advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
If you use iTunes to sync iOS apps - don't update!
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 13, 2017 12:11AM
Apple just removed this feature from the latest iTunes.

I wonder if it removes backups, too.

[www.theverge.com]

More here from Apple

[support.apple.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2017 12:13AM by sekker.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: If you use iTunes to sync iOS apps - don't update!
Posted by: gabester
Date: September 13, 2017 06:27AM
What the hell? So how am I supposed to backup my iOS apps? Just trust Apple's cloud? Then when they pull an app I've liked and I have to wipe my device I'll lose access to it. No way.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 13, 2017 08:43AM
Good riddance.

Well over a year ago I stopped syncing apps from iTunes. For me it was always a mess with multiple iDevices, and may Heaven help you if anyone originally purchased/downloaded an app directly to their iDevice. The whole "Should iTunes auto-update, should the iDevice auto-update, should one update the other?" matrix was always convoluted. And not in sync regardless.

The downside is that we got out of the habit of backing up, since we don't use iCloud. A new phone here, and new Mac there, and pretty soon you can't sync to a different Tunes library without risking wiping the phone's data and apps. I always wondered why Apple didn't tie iTunes into a user's AppleID account, even for the local machine, instead of chiefly considering the local iTunes library. Concessions made to copyright holders?
Date: September 13, 2017 08:45AM
gabester
What the hell? So how am I supposed to backup my iOS apps? Just trust Apple's cloud? Then when they pull an app I've liked and I have to wipe my device I'll lose access to it. No way.

iCloud backups notwithstanding, in the long run, any app will no longer work with future iOS updates, and in the long run, you'll be using future OS updates on some phone, regardless of who makes it.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 13, 2017 08:56AM
I don't think I am unhappy about this change. It's been clear for a long time that iTunes is a bloated mess that has been made to do too much. So stripping out some functions seems like a good idea and a tacit admission that iTunes is unwieldy, to put it politely. It never made much sense to me that iBooks were lumped in, for example.

I am already doing some backups using iMazing. I assume that the next iMazing update will address some of the changes.

If iOS 11 can handle drag and drop correctly, that will be a big improvement over versions 11 and 12 prior to 12.7.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2017 08:57AM by ka jowct.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 13, 2017 09:09AM
Good to know there are other options for backups.

Ever since Stanza got pulled from the store, I've kept personal backups. But I maybe old-fashioned.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: September 13, 2017 12:05PM
I haven't used iTunes to sync iOS Apps for years. There's no need to - since I update the Apps directly on the iOS device.

I DO backup my iOS devices on my computer thru iTunes. I think this is an essential feature. There's no mention in the two links above stating Apple is removing iOS backups from iTunes.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 14, 2017 08:51AM
Deck,

While what you're saying is true, it isn't in the long run that is the issue. It's for replacing current apps. I don't want to have to rely on Apple and the App Store to redownload apps. In my experience, icloud backups aren't reliable enough as a sole backup for an iPhone and I've seen apps get removed from the store even while I still have them. Or, an update to an app is not as good as the previous version. A local backup of the app allows me to restore apps easily. It's also faster than the cloud.

Robert
Date: September 14, 2017 09:42AM
Oh, I was speaking about what's an issue for me.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: September 14, 2017 11:48AM
I read the Macosrumors thread that someone from here posted. Still no definite info on whether or not you can backup your iOS device with the new iTunes. I'm not updating iTunes until I find out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 212
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015