advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
TUNE in tomorrow, same time?!....y'ouse guys totally forgot --> Apple also releases iTunes 12.7 with major changes.....!!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 13, 2017 06:18AM
.....no built-in app store....

.....The new iTunes is designed to focus solely on music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and audiobooks, which means there is no built-in App Store.....

Apple Releases iTunes 12.7 With Major Changes, Including No Built-In App Store

....In a day filled with surprises, Apple has shocked us once again with the release of iTunes 12.7, which entirely revamps the iTunes App. The new iTunes is designed to focus solely on music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and audiobooks, which means there is no built-in App Store.

The App Store has been entirely eliminated in iTunes 12.7, as has the ringtones section of iTunes. Internet Radio is now part of Music, and iTunes U has been folded into Podcasts, as Apple announced in late August.

Apps can now only be downloaded on an iOS device using an iOS device, and the same goes for ringtones. In addition to the removal of the App Store, today's update adds support for syncing iOS 11 devices and includes support for new Apple Music features that allow you to follow friends and see what they're listening to.

The new iTunes focuses on music, movies, TV shows, and audiobooks. It adds support for syncing iOS 11 devices and includes new features for--

Apple Music. Now discover music with friends. Members can create profiles and follow each other to see music they are listening to and any playlists they've shared.

Podcasts. iTunes U collections are now part of the Apple Podcasts family. Search and explore free educational content produced by leading schools, universities, museums, and cultural institutions all in one place.

If you previously used iTunes to sync apps or ringtones on your iOS device, use the new App Store or Sounds Settings on iOS to redownload them without your Mac.
The new iTunes 12.7 update can be downloaded from the Mac App Store through the Software Update mechanism. The update is available for all iTunes users at no cost.

ground control to....MAJOR.....Tom.....?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: TUNE in tomorrow, same time?!....y'ouse guys totally forgot --> Apple also releases iTunes 12.7 with major changes.....!!
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 13, 2017 06:38AM
Big discussion covering some important aspects:
[forums.macrumors.com]

Re: TUNE in tomorrow, same time?!....y'ouse guys totally forgot --> Apple also releases iTunes 12.7 with major changes.....!!
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 13, 2017 08:07AM
Yes, a terrible but not surprising development. Marginalization of the Mac as well as making iOS devices fully independent.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 13, 2017 08:13AM
I didn't think the app store was the problem. I thought it was the ugly hot mess of now-you-see-it now-you-don't tabs and menus and sidebars that is the rest of the interface.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 13, 2017 08:22AM
Sekker,

I disagree. iTunes suffers from featuritis and bloat. It sounds like this update is kinda moving in the direction of taking management of the iDevice away from itunes. That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I've hated the fact that I've had to use iTunes - an app designed for handling media - to manage all the aspects of my phone.

Apple ought to rename iTunes "Apple Media" and let it focus on just media. Create a new app for managing iOS devices. Call it "Idevice Manager" or some other i-type name. Let that app manage my iDevices, i.e. syncing, backups, apps, etc.

Robert
Posted by: davemchine
Date: September 13, 2017 08:27AM
I think they should call it iSync. I've even designed an app icon for it.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 13, 2017 08:50AM
As I mentioned in the other thread here, I don't care (because Apple made me not care ...) about losing the App Store.

But not being able to custom make ringtones and load them on? Hmm. Maybe we should feel lucky that we can still rip CDs and load them onto iPhones.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: September 13, 2017 09:01AM
I wonder if iMazing could fill the gap. I know it can copy apps from and IOS device to the mac. I assume it can go from the mac to the IOS device as well. Might be worth looking at. I think it can do ringtones also. [imazing.com]
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 13, 2017 10:15AM
davemchine
I think they should call it iSync. I've even designed an app icon for it.

I totally used that with my iPod!

[en.wikipedia.org]
[www.macworld.com]
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 13, 2017 10:24AM
Onamuji
Big discussion covering some important aspects:
[forums.macrumors.com]

Thanks for that. My immediate concern was how to add .ipa files not available on the AppStore to an iOS device. Support article addresses that: [support.apple.com]
Basically, just drag it from the Finder onto the device icon within iTunes.
RingTones . . .
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: September 16, 2017 05:09PM
From Apple:

Manually add items from your computer

If you have media on your computer that you can't redownload from the App Store or iTunes Store directly on your iOS device, such as custom ringtones or iOS apps, you can drag and drop the media from your computer to your iOS device using iTunes.

Connect your device to your computer.

Open iTunes. Make sure that you have the latest version.

On your computer, find the item you want to add to your device. If you're looking for Apps, Tones, or Books (for Windows) that previously appeared in your iTunes library, you can find them in your iTunes media folder.

Drag the item from your computer to your iOS device in the left sidebar of iTunes.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2017 05:11PM by WHiiP.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 264
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015