Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Animojis will be the X factor in iPhone X sales
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 13, 2017 11:09AM
Laugh at my prediction if you must. I believe this is one of those underrated features form yesterday's announcement that will sneak into the consciousness of people's texting habits. The novelty may wear off but Apple will be reaping $ from each person wanting badly to be part of the new technological expression. I believe this silly feature will make some people justify the price tag.

Apple is taking the humble emoji to a new level.

The company unveiled a new iPhone feature on Tuesday that transforms the popular images into animated digital characters that speak in their owners' voices and mimic their facial expressions.

Meet Animojis.

Apple uses the iPhone X's built-in facial recognition technology to create these lifelike characters. And you can send these characters in a message to your friends — sort of like sending someone a video clip of yourself speaking, except in this case, you have been reincarnated as a digital cartoon character.

Here's how it works:

First, you choose from one of the twelve animoji characters, which include a panda bear, a chicken, an alien and even the famous poop emoji.

You then speak into the phone, dictating the message you want to send. If you make a facial expression, like a raised eyebrow, the phone will notice and recreate the expression on the Animoji character.

Note that the Animoji feature is only available on the forthcoming iPhone X model, which starts at $999. The new iPhone 8 and 8s models that are also coming out this fall do not have facial recognition built-in, so you can't create animojis. And of course, the Animoji can only be seen by a friend with an iPhone — Android users are out of luck.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Animojis will be the X factor in iPhone X sales
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 13, 2017 11:21AM
.....this reminds me of 'Manimal'....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: September 13, 2017 11:33AM
How large is the market of parents who will buy their 12-year-olds $1,000 toy phones?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 13, 2017 11:35AM
mrlynn
How large is the market of parents who will buy their 12-year-olds $1,000 toy phones?

/Mr Lynn

I see adults using this more than children.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2017 11:49AM by pRICE cUBE.
Date: September 13, 2017 11:43AM
pRICE cUBE
mrlynn

/Mr Lynn

I see adults using this more than children,

Maybe, but not grown-ups.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: bik
Date: September 13, 2017 12:05PM
Most of the people who will buy it don't need an X-factor or a justification.

They'll get it because they can afford it and they want it and, in some cases, they want people to know they can afford it.

Some will buy it because they are adults with plenty of disposable income and they could not possibly buy something in the middle of the lineup when they can get the best for only $500 more.

Others will buy because they are young people who will pay monthly, not yet having learned lessons about overextending their credit.

Either way, nobody buys a $1,000 phone that doesn't exist. Now it exists, so people will buy it.

And Apple expects the rest of us won't complain because they still offer iP 7 & 8.
Posted by: 3d
Date: September 13, 2017 12:06PM
If there's a perverse use. It will succeed.
Argentinian Animojis Sxting.
$5.99 per 5 second clip.
Posted by: decay
Date: September 13, 2017 12:29PM
Reminded me of Chewbacca Mom.

---
Posted by: billb
Date: September 13, 2017 12:39PM
mrlynn
pRICE cUBE
mrlynn

/Mr Lynn

I see adults using this more than children,

Maybe, but not grown-ups.

/Mr Lynn

I know a couple of people that will use these animojis the same way they've plastered emojis. They're some of the same people that post pics of their grandkids and pets on facebook almost hourly. And have pinterest pages look like their closets. Stuffed with junk stuff.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 13, 2017 12:42PM
bik
And Apple expects the rest of us won't complain because they still offer iP 7 & 8.
...and 6s, and 6s Plus, and SE.
Posted by: gabester
Date: September 13, 2017 04:46PM
DeusxMac
bik
...and 6s, and 6s Plus, and SE.

I predict the phones with the A8 processor have 1 more year to live... After the silicon for the iPhone X has been around for a year their economy of scale should allow them to push down costs and put the high end parts in more devices...

But Animojis... another feature approved by the bored aging white men of Apple who have too much time on their hands and do not have any real work to do besides try desperately to come up with "the next big thing."

Time to pass the torch to some hungry young ethnic kids!
Date: September 13, 2017 05:31PM
gabester

I predict the phones with the A8 processor have 1 more year to live... After the silicon for the iPhone X has been around for a year their economy of scale should allow them to push down costs and put the high end parts in more devices...

But Animojis... another feature approved by the bored aging white men of Apple who have too much time on their hands and do not have any real work to do besides try desperately to come up with "the next big thing."

Time to pass the torch to some hungry young ethnic kids!

What the dickens do skin color or ethnic background have to do with it? Age, maybe, though the idea that old guys can't be innovative is insulting—to us old guys.

/Mr Lynn
Date: September 14, 2017 02:01PM
All that R & D $$$ used on Animojis. Shame Apple didn't use it on a new Mac Pro model. Of course Apple insists the Pros are coming but computers seem not to be a high priority anymore...

D & C
Posted by: decay
Date: September 14, 2017 02:55PM
Dazed & Confused (Mobile)
All that R & D $$$ used on Animojis. Shame Apple didn't use it on a new Mac Pro model. Of course Apple insists the Pros are coming but computers seem not to be a high priority anymore...

D & C

ROI ... mobile is where the $$ is at.

---
Date: September 14, 2017 04:13PM
Sad to say, the Macintosh computer is the abandoned stepchild of Apple these days. Any Mac news at all this fall?

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 14, 2017 04:51PM
No more Mac news. Many Macs have Kaby Lake and nothing is happening on the Mac Pro until 2018.

And then there's the Mini.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 208
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015