advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $150.21 ( -1.6767 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is the iPhone X a "one shot" anniversary product? (TAM anyone?) Or new series?
Posted by: 3d
Date: September 13, 2017 12:27PM
Is the iPhone X a "one shot" anniversary vanity product similar to the Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh (TAM)?
Will there be an iPhone Xs, iPhone XI, etc. Was it mentioned at the keynote?

I remember Tim Cook talking it up as something special (err.. magical?) for the iPhone's anniversary. But not sure if it's a continuing product line.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is the iPhone X a "one shot" anniversary product? (TAM anyone?) Or new series?
Posted by: billb
Date: September 13, 2017 12:33PM

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Re: Is the iPhone X a "one shot" anniversary product? (TAM anyone?) Or new series?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 13, 2017 12:35PM
.....a 'one shot'......like a 'cootie shot'.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 13, 2017 12:37PM
Depends on FaceID. Apple is taking a lot of risks - but they have learned from Samsung, where risk is on the Note line. Good tech then goes into the mainstream product (their Galaxy S series).
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 13, 2017 12:38PM
Pretty sure it's the first of the next generation of iPhones.
Older configurations will be phased out as per unit costs go down on this new one.
It may take a number of years, but it's the future.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 13, 2017 01:17PM
My guess is it will be iPhone X, iPhone X Mini, and iPhone X Nano. Then it will be iPhone X 2, 3, 4, 5 etc.

Posted by: 3d
Date: September 13, 2017 01:23PM
Interesting, so the future iPhone 9 might be the last one with the physical home button and bezel before merging the product lines into the iPhone XI. This will give Apple time to get the bezel-free face recognition tech manufacturing costs down before rolling out with it as the sole configuration. I see what they're doing there!

OR... since it wasn't specifically mentioned, maybe it was a one-shot. It gives them an "out" in case face recognition is not fully embraced by the masses.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 13, 2017 01:39PM
I think there will be an iPhone IIcX

Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 13, 2017 01:41PM
3d
OR... since it wasn't specifically mentioned, maybe it was a one-shot. It gives them an "out" in case face recognition is not fully embraced by the masses.

I can see this as being a concern for individuals who do not want to have their confiscated phone unlocked against their wishes. Say for a criminal investigation where presently you would have to physically put your finger on the sensor to unlock, but with the face scanner presumably anyone with the phone could hold it up to your face (perhaps unbeknownst to you) and gain access to the phone. Although, an individual should still have the option of using a passcode, but if you are not going to use the face scan then why buy it?
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 13, 2017 01:56PM
mikebw
3d

I can see this as being a concern for individuals who do not want to have their confiscated phone unlocked against their wishes. Say for a criminal investigation where presently you would have to physically put your finger on the sensor to unlock, but with the face scanner presumably anyone with the phone could hold it up to your face (perhaps unbeknownst to you) and gain access to the phone. Although, an individual should still have the option of using a passcode, but if you are not going to use the face scan then why buy it?

I can see it being a concern for people who get mugged. As long as the victim's eyes are open, even if the victim is dead, the mugger can unlock the phone.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 13, 2017 02:12PM
If it sells well at that lofty price, it will go on.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 13, 2017 02:16PM
I think it may be a trial balloon.

I expect that their face recognition, once a few million people get it, will have no end of problems. Just like fingerprint recognition on the current models. Biometrics is never "exact". It's just "Pretty good". Honestly I can't wait for the "My iPhone is racist" complaints.I also wonder how they will be 'hard reset'. There has always been some jiggery-pokery that people can do to reset most devices. An inability to hard reset a device implies the device will always be perfect, and even the most casual observer knows that there is no such thing.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 13, 2017 02:19PM
....the will keep the specs and next update the will change the name....and make it cheaper.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: billb
Date: September 13, 2017 02:36PM
ka jowct
mikebw
3d

I can see it being a concern for people who get mugged. As long as the victim's eyes are open, even if the victim is dead, the mugger can unlock the phone.

Isn't carrying a finger around a bit less wieldy than carrying a head ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 13, 2017 03:10PM
I'm assuming that the IR sensor will also be able to tell if the body is near warm-body (alive) temperatures.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: September 13, 2017 03:49PM
I'm gonna wait for the iPhone X Pizza Box.

JoeM
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 13, 2017 03:57PM
mikebw
I'm assuming that the IR sensor will also be able to tell if the body is near warm-body (alive) temperatures.
I.. wonder about that IR imaging concept. Not a FLIR... probably a sensor design, so near IR only. May not work in Canadian winters, eh ? I was also surprised to see a Lightning port.. I expect that will go away next.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 13, 2017 04:14PM
testcase
If it sells well at that lofty price, it will go on.

This^

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 13, 2017 04:41PM
Android's face ID even tells you that people that look very similar might cause the phone to unlock. Facebook's facial recognition for image tagging isn't perfect either. I don't think there's any hope in hell that Apple is going to get its face ID bulletproof, it is going to have some cracks in the implementation. That's just one faction of the trial balloon that the X phone likely is.
==

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 203
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015