Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $159.11 ( +0.44 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
xfinity WiFi
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 13, 2017 05:20PM
Question: if I go to the Gym, I see they have their own WiFi and also xfinity WiFi. If I connect to Xfinity WiFi, I need to enter my Comcast username and password. Does it then mean that I am using my own data as if I were home?

Also I am prompted to install some profiles. Any issue with these profiles?

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: xfinity WiFi
Posted by: jh
Date: September 13, 2017 05:43PM
Have you ever used Xfinity WiFi away from home? I had to login in with my credentials one time when I first used it away from home a while back and since then I have never had to enter my credentials after that. I believe it gives you a warning when you first log in that it is a public wifi so to speak and may not be as secure as your home network. Think of it as a coffee house wifi. Not sure what the profiles are however.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 13, 2017 05:45PM
space-time
If I connect to Xfinity WiFi, I need to enter my Comcast username and password. Does it then mean that I am using my own data as if I were home?

No. It's a complimentary service.

space-time
Also I am prompted to install some profiles. Any issue with these profiles?

You should not be prompted to install a profile to use a legitimate Xfinity hotspot.

At its most basic level, a "profile" allows other people to remotely manage your Mac, sending remote commands, installing or removing software, even wiping your Mac. If accompanied by a certificate it can expose your most confidential communications and passwords.

Never ever EVER install a "profile" on your Mac unless it's from your IT department and required for work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2017 05:45PM by Onamuji.
Date: September 13, 2017 06:01PM
This is on iPhone, not Mac. And it seems to be digitally signed and verified. They then let you connect to 3 hotspots with similar names: ComcastWifi, xfinitywifi, etc.

Should I go ahead and delete it?

No. It's a complimentary service.

so if I am at home and I am about to reach the 1 TB cap, can I switch to a neighbor's xfinitiwifi and keep downloading?
Posted by: Forrest
Date: September 13, 2017 06:39PM
I believe Xfinity hotspots are limited to 1 Mbps - you're not going to be watching movies at that rate.
Date: September 13, 2017 07:13PM
space-time
This is on iPhone, not Mac. And it seems to be digitally signed and verified. They then let you connect to 3 hotspots with similar names: ComcastWifi, xfinitywifi, etc.

Should I go ahead and delete it?

Jeebus!

You installed it??!!

Absolute best-case scenario, your device will now preferentially connect to networks with those network names automatically and without your consent nomatter whether they are legit Comcast hotspots or scammers trying to catch your passwords and credit card numbers.

Yes, of course you should delete it.

Date: September 13, 2017 07:44PM
Deleted!

Thanks for the advice. I only used it once, at the gym.
Posted by: Pat
Date: September 13, 2017 08:03PM
According to Xfinity, that's how it's done for iOS devices.
[www.xfinity.com]
Date: September 13, 2017 08:29PM
Pat
According to Xfinity, that's how it's done for iOS devices.
[www.xfinity.com]

...And fat lot they care if you get pwned.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 314
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015