Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $150.19 ( -1.70 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Olympic Games 2024 and 2028
Posted by: Buck
Date: September 13, 2017 05:44PM
Decision made: Paris and Los Angeles. Just around the corner.

[www.reuters.com]

But first Tokyo in 2020.
And of course there are winter olympics as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2017 05:46PM by Buck.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Olympic Games 2024 and 2028
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: September 13, 2017 06:15PM
Those are pretty safe bets to not be a disaster. I do wonder how Paris is going to pull off the infrastructure.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 13, 2017 07:07PM
I love the Olympics. I especially love them in my hometown.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 14, 2017 10:01AM
I am surprised it went to well known cities and not infrastructure deficient locations that would have to commit billions to achieve what the IOC squeezes out of recent venues.

Date: September 14, 2017 11:45AM
pRICE cUBE
I am surprised it went to well known cities and not infrastructure deficient locations that would have to commit billions to achieve what the IOC squeezes out of recent venues.

It was wise using Los Angeles. The 84 Olympics were wildly successful and generates revenues to this day which is spent on youth athletic programs. The previous most successful Olympics was the 1932 Olympics in L.A. lots of corporate. The two weeks of the 84 Olympics every freeway was quiet. It was magical. Flex scheduling and people bouncing out of town was the real MVP. During the closing ceremonies at the Coliseum was the first time I ever got tired of fireworks. So much of em.
Posted by: Buck
Date: September 14, 2017 12:16PM
Maybe L.A. will solve its traffic problems before the Olympics!
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 14, 2017 12:25PM
vision63
pRICE cUBE

It was wise using Los Angeles. The 84 Olympics were wildly successful and generates revenues to this day which is spent on youth athletic programs. The previous most successful Olympics was the 1932 Olympics in L.A. lots of corporate. The two weeks of the 84 Olympics every freeway was quiet. It was magical. Flex scheduling and people bouncing out of town was the real MVP. During the closing ceremonies at the Coliseum was the first time I ever got tired of fireworks. So much of em.

Wise, yes. Which is why I am puzzled. Look at the last few venues and and the demands they put on these places. They asked Brazil to build venues from scratch and solved decades long pollution, crime, and infrastructure issues to the tune of billions. They held games in Sochi that had no infrastructure whatsoever. The 2022 Winter Olympics is in Beijing, China. The Alpine events will be about 60 miles away. The cross country events will be 125 miles away.

I highly doubt LA and Paris will spend anything close to what the above cities are paying.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2017 12:46PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: rz
Date: September 14, 2017 02:27PM
Meh.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 14, 2017 06:17PM
vision63
pRICE cUBE

It WAS magical.

I am fearful, however, that things will be different this time around. I hope I'm wrong, but L.A. has changed a lot since 1984, not for the better in most cases.

It is what it is.
Date: September 15, 2017 11:41AM
N-OS X-tasy!
vision63
pRICE cUBE

It WAS magical.

I am fearful, however, that things will be different this time around. I hope I'm wrong, but L.A. has changed a lot since 1984, not for the better in most cases.

A lot more people have been crammed in there. The consequences of that is what we see. It is what it is though. People really really like great weather and that SoCal life.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 194
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015