advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How much is it worth? 2012 MBP with "Service Battery" message
Posted by: Buck
Date: September 13, 2017 07:48PM
How much is it worth? 2012 MBP with "Service Battery" message.
2.6GHz, 16/1TB

I was told $395 for the repair by local Apple Service Center. Top case with battery, keyboard and trackpad.
A Genius is 1.5 hours away.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How much is it worth? 2012 MBP with "Service Battery" message
Posted by: clay
Date: September 13, 2017 08:13PM
retina or pre-retina unibody version? looks like there are 2.6GHz available in both body types. pre-retina is easily replaceable yourself.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 13, 2017 08:15PM
I have that same machine as my backup, I hardly ever use it unplugged.
Posted by: Buck
Date: September 13, 2017 08:52PM
It's the Retina model.
Posted by: clay
Date: September 13, 2017 09:12PM
Looks like a pretty good price on the replacement part. For reference, you can get it from ifixit.com for $699 (new, A stock). I'm seeing used ones on eBay for about $100. [www.ifixit.com]

ifixit also sells the battery kit for under $100, though because of the adhesive, it looks to be an involved repair. Personally, if it were my machine, I'd either do the battery only swap, or just spring for one of the $100 used parts on eBay. Probably the battery route would be my preference. But I'm used to working on computers and it doesn't bother me.

If you like the computer and want to get another couple of years out of it, going for the official repair probably is not a terrible idea.
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 14, 2017 02:32AM
It's supposed to cost $199 for the Retina models.

[support.apple.com]

These prices are for out-of-warranty service. We might need to test your product to determine the final service fee.
Product Battery service
11-inch/13-inch MacBook Air $129
13-inch MacBook (vintage) $129
13-inch/15-inch MacBook Pro $129
17-inch MacBook Pro $179
12-inch MacBook $199
13-inch/15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display $199
Posted by: DavidS
Date: September 14, 2017 10:19AM
GGD
It's supposed to cost $199 for the Retina models.

[support.apple.com]

These prices are for out-of-warranty service. We might need to test your product to determine the final service fee.
Product Battery service
11-inch/13-inch MacBook Air $129
13-inch MacBook (vintage) $129
13-inch/15-inch MacBook Pro $129
17-inch MacBook Pro $179
12-inch MacBook $199
13-inch/15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display $199

Thanks for posting this. I have the same issue with mine. No problem paying $129 to have it done correctly by Apple instead of (likely) messing it up myself. I have no need to replace the computer any time soon after upping the RAM and adding an SSD into the Superdrive bay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2017 10:19AM by DavidS.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 14, 2017 12:17PM
DavidS
Thanks for posting this. I have the same issue with mine. No problem paying $129 to have it done correctly by Apple instead of (likely) messing it up myself. I have no need to replace the computer any time soon after upping the RAM and adding an SSD into the Superdrive bay.

If you did the RAM and SSD Superdrive swap yourself, you'd have no problem doing a battery swap on a non-Retina computer. Once the bottom plate is off, it's 2 (or 3) tri-wing screws and the battery connector. I imagine all 3rd party batteries would come with the tri-wing screwdriver.

Although, it looks like Anker isn't making replacement batteries anymore, so it may not be worth the hassle of researching which 3rd party battery is best, so in that case, Apple might be the easiest route anyways.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 14, 2017 08:26PM
Gareth
Although, it looks like Anker isn't making replacement batteries anymore, so it may not be worth the hassle of researching which 3rd party battery is best, so in that case, Apple might be the easiest route anyways.

Look no further than out forum sponsors - OWC is the place to go. (and yes it is a five minute fix, I don't even recall there being any tri-wings for the battery - though I'm not saying they aren't there)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 223
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015