Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $156.07 ( -2.66 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Equifax, monitoring, freezes?
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: September 13, 2017 08:46PM
Like so many others we were effected by the Equifax breach and we've signed up for the free credit monitoring (TrustedID Premier) they offered.

On the "TrustedID Premier" page it states "Credit monitoring from Experian and TransUnion will take several days to begin." Will there be something to indicate when the credit monitoring for Experian and TransUnion is in effect?

Also, I read somewhere (can't find it again) that if a person wanted to monitor their credit as well as freeze it that they needed to get the monitoring BEFORE they initiated the credit freezes as it couldn't be done after the freeze, has anyone else read/heard this?

Lastly if, credit monitoring comes first, freeze second, is true, then I'm guessing that we need to wait until the monitoring at all 3 bureaus is active (hence the 1st question) before we initiate the freezes.

Thanks in advance.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Equifax, monitoring, freezes?
Posted by: Buck
Date: September 13, 2017 08:56PM
Clark Howard says credit freeze comes first.
On my to do list!
Date: September 13, 2017 08:58PM
Buck
Clark Howard says credit freeze comes first.
On my to do list!

Oh. I guess we're doing it wrong then...
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 13, 2017 09:25PM
@#$%& this @#$%&. We're their product and we have to do their work to make sure their product isn't ruined.

I just froze my credit reports on two but a third wants payment. @#$%& that.

Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: September 13, 2017 10:09PM
When I went to Equifax and entered my info, it told me I was not one of the ones affected (probably). Can that be trusted?

Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 13, 2017 10:20PM
Uncle Wig
When I went to Equifax and entered my info, it told me I was not one of the ones affected (probably). Can that be trusted?

By all accounts, no. Seems random. Try again with a different web browser. You may get a different response.

Date: September 13, 2017 10:22PM
Uncle Wig

I don't know.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: September 13, 2017 11:01PM
Onamuji
Uncle Wig

By all accounts, no. Seems random. Try again with a different web browser. You may get a different response.

Well, tried 2nd time in Firefox and a 3rd time in Chrome: same answer. I did enroll in their monitoring thing, fwiw.

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 13, 2017 11:52PM
I tried several times this afternoon to get to all 3 Credit bureaus and could never get in to freeze my credit.
CreditKarma has been monitoring my credit for years, not sure how well it works though.

Grateful11
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 14, 2017 05:11AM
mattkime
@#$%& this @#$%&. We're their product and we have to do their work to make sure their product isn't ruined.

I just froze my credit reports on two but a third wants payment. @#$%& that.

Cheap money if it prevents a credit take-over. That happened to me 20 years ago. The consequence lasted for 3 years in a pretty intensive way and then came back 10 years later with the IRS wanting tax payment for a written off credit card that had been fraudulent. That one took another 3 months. I hate paying the fee but I do it.
Posted by: DP
Date: September 14, 2017 06:57AM
Is this the same credit monitoring service from Equifax that ends your right to sue Equifax if you sign up for it?

Date: September 14, 2017 08:26AM
DP
Is this the same credit monitoring service from Equifax that ends your right to sue Equifax if you sign up for it?

They clarified that the arbitration clause doesn't apply to those getting the free credit monitoring because of their breach.
Posted by: DP
Date: September 14, 2017 09:00AM
Good to know. However, I don't think I want to give them any new personal information!

Date: September 14, 2017 09:27AM
DP
Good to know. However, I don't think I want to give them any new personal information!

You don't give them anything that they don't already have by signing up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2017 09:27AM by DewGuy.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 14, 2017 10:44AM
I was able to put a freeze on at TransUnion and Experian this morning. Equifax is dragging their feet. angry villagers smiley
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 14, 2017 10:49AM
Grrrrrrrr. Just got my second "System Currently Unavailable - Error 500" from Equifax.
Posted by: riley5108
Date: September 14, 2017 11:01AM
Grateful11
I tried several times this afternoon to get to all 3 Credit bureaus and could never get in to freeze my credit.
Feel your frustration!!

Having some of the same problems. Try to get my Annual Free Credit Reports and get messages "We can not access your information" then instructions to request it by mail ---BS. Having similar problem getting in to freeze our credit reports, "We are experiencing heavy volumes due to the Equifax breach. Please try your request again later" and Equifax credit freeze site tries to load, but never does.

Equifax supposedly has a 30 day window for a free credit freeze...

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town
Posted by: Dazed & Confused
Date: September 14, 2017 12:20PM
I would think the criminals who want to steal identities will wait a year or so before they start. My thought is the 209,000 credit card numbers leaked will have the most immediate impact.

D & C
Date: September 14, 2017 01:41PM
It's been more than a week since the breach announcement, has anyone received the "by mail" notification that Equifax sent out yet?
Posted by: norse
Date: September 14, 2017 01:50PM
Did they remove the clause where you can't sue them if you accept their free one year monitoring?

I froze my account with all three credit companies without having to get monitoring. Isn't monitoring too late because the thieves have already used/open your accounts?
Date: September 14, 2017 01:56PM
norse
Did they remove the clause where you can't sue them if you accept their free one year monitoring?

I froze my account with all three credit companies without having to get monitoring. Isn't monitoring too late because the thieves have already used/open your accounts?

They clarified that the arbitration clause doesn't apply to those getting the free credit monitoring because of their breach.

With the freezes, credit monitoring probably isn't need, but, I think it's a good idea in case a thief does get credit somewhere (without a credit check) then you'll know about it.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: September 14, 2017 02:56PM
I have always kept my reports frozen. But, my luck, bought house in July so had to unlock. Had them locked again soon after, so hope we're ok. Jerks, jerk system

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: September 14, 2017 03:09PM
GuyGene
I have always kept my reports frozen. But, my luck, bought house in July so had to unlock. Had them locked again soon after, so hope we're ok. Jerks, jerk system

Having your credit frozen, did not/will not stop hackers from getting people's information from the credit bureau(s).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 287
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015