Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Unlocking that $140 ATT SE from Best Buy
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 16, 2017 10:51AM
Please let me know if this scenario will work out

I have an ATT phone still under contract (company phone). I could buy the SE from BB, put in my contract ATT SIM, use the phone for a few days, then put my SIM back in my company phone. I can use the SE as an iPod Touch during this time. Can I request unlock after 6 months?

EDIT: I course I can request unlock, the question is will they unlock it?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2017 10:52AM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Unlocking that $140 ATT SE from Best Buy
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 16, 2017 11:20AM
The phone at that price is subsidized by ATT so they wouldn't want to unlock it.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 16, 2017 11:30AM
AT&T will unlock the phone after six months of paid service. They won't consider six months of using it as a touch to be "paid service".

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 16, 2017 11:34AM
.....used to be able to unlock AT&T any time but it was abused so much that they put 6 months minimum before it can be unlocked now....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 16, 2017 11:40AM
Thanks for the info $tevie and Newton
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 16, 2017 11:54AM
I've had three of the Best Buy $139.99 phones this past week.

All of them say the model number is MP7T2LL/A, which according to everymac is an unlocked phone.

[www.everymac.com]

Configurations upgraded on March 21, 2017, with 32 GB and 128 GB of storage, are MP7U2LL/A and MP7Y2LL/A, respectively, in silver, unlocked, and SIM free. The same models in Space Gray, Gold, and Rose Gold are MP7T2LL/A and MP7X2LL/A; MP7V2LL/A and MP802LL/A; and MP7W2LL/A and MP812LL/A, respectively.

Phone #1, put in my post-paid AT&T SIM, and activated the phone, works fine. Upgraded from 10.3.2 to 10.3.3. Tried the AT&T Unlock website with this phone's IMEI and it recognized the phone, and sent me an email saying that it can't be unlocked for 6 months.

Pnone #2, did the activate and iOS upgrade as above. The AT&T unlock site couldn't find the phone based on it's IMEI, so I couldn't submit an unlock request. A few hours after activating this phone, AT&T suspended the service for my line. I looked at my Best Buy receipt and instead of scanning the serial number, they scanned the UPC code. I called AT&T, asking about my suspended account, the rep didn't ask anything about the phone, had some supervisor re-enable the account, and said everything would be good. With some more questioning as to the reason for the suspension, the rep was able to determine that it seemed to be related to not accepting new terms of service (I never saw anything about that).

Given this issue and the fact that I don't have a receipt showing it's serial number and that I own it, and I don't know how many other places in AT&T's system this phone might have problems with in the future, I decided to take it back to BB, and request an exchange for a new phone and no restocking fee since it was BB's error that caused this. And they were very careful scanning the serial number/activation bar code this time.

Phone #3, activated just fine, already had 10.3.3, service hasn't been suspended, but the unlock site also can't find the IMEI. I'll try the unlock site again at some point to see if it knows about the phone.

So, I don't know if these phone are unlocked, or not, I don't' have another carrier's SIM to try. The model number say's they're unlocked, and AT&T's unlocking site seems to recognize one of them as being locked. I'm getting the feeling that #1 is locked, and #2 and #3 may be unlocked.

One other weirdness, I tried to enable Wi-Fi Calling (Settings>Phone>Wi-Fi Calling), and neither will enable it, but they give different error messages, but both say to call customer service.

I also tried this on my wife's recently purchased Refurb unlocked 6S Plus, and it got the same message that phones #2 and #3 got. Some of the searching I did seemed to indicate that WiFi calling may only work on phones that were originally sold as AT&T phones (presumably locked when sold).

Edit: And my intention was to buy/own two of these, one I plan to use as to replace a 5S once I upgraded beyond Snowleopard. The second one is instead of AppleCare, and serves as a fine iPod Touch. I originally wanted to buy a 64GB SE, but at this price these will do until I run out of space.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2017 12:08PM by GGD.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 16, 2017 12:13PM
Thanks to Bo and the links on slickdeals, I resolved our iPhoneSE issue from a best buy purchase.

Once you buy the phone, you need to send in an email with your receipt. Bo shared his email template where I added my IMEI etc, and asking for a text to say when restrictions are removed. Took less than one business day.

I'm presuming it's locked for 6 months.
Posted by: wurm
Date: September 16, 2017 12:19PM
I've resigned myself to the fact that these can be unlocked ONLY after 6 months service with AT&T, beginning after purchase. Some have had success with eBay unlocking services, but it's inconsistent. The question then becomes whether one should use it with an AT&T prepaid bottom tier service, but then it's just a question of math and time. A few people on Howard Forums and SlickDeals have done the math, but frankly it's more effort than I care to expend, especially since I'm happy using it on my existing plan with PureTalk (an AT&T MVNO).
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 16, 2017 12:21PM
These Best Buy reviews on the MP7U2LL/A are confusing [www.bestbuy.com]

My take is that they were initially unlocked on Verizon only but now Verizon has changed that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2017 12:23PM by $tevie.
Posted by: pbarra1
Date: September 16, 2017 01:29PM
I have a post paid family plan account with ATT. My son broke yet another iphone 5c. I bought one of these phones around sept 1 when they were $150 at BB for my son. Went to ATT store and they put in a new sim and all was fine. A few hours later the phone would not work and the next day I went back to ATT store and they said that the line was suspended by owners request. I told them that that was not true and they restored the line and the phone has been working fine since.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2017 01:29PM by pbarra1.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: September 16, 2017 02:21PM
AT&T is owned by Satan, I thought everyone knew that...

Date: September 16, 2017 02:42PM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks

Who owns Verizon?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 16, 2017 02:43PM
space-time
Yoyodyne ArtWorks

Who owns Verizon?

That's why they call it a near monopoly.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 16, 2017 04:10PM
Quote GGD
One other weirdness, I tried to enable Wi-Fi Calling (Settings>Phone>Wi-Fi Calling), and neither will enable it, but they give different error messages, but both say to call customer service.

We've been thru that a couple of times, and had to call CS multiple times each to resolve the issue, but eventually w/ some reprovisioning and restarts, wifi sorta worked until the phones were replaced. Luckily, all of the newer phones have worked on wifi w/o a hiccup. The old phones would throw up a conflict message that had to be acknowledged a time or two, after which wifi would kick in until you tried to hook up w/ a new wifi network which required a rinse and repeat, but at least it worked.
==
Posted by: Ammo
Date: September 17, 2017 04:52PM
If someone wants to get an unlocked SE (to use on the network of their choice), must they buy a phone that's locked into the seller's network for the first 6 months?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Date: September 17, 2017 04:56PM
Ammo
If someone wants to get an unlocked SE (to use on the network of their choice), must they buy a phone that's locked into the seller's network for the first 6 months?

No you can an unlocked phone from Apple but at full price. Best Buy has discounted ATT and Verizon models. Verizon was unlocked until 2 months ago. ATT can be unlocked after 6 months apparently.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 144
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018