advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Activation lock on my iphone - HELP!!
Posted by: hal
Date: September 17, 2017 04:05PM
WTF, I swipe my phone to use and am told that I need to log into to activate. And doing that failed - what now? I'm told to call apple, but I can't use me phone.

I just shut it down - will restart and hope all is well...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Activation lock on my iphone - HELP!!
Date: September 17, 2017 04:13PM
didn't help...

this is MY phone - an iphone6. I'm the only owner of this phone.

what is going on?

Back to the web...
Posted by: DP
Date: September 17, 2017 04:14PM
The one time a landline makes sense!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Date: September 17, 2017 04:25PM
Oh, this is weird... I was able to log in via itunes and right away the screen on my phone swiched several times in one second and ended up back where it started - activation required, BUT itunes DID accept the login info and synced & backed up

and another restart and I'm back...

what the hell was THAT???
Date: September 17, 2017 04:27PM
And SOMETHING got fixed in all of this... I noticed a while ago that my phone wasn't seen along with my other devices in Find My iPhone on the website, but it is now...

I can't replace this one soon enough...
Date: September 17, 2017 04:31PM
I get the idea that this was entirely related to an apple server screwup - apple servers are always wonky on sunday and it's sunday...

AND JUST NOW, I heard my iphone 4s has enough charge to be used... have no idea how to use as a backup if needed, but assume that I somehow could...
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 17, 2017 04:40PM
iCloud sucks. I am glad you got your phone working!
Date: September 17, 2017 04:45PM
All I did was consider upgrading to 10.3.3 - I'm on 9.something. I went to the the upgrade area and was ready to do the upgrade, but thought it would be best to plug it in first and when I did, it dropped back to the swipe screen with a little notice saying 'Activation Required'.

I ain't gonna upgrade ANYTHING now... I'll wait until I get my next phone.

Anyone got any advice on how best to obtain a new iphone 7? I asked in a thread yesterday, but for some reason everyone instead left answers for the question, 'which iphone would YOU buy?' - not really interest in that :-)
Date: September 17, 2017 04:46PM
DP
The one time a landline makes sense!

I REALLY hated my letting my landline go, but there was no way I was gonna pay for both an expensive iphone contract AND a landline.
Date: September 17, 2017 04:49PM
Ooma. $0.00/month since 2010.
Date: September 17, 2017 05:00PM
I had a phone by cable line once and hated it, but that was a while ago... maybe it's time to reconsider.... but it was the copper line that I loved. It works when EVERYTHING else goes down - cable, power, gas and cellular made be down, but the old copper lines just keep on goin'...
Date: September 17, 2017 05:08PM
hal
I had a phone by cable line once and hated it, but that was a while ago... maybe it's time to reconsider.... but it was the copper line that I loved. It works when EVERYTHING else goes down - cable, power, gas and cellular made be down, but the old copper lines just keep on goin'...

Theoretically yes, but my Verizon copper line went out each time it rained.
Date: September 17, 2017 05:22PM
I live in California - that's not a problem :-)

When the big quakes hit in the past, those copper lines were the only service working. Really curious how the next big one will go since 90% of the population will be COMPLETELY without communication.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 17, 2017 06:52PM
hal,

Hold Sleep button & Home button simultaneously until Apple logo appears. It will take a long time, so be patient. That is a hard reset, and should fix it.

If that doesn't work, do the same thing again, but wait until the logo appears the second time before you release the buttons. Be very patient. That will force-restore to factory, and you can then restore from your latest backup afterward.

hal
didn't help...

what is going on?

Back to the web...

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mav/EC/Sierra/blood thinner & some other "old people pills".
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 17, 2017 07:23PM
modelamac
hal,

Hold Sleep button & Home button simultaneously until Apple logo appears. It will take a long time, so be patient. That is a hard reset, and should fix it.

If that doesn't work, do the same thing again, but wait until the logo appears the second time before you release the buttons. Be very patient. That will force-restore to factory, and you can then restore from your latest backup afterward.

hal
didn't help...

what is going on?

Back to the web...

When giving instructions for a hard reset, you should LEAD with "make a backup"... :-)

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: max
Date: September 17, 2017 08:40PM
space-time
hal

Theoretically yes, but my Verizon copper line went out each time it rained.

Those copper lines are no longer copper....
[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: Bo
Date: September 17, 2017 09:56PM
hal
Anyone got any advice on how best to obtain a new iphone 7? I asked in a thread yesterday, but for some reason everyone instead left answers for the question, 'which iphone would YOU buy?' - not really interest in that :-)

If "new" might include new to you but used...then I have had very good success purchasing used iDevices through swappa.com which is a peer to peer system. Pretty solid deals on good equipment. I've also heard good things about but never used gazelle.com
Posted by: rz
Date: September 18, 2017 09:12AM
Good thing about a landline is that it works when the power is out. BUT... the nice thing about Ooma is that, even when we lost power and cable, if someone called our number and left a message, I still got a text message telling me I had a message and I could call and retrieve it on my cell. I have absolutely NO regrets from dumping our old landline for Ooma a few years ago.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 209
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015