advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Disappearing Dock
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: September 17, 2017 06:20PM
MacBook Pro, 13", Mid-2012, 2 .5 GHz Intel Core i5, 16G RAM, 512GB SSD (Crucial MX100).

My dock likes to randomly disappear. It seems to happen mostly when I quit a program and go back to the Finder. I can usually get it back by going to "System Preferences" and clicking on the sliders for "size" and "magnification."

I keep the dock on the left side of my screen and use magnification. I do not have the box checked for "Automatically hide and show the Dock." I doesn't happen very often, just enough to be irritating. Has anyone experienced something similar? Any suggestions to resolve this minor but irritating issue?

EDIT: Running Sierra 10.12.6

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 06:45PM by MindMeld.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Disappearing Dock
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 17, 2017 06:58PM
I would try Disk utility to do First Aid. If that doesn't work, download and re-install 10.12.6 on top of your existing OS. No data will be lost, as it is only replacing/overwriting the OS, not your Home directory or any other user files.

You will find Sierra under Purchased at the MAS.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mav/EC/Sierra/blood thinner & some other "old people pills".
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 17, 2017 07:12PM
Do you use a second display with your MBP?

Date: September 17, 2017 07:13PM
No second display.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 17, 2017 07:32PM
Zoom in and out on a MacBook. You can also zoom in and zoom out your screen on a MacBook Pro (or MacBook Air). Again, hold down the [ctrl] key, but this time take two fingers and swipe upwards on the trackpad area to zoom in, then use your two fingers to swipe downwards to zoom out.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: September 17, 2017 07:35PM
The key combo Option + Command + D will hide/unhide the dock. Next time it disappears give the key combo a try.
Date: September 17, 2017 08:44PM
OK. I have re-installed 10.12.6 so we'll see how it goes. Since the issue is so random I'll have to wait about a week to see if it happens again. I'll let you know.

Thanks DewGuy, I didn't know this. I'll try it the next time it happens. Maybe I've been inadvertently hitting those keys to make it disappear although I don't think so.

Thanks all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 216
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015