Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Looking for Apple Mail Guru(s)
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 17, 2017 08:41PM
WTF am I doing wrong ? ? ?

Trying to set up some Mail rules for an older friend/client, and Apple Mail in Mavs on 2013 max i7 iMac is not playing nice...
"Bob" has two (old) main email accounts (Verizon & Yahoo) that get most of his email. When he is at work, he would like to only get stuff from his approx 200 clients (on his iPhone 7+), that we have set up as a "whitelist" group w/in his iMac's contacts. The goal is to save, and then redirect/forward whitelisted client's emails to Bob's secret gmail account so that all he sees at work is client stuff and nothing else.

I set up rules as follows (after a few others that filter non-client related stuff, like banks, HOA, family, etc. into their own folders):
Rule Verizon -
If all:
Any recipient contains "bob@verizon.net"
Sender is a member of group "whitelist"
Perform actions:
Copy message to "Sent to Bob's work gmail folder"
Move message to "Bob's Verizon folder"
Redirect message "bobatwork@gmail.com"

Rule Yahoo -
If all:
Any recipient contains "bob@yahoo.com"
Sender is a member of group "whitelist"
Perform actions:
Copy message to "Sent to Bob's work gmail folder"
Move message to "Bob's Yahoo folder"
Redirect message "bobatwork@gmail.com"
==

Apple Mail is always running on his iMac and is set to check mail every 5 minutes. Sometimes stuff gets redirected/forwarded properly, but all too often it doesn't. Bob is in his 80's, and is terrified of moving everything to a new gmail account, as his "main" contacts list is about 700 people. He literally has friends and family all over the world, that speak a bunch of different languages.

Any/all tips, tricks and/or solutions appreciated. FWIW, he did try Yosemite or El Cap awhile back, but there were some issues and incompatibilities he didn't want to deal with, so he rolled back to Mavs. Other than this mail problem, he seems very happy w/ Mavs.
Thanks.
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Looking for Apple Mail Guru(s)
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 17, 2017 08:53PM
Instead of "if all" try "if any"

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: September 17, 2017 09:30PM
jdc
Instead of "if all" try "if any"

Needs to be "all" to segregate Verizon from Yahoo into their separate folders... "any" would negate the whitelist. Also, "all" means if it fails, it goes on to the next rule... so if it's a whitelister sending to Yahoo, it fails Verizon, then should get processed by the Yahoo rule. As noted, it occasionally works as intended, but still too much not  as desired.

I'm kinda in an "Apple Mail sucks" funk...
==
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 17, 2017 09:33PM
It's not gonna work if his Mac goes to sleep.

Forward everything to Gmail at the host and set up server-side rules on Google.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 09:34PM by Onamuji.
Posted by: DP
Date: September 18, 2017 06:18AM
Mavs broke my Mail. I have a domain thru MacHighway and get email in Mail. It stopped working and MH support and I went thru everything. It didn't start working correctly again till El Cap.
Another reason I say "update" instead of "upgrade" anymore...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 18, 2017 09:07AM
Onamuji nailed it.

You could try forwarding all Yahoo mail to Verizon mail, and try the filtering rules only with Verizon to see if that worked ore consistently. I think you will end up using a new gmail account as recommended.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mav/EC/Sierra/blood thinner & some other "old people pills".
Date: September 18, 2017 01:50PM
Yes, gmail is the ultimate goal, but I fear getting the whitelist into gmail may be a bit of a time sink, and we'd like to keep everything working in the interim. Doc PM'ed me w/ some more tips that will hopefully pan out... all I need is a few 27 hour days.
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 266
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015