advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Now I'm ticked! My Ambiance App is not going to updated for iOS11 Grrrrrrrr!!!
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 19, 2017 09:04PM
I just got a message about Ambiance that I use every night to help me fall asleep. I place my iPhone 7
about 2 feet from my head, turn the volume all the way up, turn this App on with a certain background
sound and set the timer for 30 minutes. It helps drown out my Tinnitus. I asked if they were going to update
it for iOS 11 because I was getting alerts that it wasn’t going to work with the next update. I suspect there’s
going to be a lot of older Apps that will no longer wait. This was a paid App and figured I’d be safe for a
long time. There’s another very similar App but I’ll have to wait and see if they update it for iOS11 before
purchasing it.

Here’s what they had to say about Apple’s purging of older 32 bit Apps.
[urbanapps.com]

Grateful11
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Now I'm ticked! My Ambiance App is not going to updated for iOS11 Grrrrrrrr!!!
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 19, 2017 09:16PM
Well, you don't have to upgrade to iOS11...
Re: Now I'm ticked! My Ambiance App is not going to updated for iOS11 Grrrrrrrr!!!
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 19, 2017 09:29PM
Is the "Certain"sound specific to the app?

Lots of alarm clock apps will do this, but you might need to get the sound from somewhere...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 19, 2017 10:14PM
I like"White Noise"
Date: September 19, 2017 10:24PM
They made the sound I use available on Amazon but my phone says this is not available for purchase on
this device. I guess I could buy it and load it into iTunes and then load onto my iPhone. And yes I realize
I don't have to upgrade to 11.

[www.amazon.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: Bo
Date: September 19, 2017 11:27PM
I would highly recommend giving SleepMachine a try! [www.sleepsoftllc.com] It is ios11 compatible

It has 91 base ambient and white sounds available each of which can be independently pitch controlled. Then you can combine up to four different sounds into recipes with all sorts of customization. It also has clock and timer settings which I haven't ventured into. Also seems to be very efficient eith battery use. Maybe give it a shot and see if you can get something similar to your sound.

Edit: just listened to your sound and I'm pretty sure you could make something almost identical to that very easily in SleepMachine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2017 11:33PM by Bo.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: September 20, 2017 12:47AM
That’s a bummer. Ambiance is one of my must-have apps, especially when traveling but also on Tuesdays when I need to work at the computer while the neighbor’s yard guys mow the lawn with a John Deere S690 Combine and then blow the clippings into the street with a Harrier Jump Jet. Fortunately, I have a couple old devices I can keep using until they finally bite the dust, loaded with my favorites -- rain on a patio, rain on a tent, and wind at Tierra del Fuego. I can see myself tossing an old iPod into my bag just for that.

I had been intending to hold off upgrading my iPod Touch and iPad Pro as long as possible but there are a couple bugs that drive me CRAZY.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: September 20, 2017 05:16AM
I see it as laziness or/and arrogance of the developer. Apple has since 2013 - 4 years, been trying to get developers to move their apps to 64 bit, so this is nothing new. Developers who aren't bothering to update their apps either already made their money and don't see the value in investing the time to update their apps/did the app as a side project/are arrogant and lazy and would rather blame Apple for wanting to move forward. One source that I read inferred that removing the 32 bit backward-compatibility code in the OS and then the necessary 32 bit hardware architecture would produce a 30% improvement in speed and efficiency.

This is no different than the transition from 16-bit to 32-bit.
Posted by: DP
Date: September 20, 2017 06:51AM
cbelt3
I like"White Noise"

I am White Noise!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 20, 2017 06:52AM
Sam3
One source that I read inferred that removing the 32 bit backward-compatibility code in the OS and then the necessary 32 bit hardware architecture would produce a 30% improvement in speed and efficiency.

This is no different than the transition from 16-bit to 32-bit.

Whether anything is sped up going to 64-bit depends upon a lot of factors. Lots of stuff will be slower after recompiling to 64-bit. Other stuff needs major testing/tweaking/optimizing to show any benefits. And in many cases it's not just a matter of recompiling, but of changing development environments and recoding the app almost from scratch.

On top of everything else, Apple's going to reject updates that don't have support for screen-sizes of modern iPhones and iPads, so potentially all of the graphic elements will need to be re-done.

So, yeah. You're a small developer, you take your lumps and pull the product because an app that's been around awhile may just not be worth the hundreds or thousands of hours of recoding. Especially if you made the original app as a hungry college student with lots of spare time and now you're trying to deal with a real-world job and a family or your company just can't devote those resources to something that represents a very small part of your income.

Half the apps on my iPhone won't run under iOS 11.

I don't like it, but I get why they're not getting updated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2017 06:55AM by Onamuji.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 20, 2017 07:06AM
....like Ambian.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rob banzai
Date: September 20, 2017 08:04AM
I'm also an Ambiance user but a couple of years ago I decided to take another approach:

I used my Mac to record about 60 seconds of my three favorite Ambiance mixes, and then turned them into audio tracks and loaded them onto an old iPod that plugs into my clock radio.

So the track loops seamlessly all night, no Ambiance needed.

I'll see you again... when we are both like golden clouds on the wind.
Date: September 20, 2017 08:11AM
rob banzai
I'm also an Ambiance user but a couple of years ago I decided to take another approach:

I used my Mac to record about 60 seconds of my three favorite Ambiance mixes, and then turned them into audio tracks and loaded them onto an old iPod that plugs into my clock radio.

Did you use the Macs microphone or did you do it in some other manner?

Grateful11
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 20, 2017 08:42AM
"AMBIANCE FOR iOS DISCONTINUED
September 19, 2107"

Sounds like you have plenty of time left with this app.

It is what it is.
Posted by: billb
Date: September 20, 2017 10:01AM
Grateful11
I just got a message about Ambiance that I use every night to help me fall asleep. I place my iPhone 7
about 2 feet from my head, turn the volume all the way up, turn this App on with a certain background
sound and set the timer for 30 minutes. It helps drown out my Tinnitus. I asked if they were going to update
it for iOS 11 because I was getting alerts that it wasn’t going to work with the next update. I suspect there’s
going to be a lot of older Apps that will no longer wait. This was a paid App and figured I’d be safe for a
long time. There’s another very similar App but I’ll have to wait and see if they update it for iOS11 before
purchasing it.

Here’s what they had to say about Apple’s purging of older 32 bit Apps.
[urbanapps.com]

Come on now. There's been a 64 bit processor in an iphone since the 5s in 2013.
There weren't supposed to be any more 32 bit apps allowed at the App store since early in 2015.
He can blame Apple all he wants, but he chose not to rewrite his code 4 years ago.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: rz
Date: September 20, 2017 10:09AM
I'm waiting for someone to create a virtualization app for iOS that will allow you to run your old 32-bit apps. Similar to how I have a virtual image of Snow Leopard running under Parallels.

I started going through my 32 bit apps last night. About half wouldn't even run under 10.3.3. So far, I've deleted about 30 of the 100 or so 32-bit apps I had.
Date: September 20, 2017 12:07PM
Without updating to 11 to find out what works and what doesn't, how can I find out if an App is 32 or 64 bit?

Grateful11
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 20, 2017 01:13PM
Grateful11
Without updating to 11 to find out what works and what doesn't, how can I find out if an App is 32 or 64 bit?

On your iPhone: Settings > General> About>Applications

if there is an > after Applications tap it and it will give a list of apps that will not work with OS 11. doesn't say 32bit but that is the reason they won't work.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 20, 2017 04:54PM
"and then blow the clippings into the street with a Harrier Jump Jet"

smiley-laughing001 ROTFL
Posted by: rob banzai
Date: September 21, 2017 03:57AM
Grateful11
rob banzai

Did you use the Macs microphone or did you do it in some other manner?

I redirected the audio coming from the iPhone's headphone jack into the MBP, so the "analog hole" was my pathway.

I'll see you again... when we are both like golden clouds on the wind.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 252
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015