Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
A few cars drag racing
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 21, 2017 09:29AM
Motor Trend's annual quarter mile drag race. Just line'em all up and go.

[cdnapi.kaltura.com]

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2017 01:16PM by Speedy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Some cars drag racing
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 21, 2017 09:36AM
As they say on Reddit, username checks out. grinning smiley

It is what it is.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 21, 2017 09:36AM
Only 1/4 mile? Let me guess, Telsa wins?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 21, 2017 09:37AM
....where is RuPaul.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: September 21, 2017 09:48AM
Damn, I can remember the days when a new 426 Hemi Road Runner did the 1/4 mile in 13.5 seconds and that was considered incredible.

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.
- Peter Singer
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 21, 2017 10:22AM
Tesla is going to beat just about everything in the 1/4 mile. Anything even just a little bit further than that and the Tesla likely drops into 20th place. All the Tesla races I've watched that were 1/4 miles it was about dead even at the finish line. The Tesla gets up to top speed WAY faster than anything else, but after that it runs out of steam pretty quickly.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: September 21, 2017 10:25AM
ztirffritz
Tesla is going to beat just about everything in the 1/4 mile. Anything even just a little bit further than that and the Tesla likely drops into 20th place. All the Tesla races I've watched that were 1/4 miles it was about dead even at the finish line. The Tesla gets up to top speed WAY faster than anything else, but after that it runs out of steam pretty quickly.

Makes the Tesla even better at the 1/8 mile.

Posted by: davester
Date: September 21, 2017 10:59AM
ztirffritz

In other words, the Tesla only has strong acceleration in the speed range that matters to drivers.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: September 21, 2017 11:16AM
davester
ztirffritz

In other words, the Tesla only has strong acceleration in the speed range that matters to drivers.

Are you saying it doesn't matter how long it takes to go from 125 to 185? You obviously never drive I-5.

Date: September 21, 2017 11:23AM
davester
ztirffritz

Yep, that about sums it up. The Model S is quick, but not particularly fast. I think it tops out around only 150mph. All the expensive hypercars are quick and fast, they're just not as quick as the Model S. However, many hypercars can also go 200+ mph which is frequently useful in day-to-day scenarios trying to navigate bumper to bumper traffic. smiley-laughing001

Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 21, 2017 11:24AM
My favorite line from the video:

The Lexus is last, and that's just fine.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 21, 2017 11:39AM
davester

Close to 120 MPH at the end -- I cant think of the last time I even drove over/close to 75?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 21, 2017 12:16PM
Speedy
davester
ztirffritz

Are you saying it doesn't matter how long it takes to go from 125 to 185? You obviously never drive I-5.

Thanks, but I'll keep that for the track. Under 100 for the freeways = Tesla. Over 100 for the track = I need my explosive* acceleration!

* yes, literally
Date: September 21, 2017 12:18PM
.....how does it perform on the tracks......of my tears.....??

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: September 21, 2017 01:13PM
Which car was the least expensive? The Camaro?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Re: A few cars drag racing
Date: September 21, 2017 02:04PM
I believe that a Camaro currently is among the top times at Nurburgring.

[www.roadandtrack.com]

Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: September 21, 2017 02:20PM
ztirffritz

15th fastest production car only half a minute slower than this.

Paul

Date: September 21, 2017 02:29PM
voodoopenguin
ztirffritz

15th fastest production car only half a minute slower than this.

Paul

True, but that's Chinese and electric if I remember correctly. And I think it cost multiple millions of $$$. So I'll gladly come in 30sec slower for $70k.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2017 02:30PM by ztirffritz.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 21, 2017 05:21PM
Of course, a $15k Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14 would eat them all for lunch. It does the 1/4 mile at 9.47 & 152mph -- that is a second faster, 28mph faster and $110,000 cheaper than the Tesla (which will buy a few gallons of gas)

And if the Ninja isn't the bike for you, the next 41 fastest bikes will all beat the Tesla (#42, the Aprilia Tuono RSV-R runs the quarter in 10.49 and 132mph)

List of fastest production bikes

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: September 21, 2017 06:03PM
Ombligo
Of course, a $15k Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14 would eat them all for lunch. It does the 1/4 mile at 9.47 & 152mph -- that is a second faster, 28mph faster and $110,000 cheaper than the Tesla (which will buy a few gallons of gas)

And if the Ninja isn't the bike for you, the next 41 fastest bikes will all beat the Tesla (#42, the Aprilia Tuono RSV-R runs the quarter in 10.49 and 132mph)

Do they include death and dismemberment insurance too?

Posted by: chopper
Date: September 21, 2017 06:22PM
Trigger warning! Neckbeard using walkie talkie.

At least he drives and can hopefully drive a manual transmission.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 21, 2017 06:34PM
ztirffritz
Ombligo

Do they include death and dismemberment insurance too?

I wonder how many have air conditioning and lumbar support?
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: September 21, 2017 06:45PM
Ombligo

Cool, my CBR600F4i is on that list, 11.11 seconds at almost 124 mph, not too shabby for 599cc!

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.
- Peter Singer
Posted by: chopper
Date: September 21, 2017 08:42PM
<<Of course, a $15k Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14 would eat them all for lunch. It does the 1/4 mile at 9.47 & 152mph -- that is a second faster, 28mph faster and $110,000 cheaper than the Tesla (which will buy a few gallons of gas)

And if the Ninja isn't the bike for you, the next 41 fastest bikes will all beat the Tesla (#42, the Aprilia Tuono RSV-R runs the quarter in 10.49 and 132mph) >>

God, I love you.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 21, 2017 09:37PM
chopper
<<Of course, a $15k Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14 would eat them all for lunch. It does the 1/4 mile at 9.47 & 152mph -- that is a second faster, 28mph faster and $110,000 cheaper than the Tesla (which will buy a few gallons of gas)

And if the Ninja isn't the bike for you, the next 41 fastest bikes will all beat the Tesla (#42, the Aprilia Tuono RSV-R runs the quarter in 10.49 and
132mph) >>

God, I love you.

Uhoh, bromance sighting. Get a room you guys!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 21, 2017 10:07PM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Damn, I can remember the days when a new 426 Hemi Road Runner did the 1/4 mile in 13.5 seconds and that was considered incredible.

And it was slower than the '70 Buick GSX too. gears smiley 13.38 as delivered. Mid 12's when tuned.
Posted by: Drew
Date: September 22, 2017 12:48AM
My '67 Mustang was fast off the line, but then would routinely break the U-joint and I'd have to call my dad for a tow home.
Posted by: Surfrider
Date: September 22, 2017 08:43AM
Tesla 0-60mph in 2.3 seconds!!!

That is amazing, I hear it is really hard on the electric motors but still.

I raced with a Nostalgia (Front Engine) Top Fuel Dragster 5.50 at 258mph in the quarter miles...only 3,000 horsepower. The Big Show cars you see on TV have over 10,000 horsepower.

Still, our car would shake the ground!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 22, 2017 10:45AM
Surfrider
Tesla 0-60mph in 2.3 seconds!!!

That is amazing, I hear it is really hard on the electric motors but still.

I raced with a Nostalgia (Front Engine) Top Fuel Dragster 5.50 at 258mph in the quarter miles...only 3,000 horsepower. The Big Show cars you see on TV have over 10,000 horsepower.

Still, our car would shake the ground!

258mph in a flying stick...? You win the brass @#$%& award.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 22, 2017 03:54PM
Now, that ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!! My brother's old boss was the team manager for the old U-8 Oh Boy Oberto unlimited hydro. Big, honking big, Rolls Royce Merlins. Now those were fun. sigh. I miss those days of doing it with brute force and mechanical know how.
Date: September 27, 2017 02:29PM
....where is the lipstick and makeup.....and girdles.....??/

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 181
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015