advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I have this Headlamp and I highly recommend it.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 25, 2017 08:12PM
[www.amazon.com]

$14.99 right now, but it was on "sale" back in June 2 for $8.99 (19.99-11 "coupon"). At 8.99 I would get 4-5 more as stocking stuffer. it comes with 3 AAA, which can be exchanged later if they go bad, it charges via microUSB, it is bright, has 3 modes as a focused light, 3 modes as a flood light, and also has a red light (continuous or strobe) that could come in handy in some situations.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I have this Headlamp and I highly recommend it.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 25, 2017 08:54PM
.....so you have a nice set of headlamps.....and you like them....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: hal
Date: September 25, 2017 09:19PM
I decided that I wanted THE BEST and got one of these for my bday this year: [www.rei.com]

AND then I got the rechargeable lithium battery for it as well. Final cost was more than 3x your thingie, but it's fricken AWESOME.

The low setting is good enough 90% of the time. The red light is great for using with other people around (so you don't blind them) and I LOVE the lithium battery. I just charge it up before I go on a weekend trip and I KNOW I have more than enough power.

Fits in my pocket and still leave plenty of room for more stuff.
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 25, 2017 09:33PM
hal

Reminds me of the early iMacs.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 25, 2017 10:48PM
headlamps are incredibly useful to have around. really made the power outage during irma in georgia quite tolerable. every household should have one.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 25, 2017 11:22PM
graylocks
headlamps are incredibly useful to have around. really made the power outage during irma in georgia quite tolerable. every household should have one.

Costco used to sell a 3-pack of headlamps including batteries for $10, sometimes on sale for $7. I bought a lot of those after Sandy in 2012, and gave them to friends and family.

Found this video showing them, but I haven't seen them in the warehouse recently.

[www.youtube.com]
Date: September 25, 2017 11:41PM
No doubt this thing would be some variation of black and white if not for the imac design revolution.
(I still have this poster)

GGD
hal

Reminds me of the early iMacs.

Posted by: Bo
Date: September 25, 2017 11:52PM
hal
I decided that I wanted THE BEST and got one of these for my bday this year: [www.rei.com]

AND then I got the rechargeable lithium battery for it as well. Final cost was more than 3x your thingie, but it's fricken AWESOME.

The low setting is good enough 90% of the time. The red light is great for using with other people around (so you don't blind them) and I LOVE the lithium battery. I just charge it up before I go on a weekend trip and I KNOW I have more than enough power.

The red light is critical to any headlamp! I have had several Petzl Tikkas over the years and have always loved them. I just wind up stretching the elastic too much and retire them. I bought a Princeton Tec that doesn't have the red (but is very bright) it it has been relegated to house duty...doesn't get to go into the wild.

I might have to give yours a try Hal. Does it pull very tight such that you notice it? And is there enough cable to fit it over a warm hat?
Date: September 25, 2017 11:58PM
I got this one to replace the older model of the same thing. I used it almost to death (although it's still usable).

There is enough cable to pull over my fat head with a heavy wool hat on, but not enough for a helmet. I've never had a problem with the cord system, but some don't like it. Certainly check it out first.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: September 26, 2017 12:08AM
Space and Hal..is the 'flood' setting a nice even spread of light..minimal hotspot?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 26, 2017 12:15AM
I love that those headlamps have replaceable AAA rechargeable batteries. In an emergency, you could use regular batteries.
Posted by: btfc
Date: September 26, 2017 01:31AM
I'm very happy with this one:

[www.rei.com]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 26, 2017 02:31AM
hal

How robust is that retractable cord?

It is what it is.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 26, 2017 02:34AM
GGD
graylocks

Costco used to sell a 3-pack of headlamps including batteries for $10, sometimes on sale for $7. I bought a lot of those after Sandy in 2012, and gave them to friends and family.

Found this video showing them, but I haven't seen them in the warehouse recently.

[www.youtube.com]

The Costco near me still carries them.

We had a blackout in my building a couple of weeks ago that lasted all night. I crossed paths in the hallway with a fellow tenant who had JUST RETURNED from Costco having purchased the headlamp -- he had absolutely no clue until he arrived home that he would have the opportunity to put the lamp to work that very night!

It is what it is.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 26, 2017 07:58AM
Bo
The red light is critical to any headlamp!

Any knowledgeable sailor can tell you that red light provides illumination without compromising night vision adaption.
Posted by: TLB
Date: September 26, 2017 09:15AM
I just need something so that I can see the skunks before they see me. My neighborhood is having a population explosion and they are everywhere during my morning exercise.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 26, 2017 09:17AM
TLB
I just need something so that I can see the skunks before they see me. My neighborhood is having a population explosion and they are everywhere during my morning exercise.

....sorry bout that......that really stinks......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: September 26, 2017 10:06AM
SpaceTime and Hal..You both have questions to answer in this thread..!!

get to work..boys want headlamps..
Date: September 26, 2017 02:11PM
Kraniac
Space and Hal..is the 'flood' setting a nice even spread of light..minimal hotspot?

On mine, there is no 'flood' setting - it's high, med, low, red, and blinking. The spread of light is perfect. It's just as bright at the edge as the center - the edge drops to 100% dark in a hurry.

N-OS X-tasy!
hal

How robust is that retractable cord?

VERY - the old one I had for 7-8 years. The cord never had any kind of issue. The newer version looks to be exactly the same
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 212
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015