advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Craigslist Response, do you respond to these questions when selling?
Posted by: Microman
Date: September 29, 2017 09:36AM
Placed an ad for iPhone 6s, and within the first 2 hours received these:

1. .....................do you still have it for sell?

2. Hi, do you still got this

3. Hi i'm interested do you still have it for sale?

And the one thing I notice is that it doesn't mention the iPhone.

Are these typed responses or auto generated?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Craigslist Response, do you respond to these questions when selling?
Posted by: clay
Date: September 29, 2017 09:45AM
if it looks auto generated, there's a good chance it is. You could ignore, or simply reply "yes" if they're legit they will start asking real questions.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: September 29, 2017 09:57AM
I ask those kinds of questions. Most of the time the item is already sold so I ask the most important question first.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 29, 2017 10:00AM
Since whenever I place a craigslist ad, I state "If this ad is still up, the item is still available. I will delete the ad when a deal is struck.".... NO... I do not answer those.
If they won't read, I don't want to do business with them.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: michaelb
Date: September 29, 2017 10:16AM
I always ask questions about an item (but I don't use CL very much either). There are so many sketchy and flakey people buying and selling stuff. I want to get a short and reasonable discussion about the item with the seller before I bother driving out and looking at it. And so responding to Qs can be a way to evaluate that.

Those questions don't inspire a lot of confidence in the buyer and so are hard to judge.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 29, 2017 10:37AM
Since CL now has the double blind email system, i simply reply yes since it takes almost no effort, but I almost never see a response past that.
Posted by: Microman
Date: September 29, 2017 01:00PM
OK, I answered yes to all 3 responses.

Got a response from one:

I'm actually buying it as a birthday present for my son who lived in the State, I will be offering you $550 for everything including the shipping fee if you promise to mail it out to him and hope it's still in good condition

Why do these people do this crap... $ $ $.

Offering more than my asking price....
Posted by: Z
Date: September 29, 2017 01:10PM
Microman
OK, I answered yes to all 3 responses.

Got a response from one:

I'm actually buying it as a birthday present for my son who lived in the State, I will be offering you $550 for everything including the shipping fee if you promise to mail it out to him and hope it's still in good condition

Why do these people do this crap... $ $ $.

Offering more than my asking price....

OTOH, I do check Seattle and other nearby CLs for random, oddball things that aren't plentiful here in AK and it works from time to time.

Z on CL
'Hi, interested in item. Applicable questions about item. I'm in Anchorage, AK and would need to ship it here. if that's a problem, no worries, and if you're willing, great.

Thanks,
Z in Alaska
Phone number
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: September 29, 2017 02:04PM
I've shipped things for people on Craigslist before. But only if it is a rare item or the person is in the middle of nowhere. Use common sense(which isn't for most people). Nobody is going to buy a MacBook Pro and have you ship it somewhere off Craigslist. That is what ebay is for. Now a single Subaru STI wheel on the other hand I could absolutely see someone finding it on the other side of the country on Craigslist and needing it shipped.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2017 02:04PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: September 29, 2017 03:41PM
sounds bogus to me.

They are going to offer to pay you more than your asking price to send it off someplace. Then will either WAY over pay and ask for a refund of the overage... or want to send payment via Western Union or some oddball bank draft that is surely fake.

By the time the payment is determined to be bad your item has already been shipped and you have no way to recover it, or the "money".

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 29, 2017 04:32PM
Most of them are @#$%&hat$ that have looked at 10 ads, scratched their backsides trying to decide what to do, then a day later responded to some of those ads. These are often accompanied by questions where the answers are in the ads. They just don't know which ad is yours because they didn't bother to bookmark it. I answer those with "I described it in the ad" or "re-read the ad".

I simply answer with a yes and nothing more. You will recognize the serious buyer when he/she contacts you.

If I were to sell a cell phone (or tablet or computer) on Craigslist, I would meet a buyer only in the lobby or the front door of a Police station, cash only. I would not ship it anywhere.

Microman
Placed an ad for iPhone 6s, and within the first 2 hours received these:

1. .....................do you still have it for sell?

2. Hi, do you still got this

3. Hi i'm interested do you still have it for sale?

And the one thing I notice is that it doesn't mention the iPhone.

Are these typed responses or auto generated?

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mav/EC/Sierra/blood thinner & some other "old people pills".
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: September 29, 2017 05:44PM
They don't *sound* bogus. They are bogus.

This is a very common ploy on CraigsList. As others have noted: in oddly phrased grammatically incorrect English scripts, they go through a series of texts or emails that end up telling you that they will send a check for much more than the price, which you pay back in the form of a Western Union transfer. They don't care about the item, they'll give some bogus US address to ship it to, they just care about cashing the check. Their original check, of course, bounces.

I get these monthly, and if I'm in a playful mood, I'll respond excitedly and go all the way until they Priority Mail me the check (to a bogus address that I just make up, like 123 Pine Street), and then enjoy the texts that follow for the next week. Here's part of one from last week. All the names and addresses are incorrect, but you'll see that for a $300 item, they send a "check" for around $2000.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32G RAM High Sierra 10.13.4x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: wurm
Date: September 29, 2017 07:19PM
The dead giveaway is the reference to "the item" or "it". If the email doesn't refer to what I'm selling by name, it's 99% certain it's a bogus inquiry. Right into the trash bin.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 29, 2017 10:35PM
Paul F.
Since whenever I place a craigslist ad, I state "If this ad is still up, the item is still available. I will delete the ad when a deal is struck.".... NO... I do not answer those.
If they won't read, I don't want to do business with them.

Absolutely! I make sure any and all even marginally relevant questions are answered in the ad. And I include pictures.

If questions are asked that are already answered, I ignore the e-mail.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: September 30, 2017 09:26AM
Just ask people to put something specific in the subject line when they reply.

"Reply with 'I love ponies' in the subject." Or something like that.

The scammers won't do it, and it filters out the idiots who don't read.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 30, 2017 11:31AM
It depends on your priority. If you ABSOLUTELY do not want to deal with loser scammers, then don't answer those requests. THey probably are scammers.

But if you really want to sell the thing, reply. A scammer is soon going to reveal himself, but I've had several exchanges that I WAS SURE was a scammer only to eventually settle on a price and a meeting time and finally, a sale.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: September 30, 2017 11:35AM
hal
But if you really want to sell the thing, reply. A scammer is soon going to reveal himself, but I've had several exchanges that I WAS SURE was a scammer only to eventually settle on a price and a meeting time and finally, a sale.

That's a really good point. I've experienced the same.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32G RAM High Sierra 10.13.4x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 290
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015