advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The 80's at Playboy Mansion in Holmby Hills (L.A.)
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 30, 2017 11:11AM
In my early 20's, to make some extra cash I would work as a server for different event caterers. A number of times, I served at the Playboy Mansion (steak, chicken, fish). I met Hef and he was a really cool dude. All kinds of stars would be there. Think of who was hot and famous say around 1983. Of course, the place was babe central, "Hey that's Dick Van Patten! Keep it together man"

One time their event staff called and asked me if I wanted to work as a valet. That's when you called your answering service and a person told you who called and what they said. They paid me a hundred dollars that night which I felt was good money.

HOWEVER,

People showed up to the mansion and we valets took their cars and parked them throughout the neighborhood. That was OK. The hard part was when they were leaving. That's when the difference between me and my Latino colleagues could not have been rendered starker.

When a guest came for their car, the Latino guys would run TOP SPEED to fetch their car, which could be maybe up to a quarter mile away. I was like, "Really?" Which wasn't an expression at that time but hey. I tried the top speed thing a couple of times, then I realized that I just didn't care enough about them getting their cars at that level of efficiency so I not only slowed down, but I also scratched parking people's cars off of my job possibility list forever. I was always a hard worker but I was hella impressed by their expanded work ethic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2017 11:13AM by vision63.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The 80's at Playboy Mansion in Holmby Hills (L.A.)
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 30, 2017 11:56AM
I always laugh kind of a sad laugh when someone talks about "lazy mexicans"...
Every experience I've had is like yours. They work harder, with more pride in their work than almost anyone else I've met.
No, it's not universal, people are people, and there's good and bad in every group, but as a culture, they're good folks.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Microman
Date: September 30, 2017 12:07PM
I have always agreed with all of above. At least there is one job, I wouldn't do, as well.
Posted by: billb
Date: September 30, 2017 01:21PM
Paul F.
Every experience I've had is like yours. They work harder, with more pride in their work than almost anyone else I've met.
No, it's not universal, people are people, and there's good and bad in every group, but as a culture, they're good folks.

There's a "lazy southerner" stereotype too, but when you have to work in the heat you learn to pace yourself pretty quick. And when it is 100ºF in the shade you take a siesta during the hottest part of the day

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 30, 2017 01:51PM
billb
Paul F.

There's a "lazy southerner" stereotype too, but when you have to work in the heat you learn to pace yourself pretty quick. And when it is 100ºF in the shade you take a siesta during the hottest part of the day

Yes, this. Tough working hard and fast when the heat index is 115 b'c the humidity is 100% but it's not actually raining.

same as it ever was
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 30, 2017 02:38PM
Paul F.

I had this very discussion with a Mexican friend/colleague during drinks after work last night. Having grown up in a Mexican community, I know firsthand just how incorrect that stereotype is.

And yes, they are good people. GREAT people.

It is what it is.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 30, 2017 02:45PM
Believe it or not, but the Germans can appear to be lazy.

On my first trip to Europe - Berlin in 1983 - I found it astonishing how many breaks, and for how long German laborers took. I swear it took them a week to make a small sidewalk that would take any other crew a day or two.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: September 30, 2017 03:01PM
Paul F.

I absolutely agree. Here in Tucson, you'll find precious few Caucasians willing to put a roof on a house in July.

Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: September 30, 2017 08:35PM
freeradical
Believe it or not, but the Germans can appear to be lazy.

On my first trip to Europe - Berlin in 1983 - I found it astonishing how many breaks, and for how long German laborers took. I swear it took them a week to make a small sidewalk that would take any other crew a day or two.

We just bought a German car manufactured in Mexico (VW Golf Wolfsburg Edition) and it is immaculately assembled. Some people may think German-built is the only way to go, but not me.

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.
- Peter Singer
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 30, 2017 08:43PM
billb
Paul F.

Except that the "pacing" continues regardless of season and also occurs in buildings with excellent AC.

Posted by: rgG
Date: September 30, 2017 09:34PM
Onamuji
billb
Paul F.

Except that the "pacing" continues regardless of season and also occurs in buildings with excellent AC.

You sir, don't work with the same southerners I now work with and have worked with for over 30 years.
Nice way to stereotype a whole section of the country. I guess some of those slackers are also ones who moved here from other places, as we have a lot of non-southern born workers here, too. Damn, it pisses me off when people perpetuate stereotypes like this.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 30, 2017 09:50PM
Good story!

vision63
In my early 20's, to make some extra cash I would work as a server for different event caterers. A number of times, I served at the Playboy Mansion (steak, chicken, fish). I met Hef and he was a really cool dude. All kinds of stars would be there. Think of who was hot and famous say around 1983. Of course, the place was babe central, "Hey that's Dick Van Patten! Keep it together man"

One time their event staff called and asked me if I wanted to work as a valet. That's when you called your answering service and a person told you who called and what they said. They paid me a hundred dollars that night which I felt was good money.

HOWEVER,

People showed up to the mansion and we valets took their cars and parked them throughout the neighborhood. That was OK. The hard part was when they were leaving. That's when the difference between me and my Latino colleagues could not have been rendered starker.

When a guest came for their car, the Latino guys would run TOP SPEED to fetch their car, which could be maybe up to a quarter mile away. I was like, "Really?" Which wasn't an expression at that time but hey. I tried the top speed thing a couple of times, then I realized that I just didn't care enough about them getting their cars at that level of efficiency so I not only slowed down, but I also scratched parking people's cars off of my job possibility list forever. I was always a hard worker but I was hella impressed by their expanded work ethic.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: September 30, 2017 10:33PM
rgG
Onamuji
billb
Paul F.

You sir, don't work with the same southerners I now work with and have worked with for over 30 years.
Nice way to stereotype a whole section of the country. I guess some of those slackers are also ones who moved here from other places, as we have a lot of non-southern born workers here, too. Damn, it pisses me off when people perpetuate stereotypes like this.

Learning how to deal with the slow Southern style was a big hurdle for me when I moved South.

It's perpetual and the reasoning behind it is ineffable and to someone who likes to get stuff done in a timely manner it's nearly insufferable.

Posted by: davester
Date: September 30, 2017 10:53PM
All stereotypes are false. End of story.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 30, 2017 10:53PM
Onamuji
rgG
Onamuji
billb
Paul F.

Learning how to deal with the slow Southern style was a big hurdle for me when I moved South.

It's perpetual and the reasoning behind it is ineffable and to someone who likes to get stuff done in a timely manner it's nearly insufferable.

I experienced the same when I used to make deliveries south of the Mason-Dixon Line. You learn to allow for it.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: max
Date: October 01, 2017 07:50AM
One of the smartest customs, one that makes the most sense in a working environment down here, is the afternoon siesta....
Date: October 01, 2017 09:09AM
davester
All stereotypes generalizations are false. End of story Including this one.

FTFY.

- Peter Singer
Posted by: chopper
Date: October 01, 2017 10:39AM
I hired a Latino teenager to help me around the house a few years ago. I asked him to sweep the garage and my phone rang .... I left him in the garage.

When I got off the phone I came back to a near operating room clean garage. He had scrubbed the floor so hard he almost broke the mop.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 01, 2017 01:04PM
Slightly off-topic; the military often institute Tropical Working Hours when appropriate to allow for high local temperatures - 5:00 am to 2:00 pm or similar.
Date: October 01, 2017 03:22PM
Speedy
Onamuji
rgG
Onamuji
billb
Paul F.

I experienced the same when I used to make deliveries south of the Mason-Dixon Line. You learn to allow for it.

Still... standing there for 20 minutes with a vapid friendly half-smile on your face, forcing yourself to breathe steadily, staring at nothing and trying not to scream while waiting for the checkout clerk at the supermarket to do his schtick, his motions barely perceptible while he's slowly rolling your bananas around to find the produce-code (It's 4011 DAMMIT! How do you not know that?! ALL BANANAS ARE #4011!!) is a special kind of hell.

Posted by: vision63
Date: October 01, 2017 03:49PM
rgG
Onamuji
billb
Paul F.

My problem with the South is it's no longer SOUTHERN ENOUGH!!!

I friggin love Southern culture. My all time favorite books and literature are rooted in Southern and California writers. Flannery O'Connor and Eudora Welty are my faves. I've read everything. I can tell the differences in all the Southern accents and dialects. Mid-south, vs Texas vs Lousiana (even New Orleans vs Shreveport), vs Georgia/Carolinas, Black/White. There is nothing I don't love about it.

Everybody knew I wasn't from Atlanta when I said Dekalb County instead of Decab. Dacula vs my Dock-ula.

It saddens me when we can't get past all of the dramas in our country and be able to fully celebrate this culture and the amazing people.

Truth be told, I would always go deep into North Georgia/Alabama/Carolinas/Florida and other very rural areas to visit artists and to photograph landscapes. I got along with EVERYBODY. Even the folk you wouldn't think I could get along with. My friends thought I was nuts to drive in these small towns and hang out. But I loved it. Loved it. Loved it. I miss it too.

Even writing this rgG, makes me realize that I'm not focusing enough on this because it's what I love and what I'm truly passionate about. Cultures, people and what they do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2017 03:56PM by vision63.
Date: October 01, 2017 09:43PM
I lived in southeastern Virginia for a while, and that experience reminds me of this Doug Stanhope quote:

"I don't like when minorities tell me that I can't understand racism because I'm white. I go: "No, you can't understand racism 'cause you're not white; I hear the @#$%& they say about you when you leave the room! They don't hold back on my account."

- Peter Singer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 263
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015