advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Credit card theft
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 30, 2017 10:50PM
Nothing interesting, just a humdrum annoyance.

So, I have a credit card charge for $251.36 for Fansedge.com (located in Florida) on Sept. 19 which was reversed on Sept. 20 without interaction on my part. I saw it when I later checked my account but didn't give it another thought (mismatch name and number, etc., who knows...) Then on Sept. 26 I have a charge for $99.97 at a gas pump at a 7-Eleven and another charge for the exact same amount at an ExxonMobil pump, both in Homestead, Florida. I had not checked my account recently. My wife tries to use the card on Sept. 29 at a local restaurant in Minnesota and the card is refused. At that very same time I get a call at home asking me to call my credit card company's fraud department. Wife pays cash, credit card company cancels old card and new card will be sent. Easy-peasy. Two gas stations are out a hundred bucks each unless they are very proactive with great video and a cooperative police department. About half of the places I frequent now take the chip on my card but never the pumps where I (infrequently) buy gas or Diesel.

We were in Europe this earlier this summer (Spain, Italy, Switzerland and France). I think every place used the chip. And nobody took the card to the credit card machine at a cash register like they do here, rather they bring a portable credit card machine to you. I like that! It was that way in our past foreign travels, too, even when we had chipless cards.

The not so easy-peasy; I have to update our card at the few places that have a monthly recurring charge (Ooma, NPR, ACLU, ISP, etc.)

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2017 11:09PM by Speedy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Credit card theft
Posted by: Don C
Date: October 01, 2017 12:09AM
I had my credit union card cancelled a few weeks ago due to a fraudulent charge that they detected. The problem is the few days waiting for a new card and number to arrive if you need to use the card or if you have charges applied to that number.

I like to remind the bank/cu that I cannot use the card while I am waiting for a new one. Often that results in next day delivery.
Date: October 01, 2017 02:35AM
Fortunately I have a second card on another account; so I didn't ask. Also, I am headed out on a 1600 mile drive later today (I'm taking my father's RV to him in Florida) so I doubt if the card would have arrived in time (it was cancelled about 6:30 PM Friday.)

Posted by: jdc
Date: October 01, 2017 03:59AM
I can walk into my credit union and get a new physical card in about 3 minutes. Really unclear to me why everyone ant do the same.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: October 01, 2017 04:51AM
The card was through CitiBank and we don't have a physical location anywhere near.

Posted by: modelamac
Date: October 01, 2017 09:00AM
Don C,

Our CapitalOne cc had to be replaced recently, and we could use the new cc number before the new card arrived. I paid some bills online and made online purchases before the card showed up. Since Apple Pay is tied to that card, I updated that and used that where I could. I used my debit card for all other. We suffered almost no inconvenience waiting for the card.

Don C
I had my credit union card cancelled a few weeks ago due to a fraudulent charge that they detected. The problem is the few days waiting for a new card and number to arrive if you need to use the card or if you have charges applied to that number.

I like to remind the bank/cu that I cannot use the card while I am waiting for a new one. Often that results in next day delivery.

Told my wife I wanted to be cremated.
She made me an appointment for Tuesday.
Posted by: MarkD
Date: October 01, 2017 09:09AM
I have learned to print out the charges from the computer account and ask for overnight delivery of a new card.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 01, 2017 10:05AM
jdc,

You are assuming all financial institutions offer this service. Bad assumption. Some do. Some don't Some can only do ATM and Debit cards. 100% dependent upon the financial institution. And, that assumes your account is with a financial institution with a local branch. Again, not necessarily the case.

Robert
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 01, 2017 10:14AM
jdc
I can walk into my credit union and get a new physical card in about 3 minutes. Really unclear to me why everyone ant do the same.

Me too! I strugggle to understand why anyone uses traditional banks anymore. What is the positive?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: October 01, 2017 10:53AM
C(-)ris
jdc

Me too! I strugggle to understand why anyone uses traditional banks anymore. What is the positive?

Well, I use a traditional bank and also have a credit union account. My bank has offices open 8 days a week with tellers, free ATM, free (actually interest earning) checking, daily balance reports via e-mail, on-line free bill paying, just to name a few. My bank? Woodforest National out of the Woodlands in Houston, but associated with Walmart where they have tellers/offices in all the stores around me. As for getting replacement credit or debit cards - just takes a few minutes at any one of their offices so I can do it on any day of the week.
Posted by: riley5108
Date: October 01, 2017 10:58AM
Robert M
jdc,

You are assuming all financial institutions offer this service. Bad assumption. Some do. Some don't Some can only do ATM and Debit cards. 100% dependent upon the financial institution. And, that assumes your account is with a financial institution with a local branch. Again, not necessarily the case.

Robert
agree smiley
Our credit union's credit cards are issued through MasterCard and replacement cards must be authorized by MasterCard not the credit union. I can't just walk in and get a new credit card and walk out the door.
YMMV

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town
Date: October 01, 2017 12:10PM
You assumed I was talking about every card.

But the tech to print and authorize a card, even one with a chip, should only take a few mintues at most.

So when I call X bank to get a new card, it should be in the mail an hour later.

----

Date: October 01, 2017 01:41PM
JDC,

No. I didn't. You made a generalization in your post. I responded accordingly. Now you're making another assumption, which is likely incorrect. Does the process of getting the replacement card takes such as short amount of time? Maybe? Maybe not. Actually, likely not is the more realistic answer and probably certainly not without special authorization.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2017 01:45PM by Robert M.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: October 01, 2017 03:33PM
jdc

Clarification: my credit unions are 800 - 1,000 miles from me.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: October 01, 2017 03:40PM
Robert M
JDC,

No. I didn't. You made a generalization in your post. I responded accordingly. Now you're making another assumption, which is likely incorrect. Does the process of getting the replacement card takes such as short amount of time? Maybe? Maybe not. Actually, likely not is the more realistic answer and probably certainly not without special authorization.

Robert

Whichever, but from my chair, now you are just kinda generally ASSuming. =(

----

Posted by: ADent
Date: October 01, 2017 05:32PM
In Europe they use chip and PIN, so it would be awkward to tell the waitress you PIN number so he/she could charge your meal - that is why they bring the machine to you.

In the US almost all cards are chip and signature.

BTW the gas station may not be out money. The credit card companies don't require chips on gas pumps.
Date: October 01, 2017 05:49PM
jdc,

That's mature. You may not like to hear what I'm saying but you're the one who initially made the snarky comment and then got annoyed when said comment was called into question and then confirmed inaccurate.

Robert
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 02, 2017 11:37AM
....some don't have access to credit unions......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: October 02, 2017 11:49AM
Newton,

And, people shouldn't be fooled into thinking credit unions don't have fees. They have them. Just not as prevalent as regular banks.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 214
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018