advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone using RedPocket (cell service) with an iPhone SE?
Posted by: wurm
Date: October 03, 2017 10:00AM
Looks like they have some very appealing low cost plans and in general they seem to get good reviews on Howard Forums. Would like to hear some personal experience from forumites, if any use it. The only caveat seems to be with MMS, but I may be misundertanding some of the issues.

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone using RedPocket (cell service) with an iPhone SE?
Posted by: michaelb
Date: October 03, 2017 11:22AM
I looked at cheap plans last year and don't remember seeing this one. Those prices look very good. I like to bottom feed on cellphone plans, particularly for my kids. Moving between prepaid plans can be pain, but I would like to consolidate all my phones onto one cheap plan. This is confusing because they say they support "all four plans" so both ATT, Verizon and Sprint. Which is unusual, so most other prepaid plans seem to be on one network or the other. So straighttalk was the Verizon prepaid option before; but it is hard to keep up.

My kids would scream in protest, but would love to dump them onto a $10 a month plan (I wonder if they send 500 texts a day though).
Posted by: rz
Date: October 03, 2017 12:50PM
If you can put up with all the BS fees that you have to vigilantly get them to stop charging you, Freedom Pop has a free plan. I bought a cheap android phone to play around with, and decided to get a free SIM and try out their "free" plan. They give you a free month of their higher end plan, then make it a pain to try to drop back to the free one. You have to know to cancel not only the premium service, but some other thing as well. And once I dropped to the free plan, when I used up half my allotted data for the month, as a "courtesy" they charged me $8 so there wouldn't be any interruption in service should I go over the maximum. They did that to me twice. I told them that if I went over, I didn't care... just cut it off. They took off the charge both times, but did say I needed to pay a one-time $5 fee to not have the other fee automatically charged. WTF?

Anyway, I've had their service for about 6 months now, and I've only paid $0.99 for the SIM, and the $5 fee once. I've made maybe a dozen calls on it, and sent a handful of texts. No problems with them, but it obviously isn't my main phone.
Posted by: wurm
Date: October 03, 2017 07:11PM
Thanks for the comments. I'm going to continue researching Red Pocket a bit. It's tempting to get a little extra minutes and data just as a cushion. But I'm also grandfathered into PureTalk's el cheapo plan and as a result I'm not paying any taxes and fees that they instituted last year.
Posted by: jonny
Date: October 04, 2017 11:37AM
wurm
Thanks for the comments. I'm going to continue researching Red Pocket a bit. It's tempting to get a little extra minutes and data just as a cushion. But I'm also grandfathered into PureTalk's el cheapo plan and as a result I'm not paying any taxes and fees that they instituted last year.

Let us know what you find out. In my brief perusing, it seems that on the whole it's a good service, but their Customer Service and recharging of accounts can be a bit of a hassle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2017 11:37AM by jonny.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 04, 2017 02:46PM
rz
They took off the charge both times, but did say I needed to pay a one-time $5 fee to not have the other fee automatically charged. WTF?

LOL, a "no-fee fee". Dropping to new lows.
Posted by: jonny
Date: October 04, 2017 03:01PM
rz
If you can put up with all the BS fees that you have to vigilantly get them to stop charging you, Freedom Pop has a free plan. I bought a cheap android phone to play around with, and decided to get a free SIM and try out their "free" plan. They give you a free month of their higher end plan, then make it a pain to try to drop back to the free one. You have to know to cancel not only the premium service, but some other thing as well. And once I dropped to the free plan, when I used up half my allotted data for the month, as a "courtesy" they charged me $8 so there wouldn't be any interruption in service should I go over the maximum. They did that to me twice. I told them that if I went over, I didn't care... just cut it off. They took off the charge both times, but did say I needed to pay a one-time $5 fee to not have the other fee automatically charged. WTF?

Anyway, I've had their service for about 6 months now, and I've only paid $0.99 for the SIM, and the $5 fee once. I've made maybe a dozen calls on it, and sent a handful of texts. No problems with them, but it obviously isn't my main phone.
I have a Freedompop hotspot. I think I paid about $25 for it and I use it only to keep me from going over on my cell data with Ting Wireless (500mb a month - free). I keep it in the car. Never paid a cent for usage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2017 03:02PM by jonny.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 207
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020