advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
shake your groove 'thang?!....another failed Microsoft venture as they shut down --> Groove Music......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 03, 2017 10:20AM
....streaming music service.....never even heard of it......so it will join the Zune.....

Microsoft Announces the End of Groove Music, Points Users to Spotify Instead

....Microsoft is shuttering Groove Music. The company announced the news on Monday in a blog post on its site, explaining that the streaming service will be discontinued on December 31 and any customers subscribed to the service will be refunded on a pro rata basis.

Microsoft said it would cease sales of Groove Music Pass memberships soon, and in a partnership with Spotify, would make it easy for existing Groove Music subscribers to move their playlists over to the rival music streaming service.

With the continued advancement of music streaming today, all the world's music has become easily accessible across a variety of devices, unlocking new ways to discover and experience music. As we continue to listen to what our customers want in their music experience we know that access to the best streaming service, the largest catalog of music, and a variety of subscriptions is top of the list.

Which is why we're excited to announce that we're expanding our partnership with Spotify to bring the world's largest music streaming service to our Groove Music Pass customers. Beginning this week, Groove Music Pass customers can easily move all their curated playlists and collections directly into Spotify. Plus, you may be eligible for a 60-day free trial of Spotify Premium.

Microsoft said users of the Groove Music iOS app will be able to continue using music purchased through the service and stored on OneDrive, but streaming, buying, and downloading through the app will end for good on December 31.

It's unclear how many subscribers were still using the ailing service, which is home to a 50-million track library, but the announcement will be good news for Spotify, with Microsoft now officially promoting the rival as the go-to streaming service across both Windows 10 and Xbox platforms.

ending December 31.....moving customers over to Spotify.............?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2017 10:21AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: shake your groove 'thang?!....another failed Microsoft venture as they shut down --> Groove Music......
Posted by: rz
Date: October 03, 2017 12:52PM
Never heard of it.
Re: shake your groove 'thang?!....another failed Microsoft venture as they shut down --> Groove Music......
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 03, 2017 01:39PM
Wikipedia:

Microsoft introduced the new service at its press conference at the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2012 on June 4. Xbox Music was launched along with Xbox Video service on October 16, 2012.[8]

On July 6, 2015, Microsoft announced the re-branding of Xbox Music as Groove to tie in with the impending release of Windows 10. The new brand utilizes the Microsoft-owned "Groove" trademark formerly used for the unrelated product Microsoft Office Groove (now OneDrive for Business).

PlaysForSure/Zune Music/XBox Music/Groove, we hardly knew ya.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 03, 2017 02:00PM

Maybe a live concert could have saved it?
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: October 03, 2017 02:48PM
Leave Steve Ballmer alone. I mean it.
Posted by: Schpark
Date: October 03, 2017 08:25PM
Anybody want a peanut..

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 207
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020