advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Two factor authentication - ugh!
Posted by: archipirata
Date: October 03, 2017 11:47AM
So the University now requires two factor authentication for everything. If I want to log into my university email, if I want to log into the course control panel to send all my students an email, if I want to access the grading system to edit grades, if I want to add textbook lists for the next semester, if I want to do anything, I must first go to the login page for the given function, log in with ID and password then have a message sent to my phone, then open an app on my phone and give myself permission to log in then go back to the computer and finish logging in. Serious pain in the ass. Yes, I understand the need to lessen hacking opportunities and misuse but can't there be a simpler way? End rant.

Athens, OH
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Two factor authentication - ugh!
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 03, 2017 11:54AM
UMD is switching later this year, due in part to several attempts last year by students to change their grades. Not looking forward to it.
Posted by: Michael
Date: October 03, 2017 11:59AM
Welcome to my world.

In a practical sense it means I'm off the college website and email much more than I used to be. I figure when everything slows down to a crawl because we're only looking at email once per day, the administration will probably have our computer wizards cut back on it.

But, as I think of it, maybe just "not having a smart phone" would change things? I wonder if there's a non two factor identification option for smart phone luddites? Or maybe they'll buy me a cell phone and service. That would make never-ending two factor identification more tolerable...
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: October 03, 2017 12:04PM
Wow arch, your university made a mess of it. I’m sure there is a better way

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 03, 2017 12:07PM
Michael
Welcome to my world.

In a practical sense it means I'm off the college website and email much more than I used to be. I figure when everything slows down to a crawl because we're only looking at email once per day, the administration will probably have our computer wizards cut back on it.

But, as I think of it, maybe just "not having a smart phone" would change things? I wonder if there's a non two factor identification option for smart phone luddites? Or maybe they'll buy me a cell phone and service. That would make never-ending two factor identification more tolerable...

TFA process for dumb-fonez is generally to send a TXT message with a code.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 03, 2017 12:18PM
Sorry, but two factor auth is a good idea. Of course, some implementations are better than others but as long as its reasonably good then its a good idea.

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 03, 2017 12:22PM
Google's version of TFA works well. Apple's...not so much. I spent HOURS working with their engineers and had them completely stumped. Eventually one day it asked me to login again and it mysteriously started working, but for several weeks it would ask me to enter the code that was supposed to be displayed on my other machines and it never worked. The Apple Engineers wanted me to reset my phone to default and start over. That's NEVER the right answer. If that's your solution then your procedure is flawed.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: billb
Date: October 03, 2017 12:30PM
2 factor implemented poorly is NOT good.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: tahoedrew
Date: October 03, 2017 12:30PM
mikebw
UMD is switching later this year, due in part to several attempts last year by students to change their grades. Not looking forward to it.

UMD = Univeristy of Maryland, College Park? I'm a Terp alum!

~A
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 03, 2017 12:33PM
I have the text sent to my google voice number, which I have setup to forward to my email. Never have to touch my phone... =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 03, 2017 12:47PM
archipirata
So the University now requires two factor authentication for everything. If I want to log into my university email, if I want to log into the course control panel to send all my students an email, if I want to access the grading system to edit grades, if I want to add textbook lists for the next semester, if I want to do anything, I must first go to the login page for the given function, log in with ID and password then have a message sent to my phone, then open an app on my phone and give myself permission to log in then go back to the computer and finish logging in. Serious pain in the ass. Yes, I understand the need to lessen hacking opportunities and misuse but can't there be a simpler way? End rant.

Had that for years where I used to work. You had either a keyfob that was tied to your account that you pressed a button and it displayed the code or it sent you a text message. Not difficult. Yours sound pretty normal.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Billybob
Date: October 03, 2017 12:48PM
Visiting at Stanford this fall. I have no problem with their TFA. Yes, same process: log in, open app on cell phone etc. However, it only requires this practice once a week, and it is rather painless. It maybe adds 20-30 sec to the process. I might complain if it was required every time but it isn't.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 03, 2017 12:50PM
EVERY interaction ? Holeee FAIL.
Date: October 03, 2017 12:57PM
cbelt3
EVERY interaction ? Holeee FAIL.

He is talking about having to log in to half a dozen separate systems, not reauthenticate every time he sends an email. It is completely normal.

C(-)ris
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: October 03, 2017 01:51PM
TFA to log into email is a fail. We have TFA enabled for access to systems with important and/or confidential information which works with minimal fuss using the Duo app and it's lock screen interface, but not for email.
Date: October 03, 2017 03:14PM
Lew Zealand
TFA to log into email is a fail. We have TFA enabled for access to systems with important and/or confidential information which works with minimal fuss using the Duo app and it's lock screen interface, but not for email.

When you are storing confidential information you kind of need TFA. I would bet that at his university there are people who either store or email information that is protected. Hence the need for TFA as well as email encryption. It is an all or nothing deal from a legal perspective. Just because one person has no need, doesn't mean someone else in the organization won't. No one is going to want to be the person who picks and chooses who gets TFA and who doesn't. Once slip up and your life is ruined.

C(-)ris
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 04, 2017 07:52PM
Sorry, but I share the pain.

TFA can be quite usable, or a PITA.

I sure wish we could use quality TFA at my organization such as an authenticated Apple Watch or iPhone plus a Mac. 2 pieces of hardware plus a password. Seems like a good TFA approach, but it'll never be implemented.

Instead, we have TFA with 2 pieces of hardware and at LEAST 2 password authentications to do ANYTHING critical except checking email on a mobile device.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 162
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015