advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to unplug this cable from LCD TV Power Board?
Posted by: Microman
Date: October 06, 2017 10:44AM
How do I unplug these white plugs from this power board on this old Magnavox LCD TV, thought maybe those 3 capacitors that youtube video shows may have gone bad.

Gonna go pick up a cheap 32” at Costco this morning, but thought I would try this project , but can’t figure out how to unplug cables from power board. And I am not sure my capacitors are expanding.

Link I saw on You Tube
[www.youtube.com]

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to unplug this cable from LCD TV Power Board?
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 06, 2017 10:53AM
What's the source of that white puddle by the base of one of the capacitors? Looks like it might have leaked.

Did you try just pulling straight out on those connectors in a wiggling motion? Look to see if there are any locking tabs, otherwise they usually just pull straight out.
Date: October 06, 2017 11:05AM
I bought the same thing about this gunk, but I saw it in another video, and it is all over the board. Must serve a purpose.

Will try and gentle squeeze from the ends to see if cables will pull off.

Got the wire plugs off.... One of them a little plastic tip broke off, but I don't think it will stop it from holding when I am done.

Do capacitors look ok?, I don't know how much of a bulge to make them bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2017 11:20AM by Microman.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 06, 2017 11:11AM
The white stuff looks to just be plastic resin used to stabilize the mechanical connection of some components, there is more near the base of the coil shown in the first two pictures. It is the popped tops of the capacitors that is the giveaway that they have gone bad.

Can't tell due to a bit of fuzziness and the angle for the second picture, but there might be a latch on the end of the connector. Depressing that should release the connector so it can be pulled out.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 06, 2017 11:11AM
It looks like there is some sort of plastic clip that holds the plug into the jack. I use a couple of plastic spudgers, or a whittled flat chopstick end, to go after those.

The white goop is glue, probably hot glue, to help keep the components in place during vibration and shock. Since it's a TV, probably to protect against transport damage.
Posted by: billb
Date: October 06, 2017 11:19AM
The white plugs on the first two pics are soldered to the board. There is no disconnect.

The white goop near the caps and many other components is anti-vibration.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2017 11:19AM by billb.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 06, 2017 12:28PM
Yeah the caps do look a little bulgy on top. I would go ahead and replace them.
Date: October 06, 2017 01:40PM
Now that Radio Shack is closed. Is there a site someone could recommend to buy these Capacitors. I think the little blackone in the corner as well, looks raised on top. Guy at hole in the wall lcd recycling type place said they look bad, but asked what were the signs that it wasn't working. I said nothing , no lights or power. He said that usually you have the first half of that power supply and you will get a light on , but no picture. So he doesn't know if this will fix.

So I will search the internet, and if anyone has a recommendation of location to purchase capacitors, that would be great.

I did purchase a 24" LCD HDMI Samsung at Costco for $139.00. To replace this in a small bedroom. Should work fine, and we will see how we deal with size.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 06, 2017 01:41PM
....with aplomb.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 06, 2017 01:54PM
Looks like you need to replace 1000µF 35v? You can always go with a higher voltage, but make sure the capacitance matches.

I always recommend PartsExpress.com, check out these 35v high temp radial - [www.parts-express.com]

They also have a 50v for a few cents more - [www.parts-express.com]

Either one should last longer than the originals you have there, or you can go cheaper (but why) and replace like for like- [www.parts-express.com]

can't quite make out the specs on the black one, 300µF 450v?
Posted by: The Grim Ninja
Date: October 06, 2017 03:01PM
I buy most of my parts from Mouser, but their site can be a bit intimidating. They just have so many parts that it can be a bit of an overload of information to try to sift through.

The caps don't even need to be bulging to be bad, the bulging is just a visual indicator that something is definitely wrong. I'd replace, at minimum, the 3 identical caps. I would probably do the other two nearby while it was apart. Essentially everything near that heatsink. Caps don't like heat. The huge cap near the AC is probably safe. Looks like there may be 2 other small caps in there. They're probably fine, I wouldn't replace them initially, but I would order them so I wouldn't need to pay extra shipping in the event they're bad.

You can just cut away the glue if needed. It's mostly there to keep things in place during transport.
Date: October 06, 2017 03:08PM
Will look at both sites recommended above, TY

Black one appears to be 35V 220uf and larger black one that appears ok, is a 1000uf at 16V

ty
Posted by: Carm
Date: October 06, 2017 09:36PM
I replaced bad caps on a friends motherboard. Get a pen type spring loaded suction. It is worth it. The job is easy once you figure out how to do the first one. The motherboard I repaired had a cap kit online because it was a known problem so sellers would put the caps together in sets for particular motherboards.

As for the cable unplug, if it's possible use a razor from a box cutter to get between the two combined parts and pry apart. If not you will have to repair the board while connected. But more than likely it comes apart.
Date: October 07, 2017 09:20AM
Carm, yes I have two 42" Vizio's out in the garage. One picture goes off, and other no HDMI ports. Had researched it as well, but when I took back off, did not look exactly like Youtube Video that I was going to use to replace the board., But thanks for the idea of pen type spring loaded suction.... I was going to Frys Electronics today, and will include that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 246
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015