advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
GRILL TALK - How hot does your grill get?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 08, 2017 10:03PM
previous thread - [forums.macresource.com]

I grilled a whole chicken tonight. I'd say it was an A-/B+ effort depending on how picky you want to be.

I still want more flame!

When I use the oven and cook a large piece of meat, I want to finish it with a nice sear. That seems to be a little more work than using the oven (surprisingly!). I can get the oven up past 500°F but it doesn't seem like the grill gets that hot.

The butterflied chicken method i'm using involves turning up 1 or 2 burners on high and placing the chicken on the opposite side of the grill so it cooks indirectly. Its a 3 burner grill and going with only one burner isn't quite enough. About halfway through I turned the middle burner on low. I think next time I'll try two burners on high.

Next time I might just do chicken thighs. I think smaller pieces might be a bit easier on the grill.

How does this compare to your gas grilling experience?

---

I suspect the grill is getting up to 400°F-ish degrees based on my experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2017 10:28PM by mattkime.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: GRILL TALK - How hot does your grill get?
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: October 08, 2017 10:10PM
Oh, well over 500 degrees. I checked the lid thermometer for accuracy, and it read 400 when it was closer to 425. The thermometer goes to 600, and it gets pegged. I had to replace the grates when the brazes failed after I left it heating for too long. It’s a Weber Genesis Silver.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: October 08, 2017 10:16PM
I have a wood pellet grill that tops out around 420. I love it for the flavor and for the very forgiving cooking method. On the downside it isn't nearly hot enough for steak. I have been kicking around the idea of adding a small natural gas grill (I'm already piped) for this purpose.

A friend of mine maintains three different types of grills to satisfy different cooking styles.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 08, 2017 10:45PM
Around 600 in the summer, maybe 500 in the winter. Now, at the grate temp, I'm not sure.
Posted by: Carm
Date: October 09, 2017 05:02AM
Around 600 ish. I just grill thin steak most of the time and some chicken breast/thighs. I've done 1 - 2 inch steak on occasion and they have come out great, after learning the proper way to cook that thick a steak. Sear first then indirect heat.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: October 09, 2017 07:06AM
I'm sure I could easily get over 600. I have never had all three burners going on high. I also have a Weber Genesis Silver.

Every time you lift your lid, you add 5 minutes to the cooking time.

The Forum software doesn't like it when you use the degree symbol.
at least the one I tried.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Date: October 09, 2017 07:46AM
>Every time you lift your lid, you add 5 minutes to the cooking time.

I was checking the chicken every 10 min. I probably should have checked less.
Date: October 09, 2017 08:11AM
Indirect will take longer to cook. Should be no flareups unless part of the chicken has to be over some of the flame.
Google for indirect cooking time for chicken. That also depends on how hot you are running each burner.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Spiff
Date: October 09, 2017 08:43AM
I converted my propane to a natural gas grille. It now gets to about 450 on normal days, 500 during the heat of SC summers. I modified it in such a way, though, that it cooks great, even if the lid is lifted.

I replaced the heat shields over the burners with a layer of lava rock. The lava rock holds in the heat like crazy and gives a more even cooking surface (there still are some hot spots, but not nearly as bad). I find this has improved the cooking time.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 09, 2017 12:23PM
I think about 650, maybe higher, but I have a Camp Chef oven.

Charcoal, probably 900
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 09, 2017 06:09PM
Gotten mine to about 750. Don't want to go any higher and probably shouldn't have taken it above 700.
Date: October 09, 2017 06:28PM
Spiff
I converted my propane to a natural gas grille. It now gets to about 450 on normal days, 500 during the heat of SC summers. I modified it in such a way, though, that it cooks great, even if the lid is lifted.

I replaced the heat shields over the burners with a layer of lava rock. The lava rock holds in the heat like crazy and gives a more even cooking surface (there still are some hot spots, but not nearly as bad). I find this has improved the cooking time.

Lava rocks sound nice!

...then I found the GrillGrate

Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 09, 2017 06:49PM
I sure want a set of grill grates!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 09, 2017 07:03PM
My grill gets hotter than need be. I'll go five minutes on a side and my meat is ready. No thermometer but it gets hot.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2017 09:42PM by Speedy.
You are one lucky man, Speedy . . .
Date: October 09, 2017 08:31PM
Speedy
My girl gets hotter than need be. I'll go five minutes on a side and my meat is ready. No thermometer but it gets hot.

You are one lucky man, Speedy

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

— David Rains Wallace
Re: You are one lucky man, Speedy . . .
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 09, 2017 09:42PM
I need to work on autocorrect. Or proofreading.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2017 09:42PM by Speedy.
Date: October 09, 2017 10:17PM
I need a good thermometer to use with the grill. I think I'll do that before investing in a new grilling surface.

Posted by: kurtzie
Date: October 10, 2017 01:39PM
mattkime
I need a good thermometer to use with the grill. I think I'll do that before investing in a new grilling surface.

I have these thermometers for grilling.

This one for meat

Amazon

and this for on the grate

Amazon
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: October 10, 2017 07:55PM
Fairly certain I've seen my Weber Genesis over 550 when burning it off.

Grateful11
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 10, 2017 09:30PM
mattkime
>Every time you lift your lid, you add 5 minutes to the cooking time.

I was checking the chicken every 10 min. I probably should have checked less.

If yer lookin', yer not cookin'. But with some practice you won't be lifting the lid as often. No sin there.

Gas grills are heat limited by their design. So, some can get hotter than others. And that assumes it's working correctly. There's a lot (burners and regulator, mainly) that limit gas flow.

Remove the grease shields over one of the burners to allow that burner to deliver more direct heat. The other solutions are a more expensive gas grill, a charcoal one, or ...

... start searing with either a cast iron or carbon steel pan. Both will do something a grill won't: put heat evenly on the entire surface of the steak.* You give up sexy grill marks on your steak for an honest sear that won't render the first layer gray.

*An exception to that is the "cold grate" method of searing. Cook indirect normally, but when it comes time to sear, introduce the meat to a grate that hasn't bee sitting over heat the whole time. That either means swapping on a spare grate, or with a Weber kettle, just rotate the grate around, putting the "cold" side over coals. smiling smiley As with searing in a pan, you get all heat, an all even sear, no grill marks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 220
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018