advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I missed my opportunity to...
Posted by: wave rider
Date: October 08, 2017 11:39PM
...to post from my hospital bed as is popular with us forumites, so I am posting from my rehab bed.

Fifteen days ago, ironically, on an inaugural thirty minute "health" walk with a friend, I tripped on a tree root created uneven sidewalk and fell. Fell hard. Noted my left leg was not pointed in the correct direction. 911, fire department, my first ambulance ride ever straight into an emergency room bed. X-rays revealed four fractures in my left femur. Surgery the next afternoon, titanium rod inserted in the femur with a number of screws and possibly other hardware.

Morphine is a good thing. It did make me nauseous, was switched to Norco sometime after the surgery. Was told later that I had lost half my blood volume to internal bleeding and while on the operating table. Was transfused a couple pints two days after surgery, my first transfusion ever.

Was transferred to a skilled nursing facility four days after surgery for rehab, I have to learn to walk again. Was told to stand on the leg, it promotes faster bone healing. Still am unable to step forwards with the left leg using a walker, foot feels like the Magneto has stuck it to the floor. I am getting better at moving backwards though, can step with the right and slide the left back. A breakthrough was being able to get myself on and off the bed. I need to become accomplished on stairs so I can go home.

Surgeon told me to expect a step down in mobility; that I would probably have to use a cane the rest of my life. We shall see says the guy who is going to be a rehab demon...

=wr=
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I missed my opportunity to...
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 08, 2017 11:43PM
Remember, pics of you giving sponge baths to the hot nurses or it didn't happen.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 08, 2017 11:47PM
wow, that was *the* definition of "have a nice trip see you next fall." =(

Really hoping that "posting from my hospital bed" isnt becoming *more* popular here =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: October 08, 2017 11:51PM
Racer X
Remember, pics of you giving sponge baths to the hot nurses or it didn't happen.

smiley-laughing001

Sadly, not gonna happen. Occupational therapists make me wash myself with basin and washcloth, part of the rehab process they say. Dang...

=wr=
Date: October 08, 2017 11:55PM
jdc
wow, that was *the* definition of "have a nice trip see you next fall." =(

Really hoping that "posting from my hospital bed" isnt becoming *more* popular here =)

Me too. This aging thing sucks...

=wr=
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 09, 2017 12:06AM
Ouch! cry smiley

Sounds like you've got a GREAT attitude and, are willing to work hard at rehab. I wish you the best!
Posted by: davemchine
Date: October 09, 2017 12:22AM
I didn't realize posting from a hospital bed was so popular or I would have done it last saturday night. Getting old sucks. Hope you recover quickly.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: October 09, 2017 01:03AM
Take care (that was a bit late).

Good luck with the rehab.

Give us updates.

Paul

Posted by: rob banzai
Date: October 09, 2017 01:40AM
I'm glad you still have all your parts even if some of them no longer have their original arrangement.

I'll see you again... when we are both like golden clouds on the wind.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: October 09, 2017 03:25AM
Damn bro, I feel really bad for you. I'm glad you have a good attitude, though I'm sure it's not easy. One way or another most all of us are bound to experience something like this, either directly, or through family and non-virtual friends. Such is life on the mortal coil. At least we're living in a time that medicine can do some great things about it.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: October 09, 2017 03:40AM
If we all lived closer together we could have our own wing at the hospital.

I am living with the feeling that I could have another episode of my colon twisting and that surgery could be necessary. If that happens, I don't see how I could survive that operation.

Between the two my heart failure and my failing kidney, I feel that I am living on borrowed time, but aren't we all?

Sucks to have health issues, doesn't it?

Good luck with your rehab, wave rider! old fogey smiley

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: October 09, 2017 05:07AM
Gene, you have such a positive outlook too. Guess we need to. I shudder to think when I have to go thru such ordeals. And heck, if we all lived near each other, not only could we have our own wing...we can visit with each other!
Posted by: GeneL
Date: October 09, 2017 05:22AM
Carnos Jax
Gene, you have such a positive outlook too. Guess we need to. I shudder to think when I have to go thru such ordeals. And heck, if we all lived near each other, not only could we have our own wing...we can visit with each other!

YAY! hot smiley

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: DP
Date: October 09, 2017 06:54AM
I'm wondering how, while you were "just" walking, that tripping and falling caused four fractures! Looking into weak bones at all?
Nonetheless, glad you're getting better and hope you don't stay in rehab any longer than necessary!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: billb
Date: October 09, 2017 06:54AM
wave rider

Surgeon told me to expect a step down in mobility; that I would probably have to use a cane the rest of my life. We shall see says the guy who is going to be a rehab demon...

Give 'em hell and prove 'em wrong.....
A lot of healing is supposedly attitude driven.

I fell running on a veiny lump from a tree root in an asphalt sidewalk . That crap sidewalk is supposedly also the cause of my plantar fasciitis from running apprehensively and cautiously and "wrong".
Didn't think I fell that hard at the time but it was hard enough for my phone to come out of my back pocket and go flying about 15/20 feet. Guess I'm lucky I fell the way I did and only got a few pebbles in my left palm of my hand.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 09, 2017 07:29AM
Glad you've kept some of your humor!

Good luck with your recovery.
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 09, 2017 07:40AM
Damn, that sounds awful
I fell a few months ago, shoe just caught wrong on some new asphalt and I went down during a fast walk, and I badly sprained my ankle and scraped my other knee. It has taken longer to heal that I thought it should, but it feels almost back to normal now.
Give them hell in rehab and I'll bet you will do well.
There are a lot of cool canes out there now, but I hope you will be able to get so you don't need one.
Best of luck with the healing.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 09, 2017 07:50AM
Hey ! Welcome to the club... because now... we all have Scrap Value !!!!! Titanium is better than the stainless steel I've got. But you'll laugh at the X-Rays... it always looks like the kind of crappy repair you do to a busted chair leg. Screws in every direction !

Seriously glad you are on the mend, and keep at the physical therapy. Mine didn't go too well, and I had to run through it again a year or so later. 20 years later it's still painful.
Date: October 09, 2017 08:15AM
DP
I'm wondering how, while you were "just" walking, that tripping and falling caused four fractures! Looking into weak bones at all?
Nonetheless, glad you're getting better and hope you don't stay in rehab any longer than necessary!

I am certain that treatments for the two completely separate and unrelated cancers I had in the last year have thinned or brittled my bones. Bone density scan is scheduled for the end of the month.

Haven't mentioned the cancers here before 'cause, well, you know, didn't know if I would survive. Hence my foray into having the Celebration Genie (thank you!) setting me up a birthday thread for the first time.

GeneL, was thinking of you when I started this thread. We have a virtual community in this corner of the interwebs that has linked us together for nigh on twenty years and I sure do value it.

So, I raise a glass of ice water to all and wish everyone, as my good buddy intones, health and friendship. In the end, what more is there?

=wr=
Posted by: raz
Date: October 09, 2017 08:39AM
Welcome to the post-from-the-bed club.

My condolences on the accident, but you're doing everything right. Take the drugs, and be aggressive on the rehab. And get he heck out of the facility. Focus on the goals. A hot shower at home. Your own bed. Non hospital food.

As to the latter, it's highly likely that there are no restrictions on outside food. Assuming you have a friend/spouse/other who visits you, you can ask for some soup from a favorite restaurant, milk shake, cheeseburger, ...

It really makes the day better.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: decay
Date: October 09, 2017 08:41AM
I guess that career move to joining the Rockettes is going to the back burner!

Heal up and best wishes!

---
Posted by: riley5108
Date: October 09, 2017 09:13AM
wave rider
Was transferred to a skilled nursing facility four days after surgery for rehab, I have to learn to walk again.

At times Rehab of any kind can be physically and emotionally brutal. Sounds like the last year or so has not been overly kind. Yet, You have such a positive attitude -- something many of us, including myself, could learn from. As rgG said, "Give them hell in rehab and I'll bet you will do well."

Warmest thoughts for a quick and successful transition through the learning to walk again process.

All the best...

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town
Posted by: Ammo
Date: October 09, 2017 10:54AM
Yikes! That must have been very painful. Please don't misunderstand my intent, but it could have been even worse if you had struck your head on the sidewalk, too. I'm glad you didn't. Good luck with your rehab.

Inside every old person is a young person saying "what happened?"

“Love is the motive, but justice is the instrument.” - Reinhold Niebuhr

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: October 09, 2017 11:28AM
What a rough year. Wishing you complete recovery and decades of healthy life to come! smileys with beer
Posted by: billb
Date: October 09, 2017 11:50AM
Ammo
Yikes! That must have been very painful. Please don't misunderstand my intent, but it could have been even worse if you had struck your head on the sidewalk, too. I'm glad you didn't. Good luck with your rehab.

Hey now, sidewalks are expensive to fix.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: October 09, 2017 12:49PM
Thanks for checking in. We're here for you!
Date: October 09, 2017 01:02PM
Ammo

Very good point. Fire was first on scene first and asked multiple times if I hit my head. There was a long rapid stream of questions as I related my medical history and the drugs I have to take. EMT took over with more questions. I sensed about 15 personnel around me. There was a pause in the questioning and in a loud voice, I said:

"Thank God I have Medicare!"

EVERYBODY laughed! Couldn't help myself from joking around...

=wr=
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 09, 2017 01:10PM
Wow! I'm glad you are feeling better.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 09, 2017 05:45PM
Damn, wave rider, what a terrible year you've had. I am hoping like crazy that things go only uphill for you from now on. You are a good sport, I must say! Here's to you surpassing expectations and making a great recovery.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: October 09, 2017 05:49PM
Woah! So sorry to hear that you were severely injured. You did all that just walking? Now you sound like my elderly Aunt. She is quite fit, and a few years ago (she was about 85) she was doing her daily 2 mile walk and tripped on an uneven piece of sidewalk. She landed face first, and broke her jaw, as well as getting all scraped and banged up. She finally healed and is back to all of her routines. She turned 90 not long ago.

Heal quickly, and I hope you don't have any lingering effects from the spill.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: October 09, 2017 05:54PM
billb
Ammo

Hey now, sidewalks are expensive to fix.

When I was still working in Flint, MI as a journeyman carpenter, one of the crew told us how he turned down the job of replacing sidewalks for the city. They were going to give him $100. per section replaced. I thought it was good money for little work, but I guess he was doing much better than that with his after work construction business. That was about 15 years ago.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: October 09, 2017 06:48PM
Best wishes toward a speedy recovery beyond that of the doctor's estimate!

Bryan
Posted by: lost in space
Date: October 09, 2017 11:31PM
Damn! glad to hear you're on the mend. Thank god for tech in orthopedic surgery. I have a titanium rod in my femur; if it weren't for that, I'd still be dealing a a fracture that didn't heal for 40 years. So, you're timing is good!

Your sense of humor will serve you well, as will your spite that will prove the naysayers wrong!

Date: October 10, 2017 01:34AM
I have to give a shoutout to all healthcare providers, mine have been so kind. I would be unable to do their job, I have too much empathy and could not bear the heartbreak of every person that passes. These folks are saints as far as I am concerned.

=wr=
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 237
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015