advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Epic browser
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: October 09, 2017 11:41AM
It's probably well known however some might not know and could find this useful. On the 'Friendly' forum people sometimes post links to The Washington Post but to read them you need to have a subscription however the WP appears to be perfectly readable when viewed in the Epic browser.

Paul

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Epic browser
Posted by: GeneL
Date: October 09, 2017 12:03PM
Speaking of subscriptions, Paul I have a question for you.

Quite a while ago, I tried out a VPN with the idea that I would be able to access some BBC shows that we would enjoy watching. I was able, at that time, to find a series that I had never heard of.

Fast forward, I am trying out a new VPN and it has allowed me to see the BBC schedules. Unfortunately, I can't get past the filter that asks for me to log in or to create an account.

Since, I was able to get in before, I am wondering if there is a way to watch the some of the BBC shows? I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to view BBC content.

Thanks for your thoughts.

GeneL

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 09, 2017 12:19PM
Or you could get a cheap online subscription to the WaPo, which is serving an incredibly important role these days.
Date: October 09, 2017 12:55PM
pdq
Or you could get a cheap online subscription to the WaPo, which is serving an incredibly important role these days.

I understand they should be supported but here in the UK I already subscribe to a number of online news providers and with the WP I only want to see what another forum member has posted about. Occasionally someone will do a cut and paste for those of us without subscriptions.

Who knows, maybe in the future I will stump up the cash but for now I cannot justify it as so much of the content is US based. Yes, the US is the centre of the universe but other areas exist as well.

Paul

Date: October 09, 2017 01:03PM
GeneL
Since, I was able to get in before, I am wondering if there is a way to watch the some of the BBC shows? I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to view BBC content.

Here in the UK we have the TV Licence which everyone who watches must buy. For a while there was a quirk whereby watching catch up via internet streaming was still allowable however that has finished so watching needs a licence. At the change the BBC brought in a new procedure to go through before accessing their iPlayer which asks you to register and confirm you have a licence. There is no check at this point that you are telling the truth, they don't ask for the number but other checks based on names and addresses probably occur later. I think you have hit that. I'm sure there is a way round it but I do not know of it at the moment.

What was the series you found and more importantly, how are you doing?

Paul

Posted by: mrlynn
Date: October 09, 2017 10:23PM
pdq

That makes this thread a candidate for The Other Side.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 10, 2017 12:43AM
Shut off JavaScript and then reload the WP page you want to read. This works for the NYT as well.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: October 10, 2017 04:59AM
Or read it in a private window.
Posted by: Wags
Date: October 10, 2017 11:26AM
Or in Safari go to Preferences>Privacy>Manage Web Site Data - clear out the cache. Gives you a week or so of access.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: October 10, 2017 11:33AM
mrlynn
pdq

That makes this thread a candidate for The Other Side.

/Mr Lynn

Yeah, no. It does not.

I'm tempted to subscribe to the WaPo. But I already subscribe to the NYT, and there is just sooo much material there, I barely skim the surface. So doing both of them would just be too much stuff. Besides, subscriptions start adding up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 222
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015