Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Next Data Breach: Whole Foods
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: October 09, 2017 03:17PM
[gizmodo.com]

If the whole Equifax debacle changes anything at all, it should be the public perception of what a responsible disclosure looks like in the wake of a devastating data breach.

That’s a lesson that, incredibly, Whole Foods seems determined to ignore.

It’s been 12 days since Whole Foods first disclosed that its point-of-sale systems were compromised, leaving an untold number of credit card holders at risk. The following day, Gizmodo reported that as many as 117 venues may have been impacted. At the same time, the company, which was recently acquired by Amazon, set up a website that allows the public to see which stores are involved. But since then, the company has gone dark.

To date, Whole Foods’ initial statement on September 28th represents the entirety of its public disclosure. In an email to Gizmodo on Monday, the company again declined to say when the company first discovered the breach. Did it wait days, weeks, or months to notify the public? That is information Whole Foods has readily on hand and is refusing to divulge. The supermarket chain has further refused to say whether any potentially compromised customers have been contacted individually.

In many ways, Whole Foods is offering the public even less information than Equifax did in the days following its data breach announcement, which Equifax is universally recognized for having totally borked.

For the most part, the company has limited its disclosure to information that downplays the potential impact of the breach. It will say, for instance, that checkout systems in the grocery sections of the stores were not impacted. It is also careful to emphasize that “about 117 venues” does not equal 117 stores; the breach, Whole Foods says, only affected customers of in-store taprooms and restaurants, and some stores contain both. It was quick to note that the breach did not involve any of Amazon’s systems.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Next Data Breach: Whole Foods
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: October 09, 2017 04:26PM
How about CC companies just issue new cards/numbers with each monthly bill. /sarcasm

Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 09, 2017 05:40PM
Zoidberg
How about CC companies just issue new cards/numbers with each monthly bill. /sarcasm
Something along those lines is probably where we'll end up. Not being a tech person I can't guess how it will work, but things can't keep going like this.

Posted by: billb
Date: October 09, 2017 06:49PM
Good luck draining the swamp culture of lies, deceit and disinformation.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 09, 2017 07:00PM
billb
Good luck draining the swamp culture of lies, deceit and disinformation.

Corporations have always been like this. Regulation will help but many will retreat to the swamp when profits are compromised.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 09, 2017 07:03PM
Sounds like cash is the solution, for the shoppers, that is.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: October 09, 2017 10:07PM
Now you tell me!

I took Mavis to our local While foods for a bite last night. When I paid the bill, the young lady who had served us gave me the printout, which I noticed had no place to sign or to leave a tip. She told us that their system was down, so I gave her a cash tip.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but reading this post, I am wondering if I was hacked. I already had asked for a freeze due to the Equifax breach.

I really hate this!

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: gabester
Date: October 10, 2017 05:55AM
Racer X
Sounds like cash is the solution, for the shoppers, that is.

And people laugh at me because I try to use cash most of the time. I can't always, and that means I'm nearly as likely to suffer from one of these breaches in the future, but it can't be helped.

Cash at the pump for the last five years!
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 10, 2017 04:16PM
GeneL
Now you tell me!

I took Mavis to our local While foods for a bite last night. When I paid the bill, the young lady who had served us gave me the printout, which I noticed had no place to sign or to leave a tip. She told us that their system was down, so I gave her a cash tip.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but reading this post, I am wondering if I was hacked. I already had asked for a freeze due to the Equifax breach.

I really hate this!
Whole Foods is one of the increasing number of stores that do not require a signature unless your total is more than $50.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 10, 2017 04:39PM
......will wait for Half Foods instead.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 252
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015