advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
VPN ?'s
Posted by: clyde
Date: October 10, 2017 11:30AM
Many VPN's offer some email and internet "security," but with the CIA itself being hacked, and with some of its own military-grade hackers going free-lance, it seems that any actual internet/email privacy might be a figment of the imagination.

With email, for example, if the sender uses a VPN and the recipient does not, is communication between them exposed to all?

I'd like to understand hows to achieve whatever privacy is available—whether with VPN, other technology, or magic.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: VPN ?'s
Posted by: davemchine
Date: October 10, 2017 01:36PM
I have no experience with secure email but from what I've heard on podcasts it would require the sender and the receiver to exchange encryption keys. Then it would not matter where or how the email was transmitted.
Date: October 10, 2017 03:17PM
If sender & receiver need each other's encryption keys to exchange email privately, which makes sense, then it would seem to this newbie that VPN's would be useful only if both parties in an email exchange would have to have security keys and to exchange them.

Is that right?
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 10, 2017 03:21PM
What are you trying to hide? secret smiley

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: max
Date: October 10, 2017 04:58PM
jdc
What are you trying to hide? secret smiley

What have you got to hide?....
Date: October 10, 2017 07:27PM
Ain't hiding anything.

Are y'all comfortable having every trivial remark, every question, every minute detail of your internet traffic publicized??
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 10, 2017 07:53PM
I don't think that a VPN will secure email between people that aren't on the same email server. Encryption will though.

My understanding is that a VPN will allow you to:
- surf the web anonymously
- connect to your server (personal or business) securely
- use public wifi more securely
- download anonymously
- bypass geofencing restrictions (ie: view netflix while traveling outside the US)

Note that the VPN provider can tell what you're doing, so you're shifting your trust. The other issue is that using VPN can slow down your data rate as there is a processor hit for encrypting/decrypting data.

You can set up your own VPN server at home so that you can remotely connect to it securely.

Some of this may not be quite accurate as it's my understanding and I'm not a VPN expert. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn within the last year.
Date: October 10, 2017 08:03PM
Thanks for the insight, macphanatic. Long as you stayed at Holiday Inn within the twelvemonth, your word is gospel.

Do you mean that simply encrypting email will offer some security provided communications are with others who are also encrypted?

I'd guess that few people have encryption…
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 10, 2017 08:40PM
clyde
Thanks for the insight, macphanatic. Long as you stayed at Holiday Inn within the twelvemonth, your word is gospel.

Do you mean that simply encrypting email will offer some security provided communications are with others who are also encrypted?

More than you think, but it is mostly Healthcare, Government, and some Education.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 10, 2017 08:55PM
clyde

My understanding is if both parties have the encryption key, it's pretty secure. Not sure how you securely share the key thought as emailing a key could get intercepted.
Date: October 10, 2017 09:40PM
I am not sure I agree that a VPN provides anonymous web browsing. Google is going to know who you are thru cookies on your computer. I think to anonymize your browsing you would want to install a virtual machine, have it permanently connected to a vpn, and never log into any pre-existing accounts.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 11, 2017 03:34AM
clyde
Ain't hiding anything.

Are y'all comfortable having every trivial remark, every question, every minute detail of your internet traffic publicized??

If it *actually* were, people would get really bored after about 1 minute of readin' it and just give up.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: October 11, 2017 07:11AM
You jest but I have read that upping your privacy game is actually a good way to invite additional scrutiny.
Date: October 11, 2017 08:29AM
davemchine
You jest but I have read that upping your privacy game is actually a good way to invite additional scrutiny.

Dave may be right, and so may jdc.

But what if you have an idea that's not innocuous, not boring, or—perish the thought—even imaginative? You want to broadcast your concept to the universe?

The fat cats live in gated estates and you can bet your bottom peso they are as encrypted as they can possibly arrange.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 11, 2017 09:55AM
PGP and other public key cryptography systems have two sets of keys, one public, and one private, so that sender and receiver do not have to exchange keys.

[gpgtools.org]

PGP even had a product called PGPfone, which allowed you to make secure phone calls, but it was too far ahead of its time, since it was developed before most people had broadband access.
Date: October 14, 2017 11:09AM
macphanatic's remark:

"Date: October 10, 2017 07:53PM
I don't think that a VPN will secure email between people that aren't on the same email server. Encryption will though."

seems to imply that VPN somehow "secures" email without encryption IF, and only if, they use the same server. Is that so?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2017 12:52PM by clyde.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018