advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Day 2 of an "Extended Internet Outage" due to the NorCal Fires.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 10, 2017 11:47AM
AT&T fiber cut. Stop. All schools without internet. Stop. All VOIP down. Stop. All net based information services down. Stop. Student and staff withdrawl symptoms beginning. Stop. Still in better shape than puerto rico or people in fire zone. Stop.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Day 2 of an "Extended Internet Outage" due to the NorCal Fires.
Date: October 10, 2017 11:54AM
Btw, the fun part? Verizon is working fine, because they lease space on not only the north-south fiber optic line, but the east-west line for redundancy.
AT&T? They have refused to lease bandwidth on the east-west line... too expensive.
I can practically HEAR people all over the county dumping AT&T over this.
The hospital next door, the county 911 service, the city of Arcata.. all without phone service yesterday and part if today.
The County Office oF education is currently discussing dumping AT&T over this... they're using their "down time" to "assess other options".

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 10, 2017 12:40PM
Ugh. Most folks with critical internet use dual-redundant designs. My corporation uses a dual redundant ring of T3 lines with separate fiber trunks. And dual redundant power feeds from separate sub grids (which doesn't help when the main area grid goes down, which happens a couple of times a year).

The Fed Reserve branch has THREE redundant feeds for data. And three redundant power sources... two separate sub grid feeds, a generator array, and a battery backup array. It was a heck of an installation. Oh yeah... and a three story vault that is entirely robotic, moving pallets of cash (!) in three dimensions with no humans allowed. And the whole vault 'floats' independently on the water table from Lake Erie.
Posted by: 3d
Date: October 10, 2017 12:58PM
Time to dust off the encyclopedias! As a teen years ago (1980s) our local library had one set of encyclopedias in the reference area. When someone took a volume to their table to read no one else in the library could research topics with that letter until it was returned! LOL. Stop.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 10, 2017 01:03PM
3d
Time to dust off the encyclopedias! As a teen years ago (1980s) our local library had one set of encyclopedias in the reference area. When someone took a volume to their table to read no one else in the library could research topics with that letter until it was returned! LOL. Stop.

Internet/network access is now a critical infrastructure element. I would reasonably expect that 90% of businesses CANNOT take operate without it. Our laws and rules all date back to the days of dialup, and they are badly out of touch. Any business that does not have a backup plan that includes internet is in bad shape.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: October 10, 2017 04:07PM
I hear tin cans and string are effective backups.

Posted by: testcase
Date: October 10, 2017 04:41PM
I'm currently on my THIRD iPhone6s+ with ATT. CRAPPY service. My two year contract with ATT ends next month. It's been four years sinceI got farked over by Verizon. I may give them a try. sad smiley
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 10, 2017 06:16PM
Back in the day my company had redundant lines from Sprint and Qwest (aka CenturyLink). Both lines went down at the same time. I learned that Sprint provided the actual physical line over the Cascade mountains and Qwest was paying to piggy back off of it. My best efforts at redundancy were thwarted. The Qwest rep wanted to know why I was canceling the line. When I explained the whole point of having a second failover line that failed at precisely the time I needed it, he backed down and sheepishly said "Nevermind, I understand".

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: August West
Date: October 10, 2017 07:20PM
cbelt3

Internet/network access is now a critical infrastructure element. I would reasonably expect that 90% of businesses CANNOT take operate without it. Our laws and rules all date back to the days of dialup, and they are badly out of touch. Any business that does not have a backup plan that includes internet is in bad shape.

We flirt with science, depending. Great post, though.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: bfd
Date: October 10, 2017 08:56PM
Ah - they'll have more time for Frisbee Golf and whatever else goes on up in those forests.

Suspect the internet withdrawal at the schools is real, however. So much of their curriculum is now web based, it's probably difficult to fill the time with print materials when they're offline.
Date: October 10, 2017 10:52PM
bfd
Ah - they'll have more time for Frisbee Golf and whatever else goes on up in those forests.

Suspect the internet withdrawal at the schools is real, however. So much of their curriculum is now web based, it's probably difficult to fill the time with print materials when they're offline.

They can't even PRINT some of the material... it's all web based!
And yeah, some teachers are having a VERY hard time of it... having a lot of their materials in Google Docs, for example. One teacher was trying to teach from her notes accessed on her phone.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 116
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015