advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hybrid-y car for $10k or less
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 10, 2017 06:28PM
Would prefer hatch like.the.Prius V, or just something with a decent trunk, perhaps the Fusion. I think the Volt won't make the cut.

High miles don't bother me as long as the battery life isn't severely compromised.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hybrid-y car for $10k or less
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 10, 2017 06:37PM
Plenty of Volts in the 8k to 10k range.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 10, 2017 06:41PM
Need more info. What kind of junk is in your trunk?
Why is it that the Volt won't make the cut? The Prius has been around forever so there's probably a bunch in your price range but not the plug-in models, so it's about the same size as the Volt but it's less efficient. 2011 Volts are right around your price range with some below and some over. 2012 Prius is looking like the age of Prius you'd be looking for. The Ford C-Max energi is also another good candidate.

Some options to investigate:
Volt
Prius
Ford C-Max energi
Nissan Leaf (I'd avoid this)
Fiat 500e (I'd avoid this)

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 10, 2017 07:22PM
what do you haul around? you’d be surprised how much fits in s volt.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 10, 2017 07:24PM
Does it have to be a hybrid? This is for mostly city driving?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 10, 2017 07:28PM
jdc
Does it have to be a hybrid? This is for mostly city driving?

He may want something with battery-only operation for 40 or 50 miles (or less) and then it can switch over to gasoline.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: October 10, 2017 07:56PM
Speedy
He may want something with battery-only operation for 40 or 50 miles (or less) and then it can switch over to gasoline.

Im not sure we can draw any conclusions just yet.

----

Posted by: decay
Date: October 10, 2017 08:18PM
I was looking around at used Volts, none under 10K here... unless those have super-high miles.

---
Date: October 10, 2017 08:31PM
Search Cars.com. Yes, you may have to drive a ways to find the vehicle that suits you. These are not Ford pickups, there simply aren't that many to choose from.

Date: October 10, 2017 08:32PM
Volt is just too tight, prius v back seat is larger, and the energi may make the grade for size, too. I'd prefer a hatch, but the trunk if the Fusion could be all that I need to store some.luggage.
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 10, 2017 08:54PM
I have a 2012 Prius C (the smallest Prius made). I have been AMAZED at how much "stuff" I can get into that little car.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 10, 2017 09:12PM
And I'll just throw out a completely different idea...the NON-HYBRID and much simpler Mitsubishi Mirage.

We picked ours up with 28K for $7K a year ago and have added 15K since then completely trouble and worry free.

We routinely average 48.5 MPG with the CVT, with a worst fill of 43 MPG of all 80mph freeways and best fills of 52 MPG for no freeway town and country driving. It does this with a 3 cylinder 1.2 liter engine.

Although the car is in the "small" class, it seats four adults just fine with plenty of room. With just myself, I can carry skis in the car or tools and garden materials or a whole Costco trip of groceries.

Looking at the Mirage forums, there are people that have topped 200K in these cars with just routine maintenance. I would definitely buy one again before considering a hybrid or an electric. Just know that it's really an appliance that does a job, not something that is going to give you a thrill, unless you enjoy driving all week and then paying 9 dollars at the pump to refill.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2017 09:14PM by Markintosh.
Date: October 10, 2017 11:10PM
Markintosh
Just know that it's really an appliance that does a job, not something that is going to give you a thrill, unless you enjoy driving all week and then paying 9 dollars at the pump to refill.

or one can be thrilled driving a volt and then spend about $9 every four MONTHS or so for the very little gas you'll need. devil smiley

but yeah, if you have need for roomy back seats a gen 1 volt is not for you.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 10, 2017 11:23PM
graylocks

or one can be thrilled driving a volt and then spend about $9 every four MONTHS or so for the very little gas you'll need. devil smiley

Except that you'll also spend about $30-40 a month on electricity, spend a few thousand more to buy a very well used Volt and another $500 to get set up for home charging. devil smiley spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

But the reality is...anybody that is willing to go as small and simple when it comes to transportation is winning when it is compared to those clowns that are still driving huge SUVs and monster trucks to pick up the kids at school and go to yoga.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: October 10, 2017 11:30PM
Markintosh
graylocks

Except that you'll also spend about $30-40 a month on electricity, spend a few thousand more to buy a very well used Volt and another $500 to get set up for home charging. devil smiley spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Although after getting setup, except for tire rotation, you have zero maintenance for 50,000 miles. I'm at 48,000 miles and, with that exception, my next scheduled maintenance is at 97,500 miles. devil smiley

Date: October 10, 2017 11:54PM
This turned into a devilish thread. or maybe it's just getting closer to Halloween.
Date: October 11, 2017 12:04AM
graylocks

But that totally depends on your driving habits. Lets say I have a 45 mile commute, one way, and no way to recharge at work... wont work the same as running a bunch of short trips around town

mrbigstuff
This turned into a devilish thread. or maybe it's just getting closer to Halloween.

Not really, the question just seemed vague, or maybe we are curious as to how you decieded on those cars...

----

Date: October 11, 2017 12:35AM
Markintosh
graylocks

Except that you'll also spend about $30-40 a month on electricity, spend a few thousand more to buy a very well used Volt and another $500 to get set up for home charging. :devil.

$12 a month for my volt electricity usage. $0 cost involved to set up charging at home. it’s like plugging in a toaster except it’s outside. i did pay $13k for it last november but i was looking for under 50k miles.

Date: October 11, 2017 02:46AM
jdc
But that totally depends on your driving habits. Lets say I have a 45 mile commute, one way, and no way to recharge at work... wont work the same as running a bunch of short trips around town.

You are correct, you will drive to work on the battery and home on the ICE which on the Volt means about a gallon+ of gas/day (9.x gallon fuel tank on the Volt; burns 91 octane). Better to buy a Leaf but the older ones only go 84 miles maximum on a charge so you are left still looking at a Volt if you want a battery vehicle for around $12k.

A battery electric vehicle is a lifestyle change and choice. You have to make compromises. We are going to take a 7500 mile trip this winter in our Volt. It will be 99% on gasoline. We could take our 37 MPG, 600 miles per tank, Passat Diesel but prefer the Volt and will live with its 300 mile gas only range.

Date: October 11, 2017 03:28AM
Which comes back to the point that we have no clue how he plans on using it.

----

Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: October 11, 2017 08:05AM
Markintosh
And I'll just throw out a completely different idea...the NON-HYBRID and much simpler Mitsubishi Mirage.

We picked ours up with 28K for $7K a year ago and have added 15K since then completely trouble and worry free.

We routinely average 48.5 MPG with the CVT, with a worst fill of 43 MPG of all 80mph freeways and best fills of 52 MPG for no freeway town and country driving. It does this with a 3 cylinder 1.2 liter engine.

Although the car is in the "small" class, it seats four adults just fine with plenty of room. With just myself, I can carry skis in the car or tools and garden materials or a whole Costco trip of groceries.

Looking at the Mirage forums, there are people that have topped 200K in these cars with just routine maintenance. I would definitely buy one again before considering a hybrid or an electric. Just know that it's really an appliance that does a job, not something that is going to give you a thrill, unless you enjoy driving all week and then paying 9 dollars at the pump to refill.

Looked long and hard at one of these and almost bought a new one, but the salesman wanted to play bait and switch on colors. So I walked across the street and bought a new Chevy Spark instead. About the same size, advertised to get about the same MPG, etc, etc. Real world experience with MPG -- on long road trips I can get 46+ on non-ethonal gas running 70+ MPH, that drops to about 38+ with ethanol laced gas. Pretty peppy little car with lots of room, very quiet riding and comfortable too.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 11, 2017 08:35AM
How IS the Volt in terms of useful life ? All the ones around me at 10K are over 80K miles.
Date: October 11, 2017 08:45AM
cbelt3
How IS the Volt in terms of useful life ? All the ones around me at 10K are over 80K miles.

many out there happily chugging along with well over 100,000 miles. most famous is Sparkie with 400,000 and counting with no battery degradation.

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 11, 2017 09:55AM
FYI, in that price range, there's really nothing that touches the cargo capacity of the Prius V, AFAIK.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 11, 2017 10:23AM
cbelt3

Its a car without a transmission. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if i was in the market.

Posted by: Mr645
Date: October 11, 2017 10:28AM
Why a hybrid? Something like the Mazda 3 gets almost as good MPG as most hybrids
Date: October 11, 2017 10:40AM
You don't need to do anything to set to charge at home. A Volt will charge just fine on 120v AC overnight. If you had a Bolt or a Model S that doesn't work so well though.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 11, 2017 11:10AM
Mr645
Why a hybrid? Something like the Mazda 3 gets almost as good MPG as most hybrids

FWIW... anyone who drives short distances and in a lot of stop and start traffic will do awesomely with a plug in hybrid. Uber/Lyft drivers, short range delivery drivers, etc... It has to do with regenerative braking. Pretty much all the energy you consume is for some of the static, rolling and air resistance. Acceleration to speed ? Nope, it gets recovered.
Posted by: decay
Date: October 11, 2017 11:12AM
Not in your price range (or mine yet), but my brother-in-law has an Ioniq and loves it.

[cars.usnews.com]

---
Date: October 11, 2017 12:11PM
Teslas have an 8 year battery, infinite mile drivetrain, warranty. They can do this because the number of moving parts is almost negligible.

Chevy Volts are similarly equipped with a robust warranty. Originally the Volt offered the following:
100,000 mile/5-year transferable Engine Limited Warranty (for Range Extender)
100,000 mile/5-year 24/7 Roadside Assistance Program
100,000 mile/5-year 24/7 Courtesy Transportation Program
36,000 mile/ 3-year no deductible Bumper-to-Bumper transferable warranty
100,000 mile/6-year corrosion protection

I don't know what the warranty on the Prius is, but I'd expect it's similar.

There's a reason that all the cab, Uber, and Lyft drivers are choosing the hybrid/EVs. The mileage is good and the reliability is good.

There are some strange quirks to owning a hybrid/EV though to consider. Your brakes will last a LONG time because you rarely use them. Regen braking does most of the heavy work. I've read that some people have had to have discs replaced because they rusted so badly from lack of use. On normal cars they're in constant use and have a near mirror finish from braking friction. You'll have to stop at a gas station periodically...to wash the windows. You'll get accustomed to the silence of driving an EV in about 2 miles.

Posted by: sekker
Date: October 11, 2017 10:28PM
Great info in this thread!

My 2005 Honda Hybrid is still going strong. When it dies, I'll be getting a plug-in hybrid or EV.
Date: October 12, 2017 06:28AM
sekker
Great info in this thread!

My 2005 Honda Hybrid is still going strong. When it dies, I'll be getting a plug-in hybrid or EV.

In ten years, we all will. Big Oil won't like it but driving patterns (short trips, overnight off-peak charging) dictate huge savings and huge demand. The resulting competition to Tesla will probably mean it will merge with another automaker.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 12, 2017 07:54AM
.....wish Tesla would ramp up availability and have prices go down a bit.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 14, 2017 10:16PM
They are working on it. Elon's plan is a 10x production rate within a year. He knows they are behind on promises.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 133
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015