advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $159.88 ( +2.89 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
eBay: Auction style listing with Best Offer?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 10, 2017 11:07PM
What sort of sorcery is this? Or is it a new feature? Or a bug. I can't find any info on it, though.

I ran across an auction (as in a starting bid and then you bid it up), but it has a "Best Offer" feature (which is supposed to be for "Buy It Now" listings, at least that's what the help pages still say [pages.ebay.com] ). In a weird way, I guess it makes sense. You could offer more than the opening bid in the hopes the seller will end the auction right away. I was able to successfully submit an offer (I only sent it at the opening bid price to see if it would go through).

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: eBay: Auction style listing with Best Offer?
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: October 11, 2017 07:04AM
Many years ago eBay offered that. The Make Offer button disappears once someone has placed an ordinary bid.

Paul

Posted by: PeterW
Date: October 11, 2017 07:25AM
The Make Offer button can also appear on a Buy It Now auction in case you feel the BIN price is too high.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: October 11, 2017 09:50AM
I made an offer recently. Apparently the seller does not have to acknowledge the offer. Mine was ignored and the offer "expired" after 2 days.

Oh well.
Posted by: clay
Date: October 11, 2017 10:02AM
Spiff
I made an offer recently. Apparently the seller does not have to acknowledge the offer. Mine was ignored and the offer "expired" after 2 days.

Oh well.

yeah, I get that too. Kind of annoying that sellers offer the option but don't respond to offers.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 11, 2017 10:06AM
clay
Spiff

Oh well.

yeah, I get that too. Kind of annoying that sellers offer the option but don't respond to offers.

I only do that for lowball offers that are completely outside the norm. Like asking for a 50% discount on an item that regularly sells for near full price. The benefit to ignoring it is that they can’t submit another offer in that time period.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 11, 2017 01:46PM
Black tipped me off on how to narrow down the Google results to find relevant pages on this issue. This one explains it pretty well: [www.ecommercebytes.com]

Basically, it's a new "feature" that eBay automatically adds to auctions when eBay determines the starting price is too HIGH. It can't be turned off or manually added to an auction. eBay customer service reps didn't even know about this feature. So the purpose is the opposite of what I thought, it's to allow the buyer to make "realistic" offers below the starting price, as opposed to making higher offers to end the auction early (sort of a make your own Buy It Now price).

But of course, this is a silly and stupid feature to have appear automatically. In the case of the auction I found, the seller counter offered me at $490, and I figure the auction will end around $450ish. So in this case, eBay's system of "automatically" determining that the starting price is too high is flawed.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: October 11, 2017 04:57PM
I have made offers on items. Some accepted, some countered, and none ignored.
I told a guy in Northern VA that I would buy local and pay the tax if they would match this other person's price. That worked with that seller.

Some people think that their stuff is worth a premium and will not budge.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 11, 2017 09:53PM
I find eBay infuriating these days, as there's really no one serious about buying it would seem; most assume they're going to get something for half of the going rate.
Posted by: decay
Date: October 11, 2017 09:55PM
Maybe the asking prices are too high if people are offering half?

Some people probably need a break sometimes.

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 213
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015