Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $159.88 ( +2.89 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Changing Time Machine partition
Posted by: Don C
Date: October 10, 2017 11:14PM
Time Machine has been backing my iMac internal drive up to a 500GB partition. I am changing the boot drive to an external SDD and the TM partition is not large enough to store the old files and the new files.

So I moved the TM folder to another external drive (which has CrashPlan working overtime), deleted the old TM files, and hoped to start over a new TM backup. Well, TM needs more than 500GB to backup the SSD.

TM is a partition on a 2TB drive, 500GB for TM and the rest for other storage. When I look at the drives on Disk Utility, the 1.5TB partition is on top, the .5TB partition is on the bottom so I cannot just drag the partition divider to make TM larger and the cleverly named "OWC HD 1" smaller.

Is there a way to repartition the 2TB drive to make TM larger without losing everything on what is now the 1.5TB partition?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Changing Time Machine partition
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 10, 2017 11:26PM
You should be able to do non destructive partitioning, yes.

FWIW, TM doesnt need its own partition, and it could care less if there are other things on the drive.

How big is the SSD? Are you saying theres more than 500 GB of data on it?

As tight as things sound, it really seems like you could use another drive specifically taksed with TM use. Backing up both your internal SSD AND your 2 TB drive with files....

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: October 11, 2017 12:02AM
My impression is that TM keeps using available space until all is used. I wanted to keep other files on the 2TB drive so I partitioned it to keep TM at bay.

I have three drives right now.
- The internal drive of the iMac, 1TB WDC rotational
- An external 1TB SSD with two partitions, one with Yosemite (this is the boot drive) and a small partition for Snow Leopard which I occasionally use for legacy software)
- An external 2TB "On the Go" portable from our sponsor which has the TM partition (0.5TB) and the larger "available for files" partition (1.5TB)
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: October 11, 2017 07:10AM
Are you using Time Machine on an internal drive to back up that seem in ternal drive? If so, what happens if that drive fails? You’re not getting redundancy at all.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 11, 2017 08:07AM
.....just remember that changing time is like magic.....there are always consequences.......butterfly effect.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: October 11, 2017 10:21AM
TM is on an external drive and I am trying to back up a different external drive.
Date: October 11, 2017 10:38AM
Is your 1.5 TB partition full? Could the data be moved to the internal 1 TB and still have room to grow?

The 1 TB SSD must be totally empty if its just 2 OSes?

If the data on the 1.5TB partition cant fit on the internal 1 TB, and if you want to backup everything with TM, Im not seeing a way of doing it without adding a 3rd drive...

----

Date: October 11, 2017 10:24PM
I'll see if I can put the internal 1T drive to better use. A third external is definitely under consideration. THEN comes the discipline to us those drives efficiently!
Date: October 12, 2017 12:17PM
Well, for a long time I had a similar setup, except my SSD was internal on my iMac. My 2010 27" iMac is pretty easy to get into, so I mounted inside.

Regardless, I had OS on SSD and used internal 1 TB as "storage" -- then both backed up to an external 3 TB drive. TM backed up both internal drives to TM.

TM can do the same in your case, even backup both externals and the internal to 1 large drive.

But if you have enough room to move your storage to the internal, Id do that, then make the old 2 TB the TM drive for both internals.

Without knowing how much is on the drives, kind hard to make any more recommendations.

----

Date: October 15, 2017 08:59PM
I might be able to rearrange files among the various drives but what I have chosen to do is purchase one more drive, a 1TB WD My Passport and will use that for Time Machine and will re-purpose the old partition.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 205
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015