advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
recommendations for carry on luggage
Posted by: robfilms
Date: October 11, 2017 12:16PM
my wife and i and two young adult daughters are going on an african photo style safari in late december.

we have a connecting flight in europe that will take use to tanzania.

after we land, we are picked up by a guide and we head into the bush for eight days.

i want to pack light and carry on our gear.

i do not want to chance a mishap with lost baggage between connecting flights because the bag will never catch up to us during our safari.

i am looking at 35-40 litre duffles and/or back packs.

the measurement limits are 22"x14"x9" on delta and 21.5"x13.5"x10" on klm.

i am not interested in rollies.

any and all thoughts are appreciated.

be well.

rob
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: recommendations for carry on luggage
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 11, 2017 12:46PM
I can tell you what NOT to get. I purchased an 'Aviator' bag from Timbuk2 for what I thought was a reasonable price. It had a robust warranty and Timbuk2 has a good reputation. I was completely fooled. It about disintegrated in a single use, it isn't acceptable as a carry on as they advertised it (too big) and when I called about the warranty they told me the damage wasn't covered because I checked the bag and it isn't designed to withstand that abuse. I told them that it wasn't permitted to be used as a carry-on so it was required to be checked. For a bag named 'Aviator' you'd think that it would be designed with that use in mind. They told me to pound pavement and quit bothering them. They won't get any more of my business and I'll make darned sure that no one else gets suckered either if I can help it.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 11, 2017 12:49PM
Will you be walking in the bush with your luggage any distance ?
I like backpacks for carry on, but I like a waist strap and/or sternum strap for stability because narrow shoulders. Basically find something that has the capacity you need and is squishable to fit carry on restrictions. And pack SUUUPER light. Like "I've got a camera and a credit card".

Have a WONDERFUL trip! and share photos !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2017 12:51PM by cbelt3.
Posted by: billb
Date: October 11, 2017 12:50PM
For no wheels I have a Ebags motherload weekender that really is well thought out with many conveniences. I have "backpacked" it but I wouldn't want to go hiking long distance with it heavy, at least not without modifying the straps a bit.

For just two wheels I have a Timberland <somethingorother> (pretty sure it is Danvers River) that is standing up well. It has fairly big pair of wheeels which comes in handy on cobblestones and stairs.

For ebags it's best to sign up for their relentless emailing and wait for 30% off

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: October 11, 2017 01:25PM
thanks all for the quick thoughts.

no "real" backpacking.

we will be traveling via jeep from location to location (5 different locales in 8 days), so my goal is to haul this carry-on piece to/from and use carry-on on the airlines.

the additional goal is for EVERYONE to pack light enough for EVERYONE to haul their own gear but i know that is a pipe dream as i am viewed as the pack burro in these situations. he haw winking smiley

(frankly, i'm thrilled my daughters are willing to leave their lives and travel with their parents for two weeks!)

be well.

rob
Posted by: Pam
Date: October 11, 2017 01:25PM
Love my Marmot long hauler duffle bags that can also be worn like a backpack. The small would work on KLM (20 x 11.5 x 12in). Might work on delta depending on how you pack it. My daughter borrowed my small one and was able to carry it as the personal item and also bought a wheelie for the overhead compartments. Fit under the seat easily.
Posted by: davester
Date: October 11, 2017 01:29PM
We have these (eBags TLS weekender convertible): [www.ebags.com]

They are fantastic, and they don't cost that much either. We also use lightweight packing cubes with them to be even more efficient. We did a 3.5 week trip through Turkey, Catalonia and southern France with them without any difficulty. Even the backpack straps are pretty nice, which is rare for this kind of carryon. Another nice thing is that since this is the convertible version (meaning it can expand to larger than carryon size if necessary, we can pile all the extra purchases, gifts etc into one of these and check it in for the flight home.

Oh yeah, one more thing relevant to Macresource forums...it has a nice laptop sleeve behind the backpack straps that doesn't really take up any space if you're not taking your laptop.

I totally agree with not wanting a wheeled carryon, since the wheels, frame and handle take up so much extra luggage space and add significant weight. In airports we usually just grab a smarte cart. In most out of the way places wheels are pretty useless on cobblestones and dirt roads. We do sometimes carry an ultra lightweight Samsonite luggage cart so my wife doesn't have to schlep a heavy backpack through long airport terminals. She just folds it and puts it in her "extra" bag.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2017 01:44PM by davester.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 11, 2017 01:31PM
Wirecutter is a good place to start:

[thewirecutter.com]

[thewirecutter.com]
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 11, 2017 01:46PM
Rob,

Not sure if any of the sites mentioned that carry-on size standards for domestic flights and standards for international flights differ. So, make sure the numbers you listed are suitable for international travel. The last time I checked, carry-on bags for international travel are noticeably smaller. The airlines may also have different standards of their own for domestic and international.

Robert
Posted by: davemchine
Date: October 11, 2017 02:24PM
I bought the Victorinox Lexicon 2.0 22" Expandable Carry-On Rolling Suitcase for the entire family. Durable and has an excellent warranty which I have tested. They are expensive but are available at deeply discounted prices a few times a year. [www.macys.com]

They also make backpack style bags which I used when I was younger. Much easier to get thru an airport quickly with one of these. [www.macys.com]
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: October 11, 2017 02:49PM
davester
We have these (eBags TLS weekender convertible): [www.ebags.com]

They are fantastic, and they don't cost that much either. We also use lightweight packing cubes with them to be even more efficient. We did a 3.5 week trip through Turkey, Catalonia and southern France with them without any difficulty. Even the backpack straps are pretty nice, which is rare for this kind of carryon. Another nice thing is that since this is the convertible version (meaning it can expand to larger than carryon size if necessary, we can pile all the extra purchases, gifts etc into one of these and check it in for the flight home.

Oh yeah, one more thing relevant to Macresource forums...it has a nice laptop sleeve behind the backpack straps that doesn't really take up any space if you're not taking your laptop.

I totally agree with not wanting a wheeled carryon, since the wheels, frame and handle take up so much extra luggage space and add significant weight. In airports we usually just grab a smarte cart. In most out of the way places wheels are pretty useless on cobblestones and dirt roads. We do sometimes carry an ultra lightweight Samsonite luggage cart so my wife doesn't have to schlep a heavy backpack through long airport terminals. She just folds it and puts it in her "extra" bag.

I second this!!! Bought one to carry on my ski boots to Telluride. Fantastic, lots of pockets etc and the fact it has backpack straps, in addition to a handle, is what sold me on it.
Posted by: Michael
Date: October 11, 2017 02:51PM
We bought 2 of these for $90 each on a Amazon daily sale in 2016: [www.amazon.com]

They are great and had the benefit of being able to put the small on on the big one to roll along. This last summer we decided to get a couple of backpacks to replace the smaller piece so we'd have multiple pockets. We bought a couple of odd colored ones from High Sierra on sale (really cheap because of the odd colors) that maxed out the under-seat size limits and that's the sweet spot for us. The big piece meets the size standard for overhead and the small one for under the seat. The wheels don't take up much interior room so we maximized the carrying size of the big ones. We lived out of them for 11 days in Europe this summer without a problem.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 11, 2017 03:37PM
I have an earlier version of that backpack Davester and Lizabeth are suggesting. It is great, I did two weeks in Germany with that only.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 11, 2017 04:58PM
The problem with wheeled bags is that you loose a lot of capacity. A duffle or backpack that fits within the carry-on limitations will hold far more stuff.

I've had good luck with my Timbuk2 stuff, but I've never had to check it. But I can fit it in just about every overhead compartment, including the small commuter jets that won't take a roll aboard.

I have an old Eddie Bauer bag that has held up well, but not sure that they still make it or that the quality is still as good.

If you go the duffle route, try to find one that has a thin nylon interior that isn't black. It makes finding stuff so much easier when you're living out of the bag.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 11, 2017 05:52PM
I just use REI Medium duffle bags for traveling. I traveled on Frontier with them last time and I was able to bring two of them in my carry on as they fit under the seat. Granted they weren't stuffed full and since they are duffle bags they compress and fit through the guides even though they wouldn't if the bag was full.

It was tighter on the way back as we had stopped and bought stuff at outlets, but I was still able to compress the bags and get them to slide through. YMMV as some airlines might complain or not give you a second change to make it fit, I just strategically wrapped the shuolder strap around to compress the clothing to make it fit.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: bfd
Date: October 11, 2017 06:48PM
Backpack. Can't beat them for portability and ease of packing. And since you're wearing or carrying them, they don't tend to walk off when you inevitably turn your back for a second. And keep in mind that on a safari, everything smells funny. Particularly the animals. You won't need copious clothing changes, but take an extra pair of shoes and socks in case water happens to find you. It's nice to have dry shoes back at camp, even if the rest of you is soaked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2017 06:49PM by bfd.
Posted by: 3d
Date: October 11, 2017 07:31PM
I like waterproof drybags as carry-on.

Since all of my carry-on is valuable stuff, electronics, papers, and one change of clothes. It's important for me to keep it dry at all costs. I have the old style Northface Base Camp duffle that's waterproof. I think it's a PVC type material with a heavy duty bottom. Not a fan of the new redesigned Base Camp duffle, so i can't recommend that to you.

Check this one out:

Watershed Chattooga Duffel Bag (Completely airtight and waterproof) $89
[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: TheToddler
Date: October 11, 2017 10:15PM
redoxx.com

Not inexpensive, but last bag you’ll ever buy.

Air Boss is where to start.
Posted by: IronMac
Date: October 12, 2017 03:23AM
I have redoxx and the backpack is NOT light.
Date: October 12, 2017 07:16AM
i'm surprised no one has mentioned any osprey products.

osprey bags get great reviews and are somewhat less expensive than some of the above suggestions.

this is amazon's version of the ebags weekender and is currently the nicest i have actually touched/packed:

[www.amazon.com]

be well.

rob
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 12, 2017 07:58AM
....we all already come with so much baggage [ excess baggage ].....to deal with.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: October 12, 2017 08:06AM
robfilms

osprey bags get great reviews and are somewhat less expensive than some of the above suggestions.

this is amazon's version of the ebags weekender and is currently the nicest i have actually touched/packed:

[www.amazon.com]

be well.

rob

I have an Osprey backpack (Aura 50) for search and rescue and absolutely love it. For travel I was looking for a duffle configuration that could also be carried like a backpack. My reason, easier and better packing for travel. More clothing vs some clothing plus gear. Marmot features beat out Osprey in this category for me.
Date: October 12, 2017 08:49AM
Pam
robfilms

[www.amazon.com]

be well.

rob

pam-

which marmot bag did you choose?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob

I have an Osprey backpack (Aura 50) for search and rescue and absolutely love it. For travel I was looking for a duffle configuration that could also be carried like a backpack. My reason, easier and better packing for travel. More clothing vs some clothing plus gear. Marmot features beat out Osprey in this category for me.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 12, 2017 11:11AM
Rob,

Don't forget to check the weight limits for carry-on bags. Each carrier has different limits. Not necessarily a factor when purchasing the bag but something to consider when packing the bag.

Personally, I like bags with two-wheels. I've traveled domestically and abroad with bags that had no wheels, backpacks, duffels, satchels, you name it. I'll use a backpack or a satchel as a personal bag but for a carry-on? Two wheels all the way. Although I travel light and tend not to check-in luggage, I still want to have to carry fewer items on my back and arms.

Think in terms of this:

Backpack for computer, ipad, chargers, snacks, trip paperwork (trip info, passport, medical docs, etc), basic medicine.

Carry-on has everything else for the trip. If I don't want to actually carry the backpack, I strap it to the carry-on and wheel it.

That's how I travel whenever possible.

Robert
Date: October 12, 2017 11:19AM
robfilms
Pam
robfilms

[www.amazon.com]

be well.

rob

pam-

which marmot bag did you choose?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob

I have the Marmot long hauler in small and medium. The small was used by my daughter on a flight where it qualified as a personal item and fit under the seat. That let her also bring a wheelie for the overhead compartment.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 132
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015