Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $159.88 ( +2.89 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone used Tire Slime?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 11, 2017 08:11PM
I've got a beater car that gets driven about 10 miles a day on surface streets. All 4 of the tires lose about 15 psi every couple days, but never seem to go below 18 to 20psi. The car isn't worth the $80 to have the tires removed and the beads cleaned up. Has anyone tried the tire slime stuff? I don't care what it does to the rim or tire as this car isn't long for this world and will never get new tires, but I'd like to not have to put air in the tires every couple days. Anyone use this stuff and have it work on a slow leak? All the videos show it being used for punctures with a quick air escape, my leak isn't slow so I wonder if it would work or not.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone used Tire Slime?
Posted by: rob banzai
Date: October 11, 2017 08:14PM
I can't imagine this lasting for more than a few miles. I used to use it for my bicycle and it was enough to get you home as long as the hole wasn't too bad, or in a sidewall.

I'll see you again... when we are both like golden clouds on the wind.
Posted by: vitus
Date: October 11, 2017 08:30PM
The stuff is only going to work if it can get to the leak location by gravity. I don't think you can get it to the beads in sufficient quantity to be useful.
Posted by: gabester
Date: October 11, 2017 08:40PM
I have the same problem; hadn't heard of tire slime, too bad it doesn't sound like it will fix the problem.

What about that emergency tire air filler that purported can fill a puncture?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 11, 2017 08:50PM
do a soap test to locate the leak first, and then focus on fixing it at the source. I'd just do some rubber cement or similar. With no air in the tire, btw.
Date: October 11, 2017 08:52PM
mrbigstuff
do a soap test to locate the leak first, and then focus on fixing it at the source. I'd just do some rubber cement or similar. With no air in the tire, btw.

It is all 4 tires and the wheels are very corroded with paint peeling off. I'm certain it is the beads. It doesn't leak fast enough to test with soap.

C(-)ris
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 11, 2017 09:03PM
sounds like tubeless sealant for bicycles.

Squirt some in and then drive for bit. might help get it where it needs to go.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 11, 2017 10:45PM
I’ve used it on a garden tractor. It worked great. For a car tire ? Well, you’ll need a couple of gallons and a compressor. Basically unscrew the valve ( all the air goes whoosh), pump in a quart or two of the goop, put the valve back in. Fill tire with air. And then ( this is critical) drive around for a half hour. That distributes the goop and finds the leaks.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: October 12, 2017 12:11AM
Slime only works on tread. If you are not ever putting on tires there is a bicycle bead sealer that you put in with compressor . Did it for bead leak on oversized PU tires; need more than 1 per tire thou .
Posted by: jardster
Date: October 12, 2017 06:11AM
i used something like this once for a snow blower tire that wouldn't stay inflated. worked great and it's still good 1.5 years later. For a car tire... I don't know how much it would take. As others have said, driving it around after putting it in is important. Why not try 1 tire and see how it goes?

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 12, 2017 08:20AM
C(-)ris, I will diffidently point out that the driver's safety may be worth the $80 to fix your leaks. Just saying... Once you're out $40 for a couple of gallons of slime, you are halfway there. And most repair shops will NOT want to work on slimed tires. May charge you extra if you ever actually get them fixed.

(Sam's club does mine for free...)
Date: October 12, 2017 08:47AM
cbelt3
C(-)ris, I will diffidently point out that the driver's safety may be worth the $80 to fix your leaks. Just saying... Once you're out $40 for a couple of gallons of slime, you are halfway there. And most repair shops will NOT want to work on slimed tires. May charge you extra if you ever actually get them fixed.

(Sam's club does mine for free...)

It just isn't worth the $80 to fix it. It is a '03 Pontiac Vibe with 180k miles. Lots of rust on the bottom, multiple dents from deer on the exterior, exhaust has holes all over, the rear end whines incessantly, timing guides are worn and the chain makes noise until it warms up, AC is poor, heat works though. It is AWD though and the tires have good tread and aren't rotted and it starts ever time(until that timing chain goes) and the transmission shifts great. It got a whole 600 miles on it in the last 3 months. I'm not even sure I want to spend the money on an oil change for it when it is due in 3 more months. It just isn't worth it...I bought it for $1100 a year ago when I needed an extra vehicle occasionally. I use it to haul brush to the recycling center on the weekends or to take our dog out because we don't let him in the new car.

C(-)ris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 08:49AM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: raz
Date: October 12, 2017 09:41AM
You'd be amazed at how many of those are still running.

I just sold my '03 Matrix (essentially the Vibe) to my son for $1. It got side swiped by a drunk driver at 3am. Fortunately, my son was not in the care, the cops took the moron into custody, and his insurance covered the damages.

The guys at the body shop were stunned to learn it is 14+ years old. I have had to replace a few odd sensors, and the exhaust manifold failed and was replaced at 130,000 miles. But, the body shop told him not to sell it. Heck, all the scratches and dents on the driver's side are now gone.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 12, 2017 10:15AM
Any chance you could find out who put the tires on? Most shops should be willing to repair a slow leak due to poor mounting if they did the work originally.

I had the same issue with my old Cressida, whose 20+ year old aluminum rims were beginning to corrode. The shop guys would apply some thick black goop to the rim edges before mounting the tire again. Usually worked. Still miss that car though.
Date: October 12, 2017 12:43PM
mikebw
Any chance you could find out who put the tires on? Most shops should be willing to repair a slow leak due to poor mounting if they did the work originally.

I had the same issue with my old Cressida, whose 20+ year old aluminum rims were beginning to corrode. The shop guys would apply some thick black goop to the rim edges before mounting the tire again. Usually worked. Still miss that car though.

I know who did it, retailer about 60 miles away in the next state over. Their warranty specifically says original owner only. I checked into that first hoping to get them to fix it. It isn't worth the drive since it is an unknown if they will fix it or not. If I ever have a reason to drive over there I will set up an appointment and try.

C(-)ris
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: October 12, 2017 11:12PM
If you do slime, warn everyone who ever touches the tires. Mechanics get really frustrated by it.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 13, 2017 07:57AM
Local gas station fixes them for about $12, off car.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 13, 2017 08:47AM
....can make one....tired......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: wurm
Date: October 14, 2017 08:38AM
Lots of rust on the bottom, multiple dents from deer on the exterior, exhaust has holes all over, the rear end whines incessantly, timing guides are worn and the chain makes noise until it warms up

I have to guess you're not in a state that does annual inspections. I'm surprised they'll even let you register and insure it. And if it isn't registered and insured, how do you haul brush to the recycling center on the weekends?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 222
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015