The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $159.88 ( +2.89 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Help: Retrieve Lost Office 2011 Product Key
Posted by: steveroberts
Date: October 12, 2017 06:40AM
Hi Friends.

I recently cloned a drive, initiated a system upgrade (to Sierra), and performed various other housekeeping on my Mac.

I have by-and-large switched from using Office 2011 to Libre Office, but recently tried to run Excel and got the "license key" activation box.

I searched diligently, but I could not find my original product CD or license key info.

Is there a way to find the number online, or by inspecting a file on my hard drive?

Thanks very much for any assistance you can provide.

SR
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Help: Retrieve Lost Office 2011 Product Key
Posted by: clay
Date: October 12, 2017 08:16AM
not that I'm aware of. Kind of a tangent, but I had to resort to a legal grey area when MS prevented me from activating my legit copy of office 2011 on my computer after I apparently had activated it too many times in its lifetime. I've since moved on to office 2016, but that activation/serial number crap is annoying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 08:16AM by clay.
Posted by: riley5108
Date: October 12, 2017 09:34AM
Take a look at the following:
[apple.stackexchange.com]
There is an additional link there that takes you thought things step-by-step on that website -- check it out too. Make sure you have a good backup before replacing those files.

I have personally Not done this, but I'm also running low on the number of times I can use my Key Code to install Office 2011 on another drive.

Edit: I can't help you Retrieve your Lost Office 2011 Product Key. Mine was sent to me and is in my email when I downloaded and installed Office 2011. I also copied it and placed it (Office 2011 Key) in a text file and stored it on my hard drive.

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 09:47AM by riley5108.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 12, 2017 10:08AM
The last time I tried to go through that process I had to call India or Pakistan and have a guy with a VERY thick accent rattle off a, no exaggeration, 40+ digit key that when entered would reset something that allowed me to install it again. It took about 20min to get through this because of his accent. I'm sure he's a smart guy, but if you're going to outsource something that requires conveying a 40+ digit code verbally...get someone who is a native speaker of the language and from the same country. I'm sure if someone from the US tried to do this for someone in Britain similar problems would have ensued..."Bupkiss-bupkiss-zee-eh-eh-one-three-doublehockeysticks-..." and likewise if someone from Britain tried to help someone from the US..."Haitch-zed-naught-zed-zed-haitch-naught-one..."

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 12, 2017 10:09AM
Absolute Worse case - iSerial Reader

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: October 12, 2017 01:24PM
I feel you. I went through something like that -- under a deadline, in an urgent situation. I tore the office apart and couldn't find the CD. I couldn't find any record on my computer. I spent my last couple hours moving everything out of a read-only Word document and into Mariner Write and trying to fix the formatting, rather than actually finishing the project and proofreading it.

I did find the key eventually. Now I keep all my serials on 1Password, since I have it backed nineteen different ways.

I still don't know what prompted Office to poop the bed. I hadn't installed a new hard drive or anything.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: October 12, 2017 07:12PM
If you have an old backup, and haven't run an update on Office for a couple of years then restoring the /Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.office.licensing.plist file should do the trick.

Unfortunately, one of the Office updates added some extra checks so that just having your old license file is no longer sufficient.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 207
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015