Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $159.88 ( +2.89 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mac Mini 3 beeps
Posted by: TLB
Date: October 12, 2017 07:56AM
After decades of problem free Macs, my fourth Mac in a row with a hardware failure. Ok, the mini (2011?) crashed hard last night and tried to restart itself twice as if an unexpected shutdown occurred then just turned off. I left it and went to bed; this morning I get the regular 3 beep ram error chime. Before I swap out ram and check the slots individually--do you think this is likely just bad ram or bad slot or do you think it is TU with a bad logic board? I know pure conjecture without any further investigation on my part, but just seeing if anyone else may have similar symptoms.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mac Mini 3 beeps
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 12, 2017 08:35AM
Your choices are ram and logic board...they both present themselves the same way. You are going to have to check. The ram is the more likely cause. Just reseating it might fix your problem.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: October 12, 2017 09:20AM
What is TU?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 12, 2017 09:20AM
TLB,

There is actually another possibility. The '08 Mac Pro my office used as its primary machine produced strange beeps upon startup. After lots of troubleshooting, the culprit wasn't the computer. It was the aging Drobo I had connected to it. Once I disconnected the Drobo, the beeps vanished never to return. turns out the drives in the Drobo were fine. The enclosure itself was failing. Still not sure why it was causing the tower to beep but it was 100% definitely the source of the problem.

Robert
Date: October 12, 2017 09:41AM
ka jowct
What is TU?

Tango Uniform - military slang for dead or inoperative, further translation is a tad vulgar.
Posted by: billb
Date: October 12, 2017 10:07AM
TLB
ka jowct
What is TU?

Tango Uniform - military slang for dead or inoperative, further translation is a tad vulgar.

[www.urbandictionary.com]

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: October 12, 2017 07:16PM
3 beeps is almost always bad RAM, rarely a bad RAM slot.

If you've upgraded the OS recently, that would be a good tell that it's the RAM. Some OS updates do a bit more error-checking than the preceding version.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 13, 2017 07:23AM
....could it be the Road Runner.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: October 13, 2017 01:17PM
Removed the RAM, cleaned slots with compressed air and DIMM contacts with alcohol. Booted fine with no external connections other than keyboard, monitor and networking. I'll add back drives and other connections over the weekend.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 208
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015