advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Got Dawn soap all over London Fog raincoat. Label says "Dry clean only. " it's a raincoat.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 12, 2017 03:06PM
Long story. I was trying to spray a wasp nest through a jug that mixed the soap with the hose water. It busted and got the dawn all over the coat I was wearing for protection. The felt lining is not in it. It's just the canvas and a polyester-looking light lining. I'd like to save the $10 or whatever it costs. Does the dry cleaning fluid remove the soap or would they wash it out with water? If I wash it in the tub, I have a feeling it will take forever to get the soap out.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Got Dawn soap all over London Fog raincoat. Label says "Dry clean only. " it's a raincoat.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 12, 2017 03:24PM
If it was me, I'd just wash it in the tub with clean water... change the water and rinse a couple times, and then hang it to dry.
It's a freakin' raincoat... if it can't tolerate water, I'm OK with it falling apart NOW, and saving me the hassle of throwing it away later.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Re: Got Dawn soap all over London Fog raincoat. Label says "Dry clean only. " it's a raincoat.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 12, 2017 03:35PM
....never understood how raincoats can be 'dry clean only'.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 12, 2017 03:44PM
I would hang it, on a clothes hanger, outside and hose it down.
This should rinse off the soap yet help the coat to retain its shape and not get as wrinkled as if you wad it up in a tub.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 03:44PM by rgG.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: October 12, 2017 03:55PM
if it is a London fog, it seems like it is a fancy jacket for wearing over suits, and they may be worried about wrinkles, etc.

But for outdoor focused rain jackets, the reason to be careful about the method of cleaning is the DWR (durable water repellant) coating on the outside of the shell, since that can be damaged or compromised by cleaning. But the general method to restore the DWR is either to spray it on or to wash it in and dry it (does your label have any discussion about restoring the DWR??? Dry cleaning would not do that).
Posted by: billb
Date: October 12, 2017 04:06PM
soap might be just on the surface if the fabric is treated to be a water resistant "raincoat".

If it says dry clean "only" -in the washing machine or any sort aggressive cleaning will distort the fabric and it will look like a car in a car wreck.

If it says dry clean then very tenderly hand wash it. Like you would a favorite wool sweater. Maybe just hosing/spraying it off with cold water first.

Or spend the 12 bucks.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: hal
Date: October 12, 2017 05:55PM
I have never washed a rain jacket - rain takes care of that for me.

I say rinse it off and be done with it...
Posted by: tenders
Date: October 12, 2017 09:52PM
I've washed my khaki London Fog raincoat in a washing machine several times. Add liquid fabric softener and it'll maintain its (slightly) waterproof surface.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 13, 2017 09:22AM
.....you sure that is Dawn on that trenchcoat......and not some 'other' stain.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 14, 2017 06:17PM
With all that extra soap on it, I'm sure there will be enough left over to wash a stained blue dress from a while ago. I bet you could get it off with some good agitation, and a final wringing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 118
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015