Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I need a new online backup service
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: October 13, 2017 12:51PM
Backstory
Years ago I signed up with Mozy. Less than a month after I got my data uploaded, they changed their pricing to where it was cheaper for me to get a dedicated server than backup with them. So then I moved all my data over to Dreamhost. Six months or so later, they changed their policy to not allow such content. They switched to an "unlimited" model whereas before they gave you so many more GB for each month you were with them, and I had been with them for well over 10 years at that point.

So then I switched to CrashPlan and put a box at a friend's house. That worked well for years. Then, less than a year ago, I started using CrashPlan's personal paid service. I finally got all my data uploaded and it's been working great this year.

Now a month or two ago they announced they're getting out of personal plans. So now I'm on to find my next solution.

Requirements
I have 1.2TB of data on CrashPlan. I have Comcast. I can't upload that much in one month. So I would prefer a service that has another method of me getting them the data, for free or at a reasonable cost. I think right now I'm paying $6/mo. I'd like something for about that much.

I have multiple machines at home that backup to one machine, and then I use it to backup online. So I only need it to work for one computer.

Suggestions? TIA

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2017 12:51PM by M A V I C.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I need a new online backup service
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 13, 2017 12:56PM
Im using backblaze -- not really sure how to give it a "its awesome" or anything -- all I know is that its working, and I can see my files are backed up.

I thought Comcast gave you 1 TB? How long would it take for you to upload 1.2 TB? (backblaze has a calculator, FWIW). If it takes, say 10 days, then start upload 5 days before your billing cycle ends...600 MB on one billing cycle, and 600 MB on another =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 13, 2017 01:06PM
Backblaze

Posted by: numbered
Date: October 13, 2017 01:50PM
Backblaze.

Our work IT guys did some due diligence (not that anything is forever) and think they are the most likely to survive in this business model.

Not sure how to get the 1TB to them, maybe it can be downloaded directly?
Posted by: clay
Date: October 13, 2017 01:52PM
I'm going to check this option out for a backup need that I have. It looks to replace my particular use case (previously used crash plan with no cloud backup, just another device that I control).

[syncthing.net]
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 13, 2017 02:00PM
If you were happy with your data being stored offsite with a trusted individual then I suggest you check out [www.syncthing.net]

Basically a free secure open source utility that allows you to share any folder or folders on one computer and have it automatically sync with any other computer. Lots and lots of ways to set it up.

I just started using it, mostly as a test to see if I could get it to work, (and it does work). You just need to install the app, get the unique ID for each computer so the utility knows who to allow access, then specify the folder(s), and make any changes you want.

In terms of upload caps, to get started you could easily take a drive to your friend again with all the data already on it, and then there would not need to be any transfer to determine the files were in sync. Only changes you make on your end will be uploaded to the other location. You can make it so only one side can make changes I think, which would be preferable for a backup.

Again I haven't used it a lot, but it seems that as long as the process is running (in the Terminal) and your internet connection is up, that it will scan periodically and upload your changes (encrypted during transfer) to the other location. I've been thinking of creating encrypted disk images or ZIP files of important files so that wherever I decide to backup to, individuals at that location who might have physical access won't be able to open the actual files. OF course you need to trust them enough to keep the computer running so the uploads can occur.
Posted by: rz
Date: October 13, 2017 02:22PM
You could always just buy a big hard drive and keep it offsite, like at work. Bring it home once a week to update it. One time cost, no recurring fee and no worries about whether the company you choose will disappear overnight.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: October 13, 2017 02:56PM
rz
You could always just buy a big hard drive and keep it offsite, like at work. Bring it home once a week to update it. One time cost, no recurring fee and no worries about whether the company you choose will disappear overnight.

This is a good approach.
I'd modify it to recommend using at least two hard drives. Bring them into work on different days. You'll always have at least one off-site backup in case things go bad (e.g. structure fire) during the workday.

Some folks use 5 hard drives and bring in a different one each weekday. If you work weekends, make it 7 drives.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: October 13, 2017 03:29PM
Please--If you like your current back up company-DO NOT RECOMMEND them to "the kiss of death" Mavic
:-)

I agree about BackBlaze, but aslo always recommend two versions of TimeMachine or SuperDuper with one offsite.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 13, 2017 03:44PM
smiley-score010

Ken Sp.
Please--If you like your current back up company-DO NOT RECOMMEND them to "the kiss of death" Mavic
:-)

I agree about BackBlaze, but aslo always recommend two versions of TimeMachine or SuperDuper with one offsite.
Date: October 13, 2017 03:53PM
Backblaze seems like a winner. That said, I just noticed Crashplan has a path to Carbonite. Anyone have a take on that one?

Posted by: numbered
Date: October 13, 2017 05:20PM
Backblaze has a page discussing the migration away from Crashplan...
Posted by: flightdelayedagain
Date: October 14, 2017 09:16AM
Not on-line but any thoughts on using a safe?

[www.amazon.com]
Date: October 14, 2017 10:08AM
numbered
Backblaze has a page discussing the migration away from Crashplan...

Thanks for that. I didn't realize backblaze only keeps older versions for 30 days. Seems like that's a deal breaker for many.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 218
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015