advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FU: TV flickering, but worked for 8 hrs.
Posted by: Microman
Date: October 13, 2017 12:58PM
Original Thread: [forums.macresource.com]

So I took off back, and had all the boards uncovered, and thought I would turn it on, and when I did, all was working ok. So I quickly and gently just pushed gently on all connections, and put it back together.

I then turned it right side up, and turned it on, and it worked all 8 hrs. I turned if off last night, and this morning it is doing the same thing, only seems little worse. More white lines going across.

When it was just doing , first thing this morning, I hit it a little on top and it cleared for a second, did that a few times, but now whacking it doesn't seem to change things.

I guess I can take off the back again... maybe unplug cables and plug back in..., Definitely will trouble shoot with back off.

Only thing is, this TV requires the back on to put the stand on... would be nice to have it stand up, while I have the back off to test.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2017 04:09PM by Microman.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FU: TV flickering, but worked for 8 hrs.
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 13, 2017 01:19PM
I wonder if just have the AC power unplugged for some period of time might have been what helped it.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 13, 2017 01:56PM
If hitting it did something there is a loose connection somewhere. Might be a bad solder joint too. Or something inside a component. Once it is doing it put a mirror or something on the table and lay the TV against the wall. Use a plastic(NON CONDUCTIVE) stick and press on the parts and see if you can find one that makes it go back to normal. WATCH OUT FOR HIGH VOLTAGE.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 13, 2017 03:09PM
Did you try using any of the different video inputs to see if that changed anything?
Date: October 13, 2017 04:08PM
Yes, HDMI 3 with an amazon fire stick gives same results as tuner...

Will get it up and running, and back off, and leaning with mirror, etc, and do a little gentle probing., as mentioned above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2017 04:08PM by Microman.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 13, 2017 04:35PM
I miss the good ol days of smacking a TV to get it working.

I remember some TVs that had to be smacked in just the right way... (ex: hit with a closed fist on the top of the set, NOT an open hand to the side)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 14, 2017 05:37PM
That's known as a percussive or kinetic tune-up.
Date: October 14, 2017 08:45PM
Its 7:00 pm here in southern California, and I just took off the back , and the stand can go back on, but it has the tv leaning back a little, as the back takes up a little of the space for stand tightening. But I put a TV tray to act as a backup help.

Anyway, I get it turned on, and its doing its messy screen, and I get a plastic pen, and I just tap a couple of times the cover on the T CON board at the top, and the picture comes back on perfect. I will leave it this way until tomorrow. Morning I do my best work. Will look at connections, but I should read a video on the connectors to see how they are held..

But nice to narrow down the area to look.

Yea, this is fun.... when things go correctly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2017 08:46PM by Microman.
Re: FU: TV flickering, but worked for 8 hrs. IT WORKS !! FIXED! No flickering
Date: October 15, 2017 02:16PM
I was going to post a fresh post directing to this as a follow up, but here is the good news.

Last night discovered that placing a plastic pen at the location of input cable on T Con board stopped the flickering. As mentioned in earlier answer to thread, possible loose connection, or bad connection on cable.

So I took off cover of T Con Board, and pulled back black tape, and foil, and loosened cable coming into board. Very fragile as I have been reading online., but cable came loose and I moved things away, and screwed T CON without cover to hold in place while I plugged cable back in.

I moved some of that black tape from another area in back of TV to cover the cable connection, and replaced the other with electrical tape. As it was only speaker wires or similar against metal back.

I then hooked up a HDMI to VGA/RGB with audio adapter, that I was going to use on another 42” TV, that my son gave me, that has bad HDMI ports. But so far, it did not work, there, and maybe the RGB is bad as well. But good news, there is a place that is selling the main board for his TV that would include the HDMI ports, etc, locally on eBay about 10 miles from house and they have local pickup

And this is what the TV looks like with the Screen Saver on an Amazon Firestick thru the VGA port, with HDMI to VGA adapter.

There has been no flickering, and I think this original big screen purchase is now working. I first posted about this in 2014. So it has been sitting a while.

This is the 2nd TV to be fixed. First sons 32” Magnavox power supply with new capacitors, and now this with a loose cable on T CON Board…….. YEA!!!

Now if I could just find the remote: Vizio VR3P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2017 02:21PM by Microman.
Posted by: Carm
Date: October 15, 2017 03:13PM
Good job, saved another TV from the landfill.
Edit:
[m.ebay.com]

Says it's a replacement for the VR3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2017 03:16PM by Carm.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 16, 2017 07:11AM
Nice! Thanks for the follow-up and great pics,

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 16, 2017 10:41AM
Good work!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 18, 2017 03:10PM
....so the PEN_IS......mightier than the sword.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 18, 2017 04:51PM
depends on the swordsman.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 260
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015