The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Obesity is getting completely out of hand
Posted by: hal
Date: October 13, 2017 04:30PM
Poll
Are you obese (or worse)?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
78 votes were received.
yes 24

31%
no 54

69%

I've been noticing when looking at groups of children. They're HUGE! When I was a kid 40+ years ago, it seemed to me that there was one obese kid in every class. Sometimes two, sometimes zero - NEVER three. These days, it seems that every group of ten kids has 3 or 4 or 5 HUGE ones in it. It's not just the US, it look like all of the first world is having this problem.

Obesity among all US adults reaches all-time high

Obesity rates among children see tenfold increase in past 40 years

TENFOLD! That means that the one obese kid in class is now 10 obese kids and that pretty much matches my shoot from the hip observations. Where is this leading us to?

Me personally... I never had any kind of weight problem until I got my first job that required sitting in a chair. I hover between those last two squares that are within 'overweight' and I often touch 'obese' at the end of winter for a week or two. But seeing my 'morbidly obese' mom in old age is enough incentive to make sure that I NEVER get worse than where I'm at now. Looking around her assisted living building... you don't see a lot of obese octogenarians. They usually just don't make it that far - she's the biggest one in the building. Her family has insanely strong genes. But life is HARD. She's 82 and has a very difficult time moving her bulk. Getting up out of a chair requires ALL of her strength and sometimes, she just can't do it on her own and has to call for help.

I know it's a tough issue for some to address, but do it when you still can!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Obesity is getting completely out of hand
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 13, 2017 04:48PM
I remember hating myself as a teenager because I was so "fat". I was comparing myself to Twiggy and Jean Shrimpton, whereas I had more of a fifties type of body. There were no obese kids in our school that I remember, so I felt quite large even though now I look back and wonder what the heck I was thinking.

Posted by: hal
Date: October 13, 2017 04:54PM
$tevie
I remember hating myself as a teenager because I was so "fat". I was comparing myself to Twiggy and Jean Shrimpton, whereas I had more of a fifties type of body. There were no obese kids in our school that I remember, so I felt quite large even though now I look back and wonder what the heck I was thinking.

I swear... I want to grab every young girl I see and tell her that she's beautiful. When you get to your 50s, youth itself is beautiful. I want to tell that girl to take a good look at herself because one day she will look at a picture of herself at this age and say, 'I had no idea I was so beautiful.' Most women I know said this at some point.

The 60s really twisted the idea of beauty with that 'Twiggy' thing.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 13, 2017 05:20PM
I spent most my adult life at 23, and many years after that at 24 & 26. But now Im way more. Id like to be at a 29, kind of a big goal for the next bit...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: October 13, 2017 05:30PM
BMI 20. However that's as high as I've been so doc says that if you're supposed to be at 16 then lose some weight. Mom is BMI 16 at 76 y.o. and has never been above that except when pregnant. Skinny jeans genes for us I suppose.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 13, 2017 05:36PM
....no most are just PHAT.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 13, 2017 05:58PM
hal
I swear... I want to grab every young girl I see and tell her that she's beautiful. When you get to your 50s, youth itself is beautiful. I want to tell that girl to take a good look at herself because one day she will look at a picture of herself at this age and say, 'I had no idea I was so beautiful.'

And don't forget the sunscreen.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 13, 2017 06:02PM
Traveling on public transportation I get to see a lot of people. The number of incredibly obese people is breathtaking. 300-pounders moving in pods like whales.

....you gonna finish eating that?
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 13, 2017 06:08PM
Youth is wasted on the young.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: samintx
Date: October 13, 2017 06:32PM
I used to be called looking like "the running gears of a katydid". I have kept my weight down for appearances and back and knee problems.

The morbidly fat men and women that I see at the pool make me sick sick.Texas wins the Fat People award.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2017 06:34PM by samintx.
Posted by: davester
Date: October 13, 2017 06:33PM
Obesity varies significantly based on region, race and education-level. The west has relatively low obesity rates compared to the midwest and south, and I live in an area where a large fraction of the populace is college-educated and white or asian, so I only see clusters of obese people when I go into San Francisco's tourist zones. Here are some interesting maps of 2016 obesity rates (https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/prevalence-maps.html):

Overall Obesity Rates:

White Non-Hispanic Obesity Rates:

Black Obesity Rates:

Hispanic Obesity Rates:

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: billb
Date: October 13, 2017 06:43PM
Good thing there isn't much of a hispanic population to distort map data in California.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 13, 2017 06:49PM
A. Bit under the BMI, chunky but getting better.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: October 13, 2017 07:19PM
I laughed when 45's medical records were released, he had grown an inch so he could slide in just below obese.

I dropped down to 195, high school weight, just before I started chemo last fall. General consensus is that I was way too skinny. Anti-nausea drugs have made great strides, I gained weight during treatment. Glad I did not buy any skinny jeans...

The BMI chart doesn't work so well with all body types, I probably fall in the obese zone. Haven't decided if the titanium rod in my femur is a net gain...

=wr=
Posted by: rz
Date: October 13, 2017 07:28PM
My son is very trim. Probably has a BMI in the 10-15 range. He eats very well and is active. His school had someone come in from the county to assess the kids, and we got a letter saying we had to take our son to his doctor to be checked out. We weren't happy. The pediatrician was furious. She wrote, in big letters on the form "THIS IS A HEALTHY CHILD!". The problem is that so many kids are obese these days that he is considered underweight compared to his classmates. His best friend is borderline obese, but he told us they didn't send a letter home to his mom. I guess he was considered "normal".
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 13, 2017 08:12PM
In the last 18 months, candy and ice cream have ceased to be a "Primary Food Group" for me. I also started exercising more and, I'm down from my high weight of 287 to 249. Slow and steady..... old fogey smiley
Posted by: decay
Date: October 13, 2017 09:38PM
I think it's more processed garbage food than when we grew up (1970s-80s) and way more soda pop / sugar drinks.

---
Posted by: maco
Date: October 13, 2017 09:55PM
My BMI is in the healthy range, it has been for my entire life. I am rather frugal at times and don't like to buy new clothes unless I have to. This has been a big motivator for me.
Date: October 13, 2017 10:04PM
Far too much added sugars to processed and prepared foods.
Thin kids are skateboarding, playing ball, staying active. Fat %@#$& are couch potatoes scarfing cheetohs, watching CNN being told what to think and how much junk food to eat and drink all day.

I would be 24/25 on that chart. Two years ago I was 28. To me that's not much of an accomplishment at all because for 40+ years I was 17/18. Wanting to be 20'22 is why I'm running and fast walking. That and hoping to keep the arthritis that my younger brothers are, and father struggled with, at bay.

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2017 08:31AM by billb.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: October 13, 2017 10:59PM
I'm at BMI 23, slight build and always small for my age growing up. When I was hospitalized as a kid they tried to fatten me up. It didn't work. In high school, I yearned for the day when I wouldn't have to wear child sizes. Almost a Tom Thumb. Well not quite. Maybe Tom Big Toe.

Good thing too. Due to leg problems, if I'd been of normal weight, I'd have been in a wheelchair years ago.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 14, 2017 12:11AM
The increase in percentage of Obese kids are why there is an epidemic of them coming down with type 2 diabetes. I think I first mentioned it here in 2010.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 14, 2017 01:24AM
The 24 they have listed for my height and weight would be my fighting weight, it's incredibly slim for my build. Unfortunately, I'm a bit higher than that right now.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 14, 2017 07:35AM
Hal,

The BMI is misleading, possibly to the point that it's garbage. Heck, the basis for it wasn't even developed by a medical professional. Far from.

Robert
Posted by: 3d
Date: October 14, 2017 07:52AM
At 6'7" and 280lbs, according to the chart, NY Yankees MVP candidate Aaron Judge is high risk for obesity.

Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: October 14, 2017 08:17AM
I'm not overweight. I'm undertall.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: DP
Date: October 14, 2017 08:32AM
CJsNvrUrly
I'm not overweight. I'm undertall.

thumbs up Me too!

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: October 14, 2017 09:11AM
When I was a kid, there were almost no overweight kids in school with me, and those that I can recall were somewhat overweight, not grossly overweight like some of the kids I see here who look like they are going to burst out of their skin. I can recall one family, all of whom were obese, but that was definitely not typical. I see many more grossly overweight kids now.

My brother and I drank lots of KoolAid and soda, and ate all the incredible desserts that our grandmother made, and I think other kids in our community grew up similarly. Meals always included dessert in that era. I think the big difference between then and now may be in the respective levels of reasonable physical activity and exercise. My brother and I were very active kids, and other kids we knew were also very active. This may be why I did not know any kids who today would be labeled as having ADD.

There were no video games to suck kids in to hours of sedentary entertainment.

As an adult, I've been fortunate to live in places where I didn't need a car. I've never owned one. This has meant getting around by walking, cycling, etc. I use mass transit extensively, but getting to the subway or bus involves at least some effort. I feel a negative change in my energy level and overall sense of wellness after even a couple of days in car territory, visiting relatives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2017 02:39PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 14, 2017 12:41PM
I remember when I had my first Big Gulp. Maybe around '77 or '78. I was like, "Wow, a whole quart of soda. Cool." Before that a can of soda was plenty.

I remember when we'd eat fast food about once every two weeks (Mom's payday).

Then I remember in the 80's when everything was turning into "gourmet" this or that. I remember buying a Dove ice-cream bar. They said it was 600 calories. I was stunned but it was so delicious.

Then I remember when gourmet whatever became everyday meals.

Then I also remember when I noticed that I was sitting in front of some kind of screen more and more. The tv was finite. All the good stuff came on between 8 pm and Johnny Carson. It was dibs and dabs to watch the other times. I literally had to start watching my "figure" when I bought my Mac Plus.

One day I envisioned myself staring at all of the screens that I stare at every day, but instead of what I'm engaging in, the screens would be blank.

Imagine if instead of working on a report for 8 hours you just sat there looking at the screen for 8 hours. You're not really working on a report, or playing a game or binging on Netflix. You're really sitting on your bum doing nothing at all.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 14, 2017 01:02PM
DP and CJ,

You're not undertall. You just don't suffer from Tall Person's Disease. smiling smiley

Robert
Date: October 14, 2017 01:49PM
It's not just here in the states, it's all around the world. Any place where poverty/low income/uneducation is festering in combination with poor diets and inactivity.

hormones in the food on the left isn't helping either
neither are game boys and phone apps

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: evilrobot
Date: October 14, 2017 04:45PM
i work out 6 days a week, mostly free weights. at least 2 days are heavy interval cardio / HIIT.

that chart says i'm obese. lol.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 14, 2017 05:17PM
evilrobot
i work out 6 days a week, mostly free weights. at least 2 days are heavy interval cardio / HIIT.

Speaking of which, what is the original source of this particular BMI chart? This one puts me solidly into the "obese" range, while the one at my doctor's office still has me in the overweight range.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 14, 2017 06:28PM
There is an even worse effect - young women are now smoking to keep their weight down.

Obesity AND smoking - a generation that will have LOWER life expectancy than their parents.

My wife and I have both had weight problems our entire lives, but we are now taking this seriously like it's a chronic health condition (which it IS now that we are in our 50s). But I'm now in the normal weight range (after I hit the edge of obesity and became prediabetic) for 3 straight years, and my wife is no longer obese and is closing in on a healthy weight.

Unless and until we take this as seriously as smoking 20 years ago, it's going to lead to terrible health issues in 20-30 years for an entire generation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2017 06:29PM by sekker.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: October 14, 2017 06:43PM
I left Paris Island @ 24.5
These one size charts fits Big Pharma needs.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 15, 2017 06:30PM
sekker
There is an even worse effect - young women are now smoking to keep their weight down.

"Now"? This has been a practice since the 1920s.

"The President of the American Tobacco Company, Percival Hill, was one of the first tobacco executives to seek out the women’s market. Noting the 1920s penchant for bobbed hair cuts, short skirts and slender figures, Mr. Hill saw the potential in selling cigarettes as an appetite suppressant so that women could achieve the decade’s enviably small waistlines."
[en.m.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: decay
Date: October 16, 2017 09:19AM
BMI at 29, borderline "obese" by these standards.

I'm 6'1", 220 lbs. Sometimes I get up near 230, never really over that.

Crazy, considering what my body shape is like. ( not "fat" )

---
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 16, 2017 04:15PM
There are always outliers.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 16, 2017 05:03PM
evilrobot

It's all that phat muscle you're rockin'!

It is what it is.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 16, 2017 05:22PM
There may be exceptions, but those gigantic walruses galumphing for the subway doors ain't exactly solid chunks of muscle.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 215
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015