advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Broadband Prices Are About to Soar & Wall Street is Thrilled
Posted by: numbered
Date: October 17, 2017 12:01PM
Some Wall Street analysts are expecting a large jump in ISP rates, in part to offset cord cutting of pay TV services. They note that in the current regulatory environment, ISPs are well positioned to get away with it...

The hoped for but yet-to-be-seen uncapped wireless broadband or Google balloons are our only hope.

Thanks to the one-two punch of apathetic, rubber stamping regulators and a lack of competition in the space, Wall Street analysts have been celebrating what they believe will be a major spike in US broadband pricing. Last week New Street analyst Jonathan Chaplin predicted that Comcast's broadband rates specifically could double from existing pricing levels, which are already among the most expensive among all developed nations.

We have argued that broadband is underpriced, given that pricing has barely increased over the past decade while broadband utility has exploded,” New Street said. “Our analysis suggested a ‘utility-adjusted’ ARPU target of ~$90. Comcast recently increased standalone broadband to $90 (including modem), paving the way for faster ARPU growth as the mix shifts in favor of broadband-only households. Charter will likely follow, once they are through the integration of Time Warner Cable.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Broadband Prices Are About to Soar & Wall Street is Thrilled
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 17, 2017 12:32PM
And the streaming content is increasingly split among different subscription services.
Posted by: bfd
Date: October 17, 2017 12:42PM
They will have to offer better internet service/pricing to their core users to keep them, so that might help. They'll get more creative with the packaging, and more punitive with the pipelines.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: October 17, 2017 12:43PM
I'm already paying through the nose for 85Mbps (+ unlimited tier) via Comcast. I sure as hell wish there was some competition in my area.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 17, 2017 12:43PM
I dream of the day I can get 400 Mbps on a 5G Cellular connection and tell Comcast to go burn in hell.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 17, 2017 12:50PM
My 50/50 FiOS connection is now up to $92.99/mo and I am pretty sure there are better deals to be had. Never going back to Comcast though.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 17, 2017 01:15PM
Locked in for at least another 18 months @ $30 with 50/15 from ATT. Always smooth and speedy. Hope I can keep the same deal when it comes time to renew.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: 3d
Date: October 17, 2017 01:44PM
Latest Verizon FiOS offer:

TV, Phone, and 940/880 Mbps internet
+ HBO for 2 years.

After taxes, fees, STB rentals, DVR, router, etc,,,

Year One is $115/month
Year Two is $120/month

Hmmm.... maybe i should lock in the rate with the two year contract.
Date: October 17, 2017 02:31PM
$120 seems pretty good. Any chance you can drop the land line? Further discount?

----

Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 17, 2017 02:35PM
No real competition where I live.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: October 17, 2017 02:48PM
All I want is broadband. I don't want or need TV or telephone. I get my local channels via digital antenna and there's nothing on Cable TV/Satellite I want. Very happy with the streaming channels on my AppleTV, not to mention my movie collection/etc. There is zero need for a landline telephone.

In my neck of the woods, there are actually options, to correct my earlier post. There's Comcast/Xfinity, AT&T DSL, or Fidelity Broadband. DSL is a joke and Fidelity has too much downtime to be a viable contender. So that's what I mean when I say there's no option.

I pay about $130/month for 85Mbps unlimited. I think it's $80 for the broadband with a 1TB limit and $50 extra for unlimited. I work from home, and do a lot of graphics and document work for engineers and architects who don't know how to reduce file sizes. I also have 4 other humans under the roof, so 1TB isn't really enough. (It's not all entertainment streaming; a couple of my kids do a lot of online coursework which includes live classes (interactive as well).

I'd be happy for AT&T to up their fiber game, or for Fidelity to suddenly have over 95% uptime. And don't get me wrong; Comcast is *great* -- uptime is consistent, speed is good. I just resent the hell out of them for what they're charging me *because* there's no competition and will dump them as soon as I can.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2017 02:48PM by Zoidberg.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 17, 2017 02:56PM
jdc
$120 seems pretty good. Any chance you can drop the land line? Further discount?

You only get deals on packages.
Posted by: rz
Date: October 17, 2017 02:59PM
I pay $85/month for 100Mbps internet with Spectrum (Charter). AT&T gigabit fiber is in the area, but not my neighborhood. It took a while to find actual prices, and even then to just find price on broadband only, but it looks like it would only be about $10/month more for 10 times the speed. Hopefully it'll be soon...
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 17, 2017 04:06PM
The thing the ISP providers now control the markets they are in, broadband is necessity, and they have a trapped audience - they can charge what they like and damn well will.

I expect the article is right, and we can expect a 100% increase in the next few years. Forget the bundling deals - there will be an outrageous price and no real option for the foreseeable future.

We are living in a 21st century gilded age, except Carnegie, Rockefeller, and JP Morgan go by the names of corporations.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Date: October 17, 2017 04:22PM
Ombligo
The thing the ISP providers now control the markets they are in, broadband is necessity, and they have a trapped audience - they can charge what they like and damn well will.

I expect the article is right, and we can expect a 100% increase in the next few years. Forget the bundling deals - there will be an outrageous price and no real option for the foreseeable future.

We are living in a 21st century gilded age, except Carnegie, Rockefeller, and JP Morgan go by the names of corporations.

That about sums it up; yes.

Posted by: max
Date: October 17, 2017 09:05PM
jdc

I can't believe that anybody would see $120 a month as a great deal and not an outright highway robbery....

Even though the Internet was invented in the United States, Americans pay the most in the world for broadband access. And it’s not exactly blazing fast.

For an Internet connection of 25 megabits per second, New Yorkers pay about $55 — nearly double that of what residents in London, Seoul, and Bucharest, Romania, pay. And residents in cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo and Paris get connections nearly eight times faster.
[www.pbs.org]

when you look at mobile internet speed where the US ranks 46th, just ahead of Albania and behind Oman. Average download speed in the US is 23.05 Mbps which is less than half the average download speeds in Norway, the Netherlands and Hungary. Average upload speed in the US is 8.26 Mbps. While mobile download speed increased by almost 20% from July 2016 to July 2017, the US’s world ranking fell from 44th to 46th.
[www.forbes.com]

Hey, but we make up for our poor speeds by being 6th in how much we pay for the privelege....

According to the World Bank, the monthly cost of owning and using a cell phone in the US is $35.62. Only the Netherlands ($41.47), Ireland ($40.33), France ($40.27), Spain ($37.80) and Switzerland ($36.02) have higher monthly mobile costs measured in US dollars. The US ranks sixth in the world in the cost for mobile internet and 46th in mobile internet speed.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 18, 2017 12:36AM
There's no question the 'cable' companies are going to raise prices - they have employees to pay, profits to bring to shareholders!

After all, they have been Captains of Innovation! Just look at that cable box - it's changed SO MUCH since the iPhone came out. We have to keep the cable box technicians with paychecks for their families!

What's that? You do not WANT a cablebox? Why, we will just 'lease' you a $30 cable modem and wifi hub for only $10/15/20 a month. You want to stream?! Why, that doubles the broadband bill!

Seriously, these arguments will be seen at EVERY municipality over the next 2-5 years.
Date: October 18, 2017 01:16AM
max
jdc

I can't believe that anybody would see $120 a month as a great deal and not an outright highway robbery....

I say the same thing every time my wife gets a latte at starbucks.

If you can find it cheaper, we are all ears. smiley-signs003

----

Posted by: what4
Date: October 18, 2017 09:27AM
You might consider a device like this one for low-demand internet use at 3G speeds. That could reduce the amount of high-speed bandwidth you need.

You buy the flashed hotspot, then pay $5 a month for unlimited 3G on Verizon -- speeds around 1 Mbps, better in ideal locations.

I don't know the technicalities of it, but there are numerous versions on eBay. I tried one and it seemed to work well for image-light sites, email, and streaming at tablet quality. Also worked with a laptop in the car -- on low-bandwidth sites. It helped to use Opera browser set to require approval before downloading images.

I know a case where someone used one of these 3G hotspots for a month during provider outages, with a family of 4, and managed.

I've heard that these are marketed to RV users who often do not otherwise have internet access.

{I do not have a financial interest in this product.}

3G Hotspot

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2017 03:25PM by what4.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 18, 2017 10:01AM
Isn't 3g being phased out, and its spectrum reallocated to 4g?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 18, 2017 12:42PM
With the WS analysts cheering them on, I am certain the cable companies like Comcast, Charter and Time Warner will keep on raising rates for internet access. It is already about $75 a month for 25 mbps down here from Comcast when not on introductory pricing. In most places they have worked out effective monopolies, so no competitive market to keep them in check.

It may take more communities taking action to provide their own internet access. There have been scattered reports of this happening around the country; recently my town started its own municipal broadband provider. I plan to switch to it from my Verizon DSL line soon.

What they are doing is installing fiber along the streets with 1 gbps wireless access points. The cost is $30 per month for 30/30 service plus $10 a month for the access box. 75/75 service is $40 per month. There are higher speed options for businesses including direct fiber connections.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2017 03:35PM by JoeH.
Posted by: bfd
Date: October 18, 2017 02:22PM
Cox has decided to cap at 2TB/month. With a normal sized family, if you d/l movies and do any streaming, you can hit that ceiling pretty easy.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 18, 2017 02:42PM
jdc
max
jdc

I say the same thing every time my wife gets a latte at starbucks.

If you can find it cheaper, we are all ears. smiley-signs003

Not to put words in his mouth but he didn't say anything about finding it cheaper. I took it as a comment about the ridiculous price--and I happen to agree.

(Coffee, on the other hand... Yes, it's not hard to find it for less than Starbucks.)

Date: October 18, 2017 04:01PM
Yeah, I think we all agree that its too much, but getting all the things he mentioned for $120 is below "market" price -- so a good deal.

=)

----

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 190
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015