Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Going Through Stuff - Sorting, Selling, Donating & Trashing
Posted by: maco
Date: October 19, 2017 03:07PM
Young people don't want their parents' stuff
"There was a time when family heirlooms were cherished, but now minimalism is valued more."

[www.treehugger.com]

'Swedish death cleaning' is the new decluttering trend
"In Swedish, the word is "dostadning" and it refers to the act of slowly and steadily decluttering as the years go by, ideally beginning in your fifties (or at any point in life) and going until the day you kick the bucket. "

[www.treehugger.com]

George Carlin Talks About "Stuff"
[www.youtube.com]

I've been going through my house full of stuff lately. I'm sorting through one of my closets right now. All kinds of tech stuff dating back to the 1980's, among other things. Things that I haven't looked at for many years. As some of you remember, my wife passed away 5 years ago. We accumulated a lifetime's worth of stuff. I've got some of my late parents' stuff and some of her late parents' stuff too! Then there's all of my son's stuff and my daughter's stuff, they have both graduated from college and have moved out. Slowly but surely, it's getting done. I'm encouraging them to take some of things that they want now, rather than waiting for the future. It is a good feeling to get this done. So much of this stuff has lost so much of the meaning or significance that it once had for me. ! I know that my kids are hoping that when that they comes for me, they won't have to deal with all of this stuff.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Going Through Stuff - Sorting, Selling, Donating & Trashing
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: October 19, 2017 03:12PM
Well, hopefully, that time for you is a LONG LONG LONG ways off...

Going thru de-cluttering too, trying to get down to the essentials so that I don't waste time maintaining clutter... too many other things in life to do...

Just bought a new house, and moved into it and want to keep it clutter free the best I can. Not the George Carlin approach! winking smiley
Posted by: lost in space
Date: October 19, 2017 03:15PM
Good on you. Carlin would be proud.

You might know about this book. Very helpful for us

Tidying book

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 19, 2017 03:23PM
Excellent idea. Despite us taking over 10 HUGE dumpsters of stuff out of my inlaws house, my wife insisted we bring a huge amount of it home. To our house. Where it sits. Along with our stuff.

I'm slowly getting rid of my stuff too.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 19, 2017 03:40PM
I was given a good lesson by the parents after school. You're stuff will be here until the END of NEXT summer. Come back over the summer and collect everything you want - by fall, it'll all be thrown out.

That made for a very clean break and no hard feelings.
Date: October 19, 2017 03:42PM
Right now I'm looking at a Quantum Atlas II 8 GB - Ultra Wide SCSI HD that I never used. I use to put these in my Power Mac G3s. And there's my MessagePad 2100...
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 19, 2017 03:45PM
maco
Right now I'm looking at a Quantum Atlas II 8 GB - Ultra Wide SCSI HD that I never used. I use to put these in my Power Mac G3s. And there's my MessagePad 2100...

[forums.macresource.com]

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 19, 2017 03:48PM
It has been said that we spend the first half of our lives accumulating possessions and the second half getting rid of them. I am finding this to be true in my case.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2017 03:48PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: October 19, 2017 03:55PM
Speedy
maco

[forums.macresource.com]

Good idea! I've already told my girlfriend that I am going to keep a lot of my tech collection. I can't even remember how many Macs I still have. I know that I do have a 128K, a 512k, I'm guessing a Mac Plus, a couple of SE/30's and that's just some of the older stuff.smile smiley
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 19, 2017 04:17PM
maco
Speedy
maco

[forums.macresource.com]

Good idea! I've already told my girlfriend that I am going to keep a lot of my tech collection. I can't even remember how many Macs I still have. I know that I do have a 128K, a 512k, I'm guessing a Mac Plus, a couple of SE/30's and that's just some of the older stuff.smile smiley

Ok, I thought you just had a few items. Yes, you have a problem. Seek help before it is too late. confused smiley

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2017 04:18PM by Speedy.
Posted by: 3d
Date: October 19, 2017 04:24PM
maco
Young people don't want their parents' stuff
"There was a time when family heirlooms were cherished, but now minimalism is valued more."

I am considered "first generation" here in this wonderful country. My parents hurriedly boarded a plane with a couple suitcases of clothing mostly. So no "heirlooms" to pass down. I can only wonder what priceless antiques were left behind sad smiley
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 19, 2017 04:25PM
maco, at this point you've got a museum, and you're not 'moving junk around', you're CURATING.

At least that's what you can claim devil smiley
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 19, 2017 05:20PM
My parents (mom mostly) had almost as much stuff as cbelt3's in-laws. I shredded 68 banker boxes worth of paperwork, and the thrift store that came to pick through my mom's clothes said it was the biggest hoard they had ever personally seen.

I have way too much stuff and have been way too lax about throwing stuff out. I am pretty sure I inherited it from my mom.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Date: October 19, 2017 05:52PM
N-OS X-tasy!
It has been said that we spend the first half of our lives accumulating possessions and the second half getting rid of them. I am finding this to be true in my case.

So true! I'm 61 years old. It is a common theme for so many of my friends and relatives right now. My sister just told me than she plans on getting rid of 80% of her stuff.
Posted by: bfd
Date: October 19, 2017 06:09PM
Seems like knowing that you have the stuff is only half the job. Knowing where it is where things fall apart quickly. Also, what makes the decluttering process so difficult.

"Oh THERE it is. Can't get rid of that!"

And as always, as soon as you DO get rid of it… well, you know the rest.
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 19, 2017 06:29PM
We moved about a year ago, out of the house we had lived in for 27 years
I got rid of about 80% of our stuff. I bought mostly new furniture, to fit the new place, but kept it to a minimum.
My MIL died in January, and we have been getting rid of about 90% of her stuff.
My mom told me the other day that she is trying to finally get her stuff cleaned out, so that I won't have to.
My daughter just moved into a small one bedroom in Manhattan, back in June. She has gone minimalist and says she only buys things that "bring her joy." I think she may still have a few too many pairs of shoes, but otherwise, she is also good.
It is a very cleansing experience to get rid of stuff.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 19, 2017 07:11PM
I'm in my house for 35+ YEARS now and boy, do I have stuff sad smiley

Three years ago, I could have been a finalist in that cable show "Hoarders". Several dumpsters and yard sales later, I've shed about 60% of my "stuff". Still LOTS of stuff to get rid of before I can hope to sell said house. I have to get it down / minimize to where the stuff I keep will fit in my RV. old fogey smiley
Posted by: rz
Date: October 19, 2017 07:24PM
My dad is turning 90 this year. He was never big on "collecting" things, although my mom was. She passed away 11 years ago. When she passed, my dad had us kids come over to decide what to do with all of her stuff. I'm the youngest, and by far the most geographically displaced, so I didn't get a whole lot (not that I really wanted anything). My wife got a couple of fur coats. I got some pictures and some knick knacks that nobody else wanted.

He's already told my siblings that he and his wife will most likely move to an assisted living facility in the next couple of years. He can only drive during the day, and we're not that happy that he does... he's totaled two cars in the last 10 years. His wife is in her mid 80s, and she's had health problems. I think when she can't drive anymore, it's pretty much going to be the deciding factor. He's already started getting rid of stuff. My brother is getting his Shop Smith. If I lived closer, I might have gotten it. I don't think my brother does any kind of woodworking. Other than that, I don't think there's really anything of his that I want. When they go to assisted living, I can see him only taking his clothes, and any furniture they'll need. and maybe some pictures.

My situation, on the other hand, is living with a wife who is a borderline hoarder. My stuff is relegated to my man-cave/office. She and my son have pretty much filled the rest of the house with "stuff". She likes to collect things, and when she gets "in" to something, she goes all out.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: October 19, 2017 08:11PM
I have Mac OS floppies. Most of the operating systems in a Apple branded floppy zipper case. Can't let go. Doesn't take up that much room. Probably throw away the CDs and DVDs before I let go of those.

What slows me down is screws and bolts and hardware. About ready to take draws in my shop and just DUMP.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 19, 2017 09:56PM
Man, what a timely topic. We're all so similar in the desire for accumulation, until one day we look around and realize we don't know why the hell we're doing it.

I've reached middle age, and find myself in the funny position of looking at my parents' stuff (some of which is still my stuff that never left their house!) while at the same time assessing my own "too much stuff" situation.

I've figured the only things my kids will want are my concert ticket stubs, my photos, and some musical instruments. The rest... they'll be giving it all away, so I may as well start that process now.
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 19, 2017 10:15PM
We put a little pressure on my parents to part with some redundant wood furniture items early, when we could really use it. It worked out well; they didn't miss it, we've use it well, and we could repeatedly thank them in person over the years. I hope to do the same for my children.

A recent remodeling project has spurred us to critically review our own hoard. But we're not quite ready for the pre-retirement purge just yet, thankyouverymuch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2017 10:16PM by Acer.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: October 20, 2017 12:45AM
maco

Just by the way, I have a travel case for an SE/30 suiting in our attic. It's a little worse for the wear of sitting for so long, but if anyone wants it they can have it for the cost of shipping.

This thread strikes home for me. I will have to post separately about my health "news." I now have an expiration date, so I will be looking towards clearing out a lot of things that I thought I would sell. No point, now.

I don't think that anyone in my family or Mavis' will have much interest in what I have collected (accumulated) over the years. That makes me kind of sad.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: Michael
Date: October 20, 2017 05:50AM
We started a couple of years ago when our daughter told my wife that no kid of hers would want the toys my wife had been keeping for 25 years. That initiated an eBay sell; it's amazing what people will pay for our old stuff. It's an ongoing process. My wife is aware of eBay possibilities at this point and so stuff either goes on eBay or to Goodwill. I was just thinking about the clothes in my dresser that never get used. They are going to Goodwill this weekend.
Posted by: decay
Date: October 20, 2017 08:29AM
I'm 51 and looking around the house, attic, and garage, I need to get started on this, too.

---
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 20, 2017 08:46AM
....50.....Shades of Gray....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Randalls
Date: October 20, 2017 09:12AM
My wife just brought this home from the library. I think (know) she is trying to tell me something.

[www.amazon.com]

40 years of stuff. Need to let it go.
Posted by: LyleH
Date: October 20, 2017 11:25AM
We've lived in an independent living retirement facility (2 bedroom unit) for four years now. (Previously lived in houses for 50 years) I've only missed getting rid of a couple of things - my golf scorecards from many golf courses is one. Some of the other guys here do regret getting rid of many of their favorite hand tools, etc. Some of us do minor repairs in our apartments. I kept a small tool chest with some hand tools & electric drill that I use occasionally. And I still do very light maintenance on my 2 cars, so I keep wax and other things in my car.

One bedroom is my "computer room" with an Mac Mini and iMac, 2 printers and file cabinets for saved paperwork. We think seriously before we make any purchases.

It is an emotional experience getting rid of a lot of things that are not needed in a facility such as where we live. I recommend to anyone that they start purging things early on to make the job easier. LyleH
Date: October 20, 2017 11:51AM
GeneL
I now have an expiration date

Think positive thoughts, Gene, and as always, be well.

It is what it is.
Date: October 20, 2017 11:54AM
LyleH
It is an emotional experience getting rid of a lot of things that are not needed in a facility such as where we live. I recommend to anyone that they start purging things early on to make the job easier. LyleH

Absolutely. Getting rid of most/all of one's stuff all at once can be overwhelming and traumatic.

It is what it is.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 20, 2017 01:47PM
decay
I'm 51 and looking around the house, attic, and garage, I need to get started on this, too.

My wife and I are the same age. What we are doing is getting the basement ready for Air B&B. Even if we never lease it out, the place looks SO much better now that we are decluttering it!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 288
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015