advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How old is your flatscreen TV?
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 19, 2017 10:27PM
Just stumbled across a receipt for our 32" Olevia, a Target short-lived house brand. Ten years old next month, still going strong (wait...did I just hear a pop?) It replaced a 21" glass tube that was at least 18 years old that was working fine but finally obsolete. It was that watershed moment when OTA signals went digital and I bet a lot of us went flatscreen during the transition.

How is yours holding up?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How old is your flatscreen TV?
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 19, 2017 10:46PM
LG 42 inch 720 px released in 2008...so going on it's 10th year?

We just took it off the wall for the first time to paint this week and I mentioned the possibility of upgrading. Mrs Markintosh thinks this one is just fine. It's back on the wall now.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2017 10:47PM by Markintosh.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 19, 2017 10:47PM
Our first flatscreen was a panasonic plasma, did not quite last 7 years. Died 2 years ago.

We have a few others, our Vizios have been fine but they don't get that much daily use.
Posted by: Microman
Date: October 19, 2017 11:18PM
Take them apart, and you can see how simple they are. 4 or 5 boards.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 19, 2017 11:19PM
37" LG, 7 years old back in August.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 19, 2017 11:27PM
No joke, we switched from a tube to lcd only a year ago (yeah, we don't watch much tv, plus we have a projector for movies).
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 19, 2017 11:37PM
Just passed 8 years on my Craigslist special Sony 55". One of the first with a full array, local dimming LED backlight. Got it for half-price b/c the installer scuffed up the acrylic casing. I think the speakers might have died (don't care since I use a receiver and 5.1 set-up) and maybe one of the digital video features (had to turn something off b/c I was getting a lot of artifacts). I've surpassed my $1/day threshold for how long a TV should last so maybe one of these days I'll get an OLED, but I really want the 77" versions to drop in price...
Posted by: steve...
Date: October 19, 2017 11:38PM
I inherited my brother's 26" flatscreen CRT Samsung 11 years ago - don't know how old it was then. The picture is still good but the sound craps out every once in awhile. A tap to the side usually fixes the problem.

Most of my TV viewing is on my iMac's second display.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Carm
Date: October 19, 2017 11:46PM
My oldest is an LG 50" 720p plasma from Circuit City. I think it's from 2008. Heavy beast survived two rentals moves and three homes. Up in the office for when the 14 year old wants to watch tv on the AppleTV or Firestick

Edit: last two, LG 65" from Costco $9xx, got at Christmas last year. Also a 42" RCA from BestBuy for like $2xx for restroom. For "bath time" gotta keep the wife happy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2017 11:52PM by Carm.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 19, 2017 11:49PM
Ive got a 32" olevia, think I got it as best buy? or circut city? But not target.

Its at least 6" thick, and weighs more than my new 55" TCL 4K screen... and still worked the last time I hooked it up...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: maco
Date: October 20, 2017 12:23AM
55" Vizio 6 or 7 years old. I have 16 year old 27" Sony Trinitron CRT TV in my bedroom, it still works fine.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: October 20, 2017 04:02AM
My 12 year old Sony KDF-E42A10 42-Inch LCD Rear Projection Television is still used almost daily and is working fine. I had to install a new bulb ($60) about 2 years ago. When I bought the TV, saw many reviews saying it was a good TV, but the bulb would only last 3-5 years and the bulb cost was $250. My bulb lasted 10 years.
Posted by: tenders
Date: October 20, 2017 06:23AM
46" Samsung, will be 8 years old in November. It was an absurdly huge upgrade from the 27" CRT TV it replaced, of late 1980s vintage, which is still in use in my MIL's kitchen.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 20, 2017 06:25AM
First HDTV was a 42" (fake 720p) Panasonic plasma from Costco in 2008 for the basement man cave.

It replaced a still working (manufactured June 1980) 25" GE console CRT TV.

Replaced that HDTV with a 50" (1080p) Panasonic plasma in 2011.

Old 42" now at our extended family's mountain cabin.

Added a 32" (720p) Toshiba to the living room in 2010 when the CRT TV's tuner died.

Paid about $200 to have the 50" plasma repaired a couple of years ago (Y-sustain issue)

The guy said new HDTVs are down to as few as 3 boards.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2017 06:28AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: riley5108
Date: October 20, 2017 07:10AM
Have 2 Samsung 32" LCD (720p) both 11 years old bought on sale in the $290 range + or - both used in bedrooms. One 55" LG LED 5 years old $800 used daily, wife watches her programs.

Had a Samsung 42" LCD that crapped out just after the warranty ran out - could play DVD'S that looked great, however the TV picture had many shades of fuzzy colors and muffled scratchy sound.

All had/have great pictures, the key is getting the calibration viewing settings set correctly for your view conditions.

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town
Posted by: Fritz
Date: October 20, 2017 07:13AM
2x sharp aquos 32". just passed 10. both needed the exact same resistor in the ps replaced.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

The Howlin Souls - [goo.gl]
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: October 20, 2017 07:37AM
First on is over 13 years old, screen flat as pancake, body about 20" deep though.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 20, 2017 08:24AM
All you rich people with your fancy flat screen TVs!

I bet they are color TVs as well!

Hey, when are those Beetles gonna be on Ed Sullivan again?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: October 20, 2017 08:39AM
Lux Interior
Hey, when are those Beetles gonna be on Ed Sullivan again?

every night on decades from 11p to midnight. 2.2 in the NY area.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

The Howlin Souls - [goo.gl]
Posted by: tronnei
Date: October 20, 2017 08:42AM
42" 1080p LG from Newegg, $766, December 2009.

32" 720p Vizio from Costco purchased the same month; don't recall the exact price, but it was $300-something.

Both still in service and performing well.
Posted by: Gilbert
Date: October 20, 2017 09:01AM
Oldest one in the house is a 50" Vizio 720P Plasma that came bundled with a wireless surround sound system. Bought it 9.5 years ago and it is still working great. Would be nice to replace it, but it keeps going strong.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 20, 2017 10:08AM
46" Samsung from CIRCUIT CITY. smiley-excited001

c. 2007 I think., so 10 years now.

I had to replace the T-con board once but it's been solid ever since. (Aside from the most bizarre issue where watching OTA olympics last summer the whole TV would shut down. I never figured that one out.)
Posted by: LyleH
Date: October 20, 2017 10:57AM
First 50" Panasonic HDTV "720" flat screen from Costco used for 5 years, then gave it to a friend - then got a Panasonic Smart HDTV 55" 1080p for the higher resolution and a larger screen. It's been in use for 5 years and still works great. LyleH
Posted by: DavidS
Date: October 20, 2017 11:19AM
37" and 46" HDTV will be 8 years old in November (bought them on Black Friday after moving in to our last house).

65" 4K HDTV will be 2 years old this coming Black Friday (bought after our most recent move). All are working fine.

The 46" gets the most daily use. The 37" the least (it's now in the "exercise" room).

I also have a 65" HDTV that is a rear projection, not a flat screen. It is 10 1/2 years old and seems to be working fine. I was waiting for it to die before buying a 4K HDTV but gave up and moved it to the kid's play room when we bought our new house.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 20, 2017 11:36AM
8 year this November
Posted by: p8712
Date: October 20, 2017 11:39AM
'08 50" Samsung LED DLP. 1080p and still runs great.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 20, 2017 11:43AM
The Panny 50" plasma I purchased in 2005 is still in service with a good friend who bought it from me when I purchased my current Panny 65" plasma in 2011. Never a lick of trouble from either one.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 20, 2017 11:49AM
9 years old. My 1986 26" Mitsubishi CRT died in 2006 and I used my Dell 2405 for a year before I got a 52" Toshiba. The 52" uses only a little more power than the 24" Dell, but the Dell does have more pixels...

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: October 20, 2017 12:24PM
We bought a Panasonic plasma in 2011. When it dies, I don't know if we'll bother replacing it. It has probably been used twice in the past two months.
Posted by: wurm
Date: October 20, 2017 12:33PM
From a post here on the forum in November of 2007: last week grabbed a 42" LCD 1080p Olevia for $650 at Sears.

So it looks like it's coming up on 10 years of service. (and why do I think I shouldn't have just written that?)
Posted by: troywellbuilt
Date: October 20, 2017 12:43PM
I paid $1000 for a 32" Sony back in '06. Still plays, but the picture on a cheap Insignia is better.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: October 20, 2017 01:39PM
2002 Sony 34" VEGA HD CRT... The last of the great beasts! I repaired a problem on one of the circuit boards at Christmas time 2 years ago and its still going strong!

I'm holding out for OLED

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 20, 2017 01:45PM
Harbourmaster
2002 Sony 34" VEGA HD CRT... The last of the great beasts! I repaired a problem on one of the circuit boards at Christmas time 2 years ago and its still going strong!

I'm holding out for OLED

Our next TV will be 4k/HDR/OLED for sure.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: October 20, 2017 01:54PM
Upstairs we have a Sony Bravia flat screen from 2008. Downstairs we gots the OLED from last Christmas (1 year old).
Posted by: bfd
Date: October 20, 2017 03:42PM
At least 10, maybe 11. Plasma lasts a long time, apparently
Date: October 20, 2017 03:50PM
sekker
Harbourmaster

I'm holding out for OLED

Our next TV will be 4k/HDR/OLED for sure.

Same here - the only question is "when." Hard to justify buying an OLED now, given how much I paid for my current TV, how good it still looks, and how expensive OLED still is. Still...

...a few weeks ago I attended an AV industry trade show for work and got to see some sweet 4K content displayed on an LG 4K DolbyVision HDR OLED consumer-grade display. Holy @#$%&, did it look amazing.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: October 20, 2017 04:23PM
My original 2005 Panasonic 50" plasma is still going strong, although it's now our second (basement) TV. Picked up a 55" Panny plasma the last year they were available (for a sixth the price of the original), and plan to keep both of them until further notice.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: October 20, 2017 04:35PM
The Panasonic G10-series plasma is 8 years old.
The LG UHD LCD (LED backlit) is 1 week old

The Panasonic can definitely hold its own against the newest OLED sets…
Date: October 20, 2017 05:11PM
Article Accelerator
The Panasonic can definitely hold its own against the newest OLED sets…

With the right source material, the HDR OLED would absolutely blow away the plasma. Of course, 4K HDR content is still pretty scarce, which makes the task of holding off on OLED easier to bear.

It is what it is.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 20, 2017 07:42PM
Will Collier
My original 2005 Panasonic 50" plasma is still going strong, although it's now our second (basement) TV. Picked up a 55" Panny plasma the last year they were available (for a sixth the price of the original), and plan to keep both of them until further notice.

where did you find a Panny Plasma last year (2016)?
Posted by: rz
Date: October 20, 2017 07:53PM
Forrest
My 12 year old Sony KDF-E42A10 42-Inch LCD Rear Projection Television is still used almost daily and is working fine. I had to install a new bulb ($60) about 2 years ago. When I bought the TV, saw many reviews saying it was a good TV, but the bulb would only last 3-5 years and the bulb cost was $250. My bulb lasted 10 years.

I'm pretty sure that was the model of our first flat screen, bought at Circuit City in 2005. I think we paid around $1,500 for it. Ours developed a weird splotching problem that was apparently common in those models. That was probably 5 or 6 years ago, so it lasted about 6 years. We sold it to someone who wanted a super cheap tv for his workout room and didn't care if the picture was off. We have 3 flat screens now, a 42" LG, a 42" Samsung and a 39" Vizio. The newest is maybe 5 years old. I may upgrade the one in my man-cave to a 4K TV this year, but I don't really watch a lot of TV.
Posted by: davester
Date: October 20, 2017 10:28PM
At least 10 years. We have a 46" Panny plasma that our neighbor was giving away for free so that they could get an even bigger TV. Although we hardly ever watch TV we snagged it and use it about once a month to watch a Blueray movie. Other than that, it just sits in our guest room, unused.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: October 21, 2017 07:29AM
space-time
Will Collier

where did you find a Panny Plasma last year (2016)?

Not "last year," "the last year they were available" as new units in stores, which was 2013. Got a steal at Costco.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 21, 2017 07:03PM
1995 Magnavox 27" flat tube CRT. Has SmartSound, to normalize the volume, and clamp down on overly loud noises and commercials.

Why doesn't anyone build that sort of thing into their products anymore?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 238
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015