advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
sweet 16?!.....16 years ago the original iPod was unveiled....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 23, 2017 11:51AM
....now it is basically dead [ Apple only has one model and hasn't updated it in some time. Will probably discontinue soon. ]......except in the movie 'Baby Driver'.......and the 'seamless' interface with iTunes is no longer 'seamless'.....

16 Years Ago Today, Apple Unveiled the Original iPod

....Today marks the 16th anniversary of the debut of the first iPod, which was introduced by Apple on October 23, 2001. Then Apple CEO Steve Jobs stood on stage at the Apple Town Hall in Cupertino and showed off a device that could fit in a pocket but hold an entire music library.

The first-generation iPod, which Apple advertised with the tagline "1,000 songs in your pocket," was a rectangle-shaped device with a 5GB 1.8-inch hard drive capable of holding 1,000 songs.

It featured a black and white LCD and the first click wheel, a mechanical scrolling interface that let users quickly and conveniently scroll through long lists of music. The click wheel also included easy access buttons for playing, pausing, rewinding, and fast forwarding through music content. The first iPod's battery lasted for up to 10 hours before needing to be recharged, and the device was priced at $399.

When Steve Jobs introduced the iPod, he called it a quantum leap forward and outlined three major breakthroughs: ultra-portability, Apple's legendary ease of use, and auto-sync with iTunes.

iPod is an MP3 music player, has CD quality music, and it plays all of the popular formats of open music. The biggest thing about iPod is that it holds a thousand songs. Now this is a quantum leap because for most people, it's their entire music library. This is huge. How many times have you gone on the road with a CD player and said 'Oh God, I didn't bring the CD I wanted to listen to.' To have your whole music library with you at all times is a quantum leap in listening to music. The coolest thing about iPod is that your whole music library fits right in your pocket. Never before possible.

New versions of the iPod were released on a yearly basis following the launch of the original device, and other notable launches included the iPod Photo in 2004, which had the first color display, the smaller iPod mini in 2004, the tiny iPod nano in 2005, the even smaller iPod Shuffle, also in 2005, and the first iPod touch, which came out in 2007 following the launch of the iPhone.

Today, the iPhone, unveiled six years after the iPod, has largely replaced Apple's original music device. The iPhone does everything the iPod did and more, and has served as an iPod replacement since its debut.

Over the course of the last 16 years, Apple has stayed at the forefront of music technology with the debut of Apple Music, a streaming music service that now has more than 30 million paid subscribers.

Apple retired the iPod nano and the iPod shuffle in July of 2017, and now the iPod touch is the sole remaining iPod the company has for sale. The iPod touch was last updated in July of 2015 and it is not clear if the product will see additional updates in the future.

years gone by..............?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2017 12:09PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: sweet 16?!.....16 years ago the original iPod was unveiled....
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: October 23, 2017 11:53AM
Strange to realize that it has been 16 years since the first one.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: October 23, 2017 12:04PM
We're getting older, that vortex of time is sucking at us faster.
Posted by: iaJim
Date: October 23, 2017 12:08PM
I ordered mine right away, and it is still working just fine. I don't use it often, but it works.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 23, 2017 12:21PM
Apple went from the original iPod to the iPhone & Touch in six years.. in that time it went from multi-touch, to clickwheel, to touchscreen. In the 11 years since then, the form factor and operation of the iPhone & Touch is essentially unchanged.

So much for innovation.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: rz
Date: October 23, 2017 01:12PM
Ombligo
Apple went from the original iPod to the iPhone & Touch in six years.. in that time it went from multi-touch, to clickwheel, to touchscreen. In the 11 years since then, the form factor and operation of the iPhone & Touch is essentially unchanged.

So much for innovation.

Or maybe they pretty much perfected it, and there's no need to change it.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: October 23, 2017 01:24PM
That first iPod did not have a click wheel. Later models did but the first one has a scroll wheel surrounded by separate buttons. Click wheel came to the iPod after being introduced on the iPod Mini.
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: October 23, 2017 03:16PM
For me the iPod saved music for me.
When the iPod came out I was looking at other MP3 players and at a one of those CD players that held 100+ CDs.
I wanted something to randomly play music, but I din't want to wait between songs of rah big CD player to change discs.
The various MP3 players were ok, but seemed hard to use.
Apple hit it out of the park. I remember walking into FirstTech (independent Mac Store by my Condo).
Asked if they had one. Played with it for a minute and said I only have one question. Do you have any in stock? They did. Out came my credit card.

I still love the "iPod" part of my phone. I probably use that the most. I don't like streaming. I like listening to my music.

Thanks for iPod Apple.

Steve
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 23, 2017 03:57PM
Now they just need to fix the music app to make it usable again.

Like, how about getting rid of nag messages trying to get you to login in to the iTunes store and other such nonsense.
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 23, 2017 04:24PM
I wish Apple would stop "improving" iTunes..... sad smiley
Posted by: bfd
Date: October 23, 2017 05:04PM
And within minutes of unboxing, those with a firewire and a bit of a larcenous streak were sucking down beaucoup programs from Macs at their local Comp USA and the Apple Store.

LOL
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 23, 2017 05:08PM
iaJim
I ordered mine right away, and it is still working just fine. I don't use it often, but it works.

Did you know that original iPod *boxes* are selling for (yes, selling for, not just listed at) up to $150 on eBay now?

A functioning original iPod with original packing has gone for as much as $510 lately (although I'm not quite sure why - they usually go for less).

I'm prolly gonna buff mine up, put it back in the box (glad I saved that!) and sell leading into Xmas. It's not a museum-quality unit (although it still works fine) and the Firewire interface will be harder and harder to deal with.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: October 23, 2017 05:29PM
My original 5GB unit still works fine directly connected to a 2012 Mini using a FW400-FW800 port. More adapters necessary for more modern Macs.

I even have a replacement NewerTech battery but LiIon batteries supposedly go bad in the packaging over time and it's sat for at least 5 years now. That's probably as dead as the (already replaced once) internal battery.
Date: October 23, 2017 05:34PM
When the iPod Classic was discontinued, I went around and bought them all up from my local Walmarts and Targets. Flipped them all within a month for $500-$600 each. At the time I was worried I sold them too soon, but now I see the prices have dropped. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 23, 2017 07:52PM
Carnos, what was the retail on those?

I still have two originals laying about that I bought as refurbs a year later. I believe I still have the boxes, too.

Would you save it, sell now or wait and sell?
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 23, 2017 08:05PM
Happy birthday, wish you had made it old enough to vote!

Keep in mind that in the first 6 years, Apple ALSO invented the iPad. The iPhone came AFTER the iPad.

Apple launched the iPhone before the iPad because of the value proposition.

There may never be a similar time of tech innovation again as the time when Steve Jobs thought any day he woke up could be his last, and he was still deeply functional.
Date: October 23, 2017 08:07PM
Not sure what you can currently get for them man, but back then I think retail was $250 (maybe even $200 on clearance). I would normally have said wait and see, as time usually causes the prices of these things to grow. But the trend seems to be going down, so maybe sell them sooner than later if you can.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 23, 2017 08:13PM
....supposedly there is 'nostalgia' for the older models now.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 23, 2017 11:41PM
NewtonMP2100
....supposedly there is 'nostalgia' for the older models now.......

I think that people swap out the hard drives in the Classic iPods with flash drives.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 24, 2017 06:44AM
When I whip out my 5gb, all the millennials go nuts.
Posted by: digby
Date: October 24, 2017 08:47AM
Yeah, my millennial kids think it's hilarious that I'm still carrying around an iPod (got a Mini and two Nanos).

But my "newer" one (5th gen Nano) has more room for music and audiobooks than my phone... and a radio!
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 24, 2017 08:28PM
Our iPods are all museum pieces. The last time I used one was when my wife's iPhone was flaky, and she wanted some portable music.

The rest are just gathering dust.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 25, 2017 07:54AM
I was pleased to discover last year that my new car had a USB connection for its audio system, and that system completely recognizes my old iPod 5th Generation; allowing full control of the iPod from the car’s dashboard touchscreen. woot smiley
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 25, 2017 08:51AM
DeusxMac
I was pleased to discover last year that my new car had a USB connection for its audio system, and that system completely recognizes my old iPod 5th Generation; allowing full control of the iPod from the car’s dashboard touchscreen. woot smiley

Same here. My iPod Classic 5th Generation currently serves as the jukebox in my QX70.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 194
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020