Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need to override activation lock on iPhone
Posted by: dmag
Date: October 24, 2017 10:53PM
Hi,

My sister just gave my kid an iPhone 5 as she upgraded. She's on a plane right now and I'm trying to get it to work, but I'm blocked by the activation lock as the phone is linked to her Apple ID.

Is there any way to change the Apple ID to mine, or am I stuck, having to wait until she touches down so I can get her Apple ID — or do I have to do a factory reset on this phone to erase her info and start over?

Thanks for any help.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2017 10:54PM by dmag.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need to override activation lock on iPhone
Posted by: Carm
Date: October 25, 2017 02:28AM
You stuck until you get her password to unlock it. That's the iCloud lock. You can reset , erase and clear contents after you unlock the phone. Then set it up as a new phone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2017 02:30AM by Carm.
Date: October 25, 2017 03:01AM
Thanks for the info. I'll relay the bad news to the phone's new owner. Not going to be a happy camper. Oh well.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 25, 2017 03:58AM
Your sister can do the unlock from her end if she has an internet connection. Choose the particular poison you require:

[support.apple.com]

[support.apple.com]

[support.apple.com]

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: October 25, 2017 04:08AM
Yeah, just got to get her on the ground to do it. On an international flight. Thanks for the info.
Posted by: evilrobot
Date: October 25, 2017 08:44AM
Lastly, an activation lock can be overridden in a store by a manager if you can produce the original receipt.

A factory reset was mentioned earlier in the thread - this won't work. In fact it was designed to defeat that actual practice.
Date: October 25, 2017 08:48AM
evilrobot
Lastly, an activation lock can be overridden in a store by a manager if you can produce the original receipt.

A factory reset was mentioned earlier in the thread - this won't work. In fact it was designed to defeat that actual practice.

Thanks, good to know. That saved me some trouble.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 25, 2017 02:17PM
evilrobot

You sure about that?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: evilrobot
Date: October 25, 2017 02:49PM
Yes, a factory reset (aka DFU reset) won't clear your activation lock. If it was possible, it would make stealing an iPhone a piece of cake (as well as easing the lines at the Apple store for people that have forgotten their Apple ID/password)

If you dig around, there are some overseas vendors that claim to be able to defeat the activation lock if you really want to go that route.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2017 02:52PM by evilrobot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 172
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018