advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Kindle question
Posted by: DP
Date: October 25, 2017 06:44AM
I'm thinking of trading in my Kindle Keyboard for a Paperwhite. Can I back up my K to my computer to save my books? I ask because I had an upgrade and in the process I seemed to have lost a couple of books. I called Amazon and they said sorry, they had no record of me owning those books!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Kindle question
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: October 25, 2017 07:25AM
Been a while since I used an actual Kindle, but I remember hooking it up to my Mac some years ago (USB --> micro (?) USB); it mounted like a drive and I was able to just pull all the books into a folder as a backup measure.

I still have my Kindle library, per se, via the app on my iPad, as well as iBooks (where I started buying most of my books some years ago as I got tired of the poor formatting many of the books I bought; the ability for epub import on iBooks also was a big plus).

Posted by: numbered
Date: October 25, 2017 09:12AM
There is a nice piece of software called Calibre for managing books on Kindle and other devices. You can load up your library on Calibre and then port things around as you please. There are also some plugins to remove DRM that are not official, but I have found them flakey.

Amazon has started using a new file format for kindle downloads to slow down software like Calibre. The older and better file type is still available from the Amazon site under "Manage your Content and Devices" > USB download.

If you have books from sources other than Amazon, Calibre is a great resource. (I won't make the reference to the music and everything else software that Apple uses to manage media. I do not want to trigger our fellow phorumites.)
Posted by: beagledave
Date: October 25, 2017 02:06PM
Another vote for Calibre. Works quite well.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 25, 2017 07:13PM
Calibre works great.

And you will like the Paperwhite! It's quite an improvement to have backlighting in my experience.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 205
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015