advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Where can one find Sierra 10.12 (not high Sierra)
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: October 25, 2017 09:05AM
Helping a friend update from 10.10x and suggesting he only upgrade to 10.12x (Sierra) for now.

Anyone know where we can find that? App Store only is showing High Sierra.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32G RAM High Sierra 10.13.4x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Where can one find Sierra 10.12 (not high Sierra)
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 25, 2017 09:24AM
PM me
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 25, 2017 09:29AM
Apple says that you can still download 10.12 Sierra using the link they provide in this article.

[support.apple.com]

This is the link that should get it for you in the Mac App store.

[itunes.apple.com]

If you don't want or have hardware that can't run Sierra, you can also get 10.11 El Capitan using similar methods.

[support.apple.com]

[itunes.apple.com]
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: October 25, 2017 09:32AM
Man, I looked all over tarnation for that link, GGD. Thank you, much appreciated.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32G RAM High Sierra 10.13.4x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: tortoise
Date: October 25, 2017 10:48AM
tuqqer
Man, I looked all over tarnation for that link, GGD. Thank you, much appreciated.

agree smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2017 10:48AM by tortoise.
Posted by: riley5108
Date: October 25, 2017 10:57AM
GGD,

I've got those, but I'll thank you for the links and for all those who do not.

From what I've read here, there are a number wondering where to find that information. It might deserve its own Topic -- of course that's up to you.

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2017 10:58AM by riley5108.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 25, 2017 11:31AM
I just helped a fellow MRF last week. He told me which USB flash drive to buy from Amazon. I bought it ($10), made a USB installer and mailed it to him ($2.61). If that link was known earlier, it would have saves us the trouble and hassle.

I offered to help the OP before the link was posted.

Thanks again for the link.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 25, 2017 11:41AM
tuqqer

Well, there's your problem! The link isn't located in tarnation - it'slocated in BFE!

It is what it is.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 25, 2017 12:16PM
Maybe this should be a sticky...
Posted by: Bo
Date: October 25, 2017 02:02PM
Thanks for this!

I have a 2012 iMac running Yosemite 10.10.5 and would like to update to Sierra (not High Sierra)

Do I have to update to El Cap 10.11 before I update to Sierra 10.12? Or can I just jump straight to Sierra?

GGD's first link seems to imply that I need to take the intermediate step.
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 25, 2017 02:07PM
Bo
Thanks for this!

I have a 2012 iMac running Yosemite 10.10.5 and would like to update to Sierra (not High Sierra)

Do I have to update to El Cap 10.11 before I update to Sierra 10.12? Or can I just jump straight to Sierra?

As far as I know, the only time you need to get El Cap first is if you're currently running Snowleopard. The Sierra "app" requires 10.7 or later, so the App Store won't let you download it if you're running 10.6 (or if you're running on hardware that can't run Sierra).
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: October 25, 2017 02:20PM
Curious about something...

I have downloaded on my Software Server several of the latest versions of OS X software, along with their latest respective Combo Updaters. I know I can use them to take any of my computers back to a previous version if I needed to.

Question...
If someone I know is looking for a previous version of the software, can they use the one I downloaded? Or, are my Installers tagged to only work with my hardware (e.g., tagged with iTunes Apple ID? or, iCloud Apple ID?)
Posted by: Bo
Date: October 25, 2017 03:00PM
GGD
Bo
Thanks for this!

As far as I know, the only time you need to get El Cap first is if you're currently running Snowleopard. The Sierra "app" requires 10.7 or later, so the App Store won't let you download it if you're running 10.6 (or if you're running on hardware that can't run Sierra).

Great...that's what I was hoping for. Clicking through to the app store, I'm just now seeing the requirements listed there for getting to Sierra are 10.7.5 or later which seems to corroborate your take on it. Thanks
Posted by: ArtP
Date: October 25, 2017 06:34PM
GGD
If you don't want or have hardware that can't run Sierra, you can also get 10.11 El Capitan using similar methods.

[support.apple.com]

[itunes.apple.com]

Hmmm, I was hoping to get access since I missed a few of these when they were available. Apparently if you have "purchased": them before the will "always" be avaiilable in "your" App store.

The Mac I am on is running 10.9.5 but that installer requires 10.7.5

Wonder if there is a link to get the full install instead of the Leopard or Snow Leopard upgrade?
Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 25, 2017 07:20PM
Just thought I'd mention that those for whom time is more valuable and don't mind spending a few bucks can buy a USB drive installer for any version of Mac OS through ebay for $10-$15.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 221
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015