advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do you trust your anti-virus software?
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 25, 2017 06:39PM
I'm running a check on my Mac this very second.

What do you think of yours?

Great article.

[www.theverge.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do you trust your anti-virus software?
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: October 25, 2017 06:52PM
Not using any. I have run MalwareBytes a couple of times.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 25, 2017 07:06PM
Anti-virus software? Wat dat?

It is what it is.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 25, 2017 07:09PM
ka jowct

That's what I was running. What do you really know about that vendor?!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 25, 2017 07:12PM
I run both Malwarebytes and EtreCheck. The only thing have ever found is when Mackeeper got by me one time.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 25, 2017 07:20PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Anti-virus software? Wat dat?

This, X20, one for each year we have this discussion (since dealmac) and it ends up the with the same conclusion... we dont need no stinkin' badges

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2017 07:22PM by jdc.
Posted by: gabester
Date: October 25, 2017 07:27PM
I don't trust my anti-virus software.
I don't trust my web browser.
I don't trust my virtualization software.

I do trust the bits on that DVD from 6 years ago cannot be altered. And I use it to reinstall as frequently as I feel is warranted.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 25, 2017 07:41PM
gabester
I do trust the bits on that DVD from 6 years ago cannot be altered. ...

are you 100% positive about that? I mean isn't there a way, any way, for someone one like NSA or FBI to come up with some software that could modify a DVD? there is always some unused space on DVD, and with clever manipulating, they could maybe re-map some sectors to the free space where they can write their own code.

remember, NSA or CIA was able to install their spying software in Hard Drive Firmware, seriously, that is how deep they go. even a nuke and pave of the OS cannot remove that from drive firmware.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: October 25, 2017 08:02PM
At work IT has installed Sophos on our Macs. It's awful--often it seems to slow the system to a crawl when updating, frequently forcing a restart. Otherwise, it has never found anything suspicious.
Posted by: rz
Date: October 25, 2017 08:55PM
Yeah, I don't run any anti-virus software, other than trying Malwarebytes once. I don't visit any "suspect" sites, so I think I'm ok. My sister in law had Norton on her MBP, and asked me why her machine had gotten so slow. I googled on how to remove every part of Norton from her machine. She hasn't complained about the speed since then.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 25, 2017 09:24PM
Getting a virus isn't the big problem for most of us, it's the "flash update" that our husbands/wives/children/parents seem to get. It used to be about once a month that people would find browser exploits, but I haven't noticed a post about it in a few months.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 25, 2017 09:24PM
I irregularly use the function built into Drive Genius 5.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: October 25, 2017 11:39PM
sekker
Do you trust your anti-virus software?

Yes. It's called macOS.
Posted by: STL
Date: October 26, 2017 06:03AM
Anti-virus software?
Never had any such software.
Never had any issues.
Date: October 26, 2017 06:04AM
sekker
ka jowct

The original developer is a long-time contributor to Apple’s user discussions. It was called Adware Medic. I don’t know if he is working with the app since the MalwareBytes company acquired it.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: October 26, 2017 06:45AM
ka jowct
sekker
ka jowct

The original developer is a long-time contributor to Apple’s user discussions. It was called Adware Medic. I don’t know if he is working with the app since the MalwareBytes company acquired it.

I don't think that he is.

The latest branded-update to the app scatters many components of undisclosed purpose throughout the deep-dark corners of the OS.

No reputable utility does that. Malware behaves like that. I can no longer recommend MalwareBytes.

If you have the old version of the software, it'll still work for awhile and will probably catch most of the malware/adware out there for awhile. If you've installed the new version then I suggest using EasyFind to scavenge your drive for the components and remove them.

Posted by: JEBB
Date: October 26, 2017 09:35AM
Viruses are only a Windows problem. They are not a problem for macOS or Linux Mint or related distributions.
Date: October 26, 2017 09:35AM
Onamuji
ka jowct
sekker
ka jowct

The original developer is a long-time contributor to Apple’s user dihscussions. It was called Adware Medic. I don’t know if he is working with the app since the MalwareBytes company acquired it.

I don't think that he is.

The latest branded-update to the app scatters many components of undisclosed purpose throughout the deep-dark corners of the OS.

No reputable utility does that. Malware behaves like that. I can no longer recommend MalwareBytes.

If you have the old version of the software, it'll still work for awhile and will probably catch most of the malware/adware out there for awhile. If you've installed the new version then I suggest using EasyFind to scavenge your drive for the components and remove them.

Yeah, I have seen some complaints about the latest version’s intrusiveness. Too bad, because it was good. EtreCheck is still in the hands of its developer, and seems to have some good capabilities. But it isn’t primarily an anti-malware tool.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 26, 2017 10:33AM
zeppo2
At work IT has installed Sophos on our Macs. It's awful--often it seems to slow the system to a crawl when updating, frequently forcing a restart. Otherwise, it has never found anything suspicious.

I used to use the Sophos Home version, but recently removed it from my Mac's. At some point they introduced a memory leak that starts using up memory, I have seen it grow to take up over 1 GB. Once it does that, network connections slow and other activities as well.

As for finding anything, it has prevented the download of some infected content and connections to some sites with malware. But a good portion of that was Windows specific.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 26, 2017 02:03PM
JoeH
As for finding anything, it has prevented the download of some infected content and connections to some sites with malware. But a good portion of that It was ALL Windows specific.

FTFY. ;)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 27, 2017 02:10AM
jdc
JoeH
As for finding anything, it has prevented the download of some infected content and connections to some sites with malware. But a good portion of that It was ALL Windows specific.

FTFY. ;)

You can stick your head in the sand all you want, but not all of the stuff blocked was Windows specific. You "FIXED" absolutely nothing in my statement.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 250
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018