advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Which self-balanceing scooter should I buy?
Posted by: MacJeepster
Date: October 27, 2017 09:13AM
A few weeks ago I bought a Ninebot MinPRO (made by the same company that makes its big cousin, the Segway). I've been practicing in empty parking lots, will eventually use it in public, because I I don't walk very well these days.
Yesterday, I felt confident enough to start riding on the sidewalk in my neighborhood.
It didn't go well.
Many of the sidewalk blocks are uneven, and when I went slowly over them, I pitched forward and back. Finally, it pitched me off and I came crashing down to the concrete - my first fall.
I've lost confidence in it; I feel the wheels are just too small.
Amazon has agreed to take it back and refund all my money. They've even given me a label and will pay for shipping. (Yay Amazon!).
I haven't given up, though.
I now plan to get a scooter with larger wheels. I assume that larger wheels mean more stability, but also more weight (I have to lift this out of my trunk and lug it up a half-flight of stairs in my house).
I'm considering:
-An Airwheel S3,
-An Airwheel S5, or
-A used full-size Segway.
It would be very grateful for your opinion or any experience you would share with any of these.
Thanks in advance.

-mj
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Which self-balanceing scooter should I buy?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 27, 2017 09:36AM
My personal take is that if you have trouble walking, you probably have trouble standing and balancing for long periods of time. And that makes stabilized single axle devices troublesome.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 27, 2017 09:41AM
....and if you fall on those things.....the damage can be more severe, especially if one is older in age......best to get something with a seat that doesn't require 'balancing'......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: DP
Date: October 27, 2017 10:06AM
What belty and Newt said. How about a motorized bicycle or a Vespa?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: October 27, 2017 11:39AM
My wife and son tried out the Segway at the OKC Science Museum last weekend; both said it was a lot of fun once you got the hang of it.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 27, 2017 12:24PM
Just go fast and you won't tip over. This is something I learned in physics class.
Date: October 27, 2017 04:15PM
I apologize I didn't explain it better. In 2014 the Justice Department issued new guidelines for the Americans with Disabilities Act, saying people with disabilities can use alternate devices such a Segways of golf carts anywhere a wheelchair can go.
It's the law.
I wasn't looking at it as major transportation (I have a car for that), but instead in places like museums, festivals, concerts, malls, parks and the like.
People with disabilities are beginning to use them for these purposes across America.
Yes, I could get a 4-wheeled electric wheelchair, but since I can stand (and walk short distances), I prefer standing, rather than rolling around with my face at butt-level.

-mj
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 27, 2017 06:18PM
Did you consider adding a handelbar to it like a full segway?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: October 28, 2017 12:49PM
jdc
Did you consider adding a handelbar to it like a full segway?
Yeah. I installed aftermarket handlebars from the get-go and they did make ir at least seem more stable.
Google 'air wheel s3’ After years of not much happening, there are now lots of choices. Problem is many are new and don’t have a track record.

-mj
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 29, 2017 08:17AM
MacJeepster
I apologize I didn't explain it better. In 2014 the Justice Department issued new guidelines for the Americans with Disabilities Act, saying people with disabilities can use alternate devices such a Segways of golf carts anywhere a wheelchair can go.
It's the law.
I wasn't looking at it as major transportation (I have a car for that), but instead in places like museums, festivals, concerts, malls, parks and the like.
People with disabilities are beginning to use them for these purposes across America.
Yes, I could get a 4-wheeled electric wheelchair, but since I can stand (and walk short distances), I prefer standing, rather than rolling around with my face at butt-level.

I wonder if most public placed with ADA access are aware of this, or if the public is aware of this. I would imagine some people out there might look at you like you are trying to abuse the ADA system, if they are not aware of the new regulations.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: October 29, 2017 09:54AM
For you, the Segway Ninebot.

Ah crumbs!

Just revisited this thread and saw my glaring error...

Mis-read the OP somehow and thought you had gotten a completely different scooter. I guess your description threw me. In my limited experience, the Ninebot seems to deal with cracks in the sidewalk and stuff quite readily. It's the one that I'd get and the one that I recommend to others.

Sorry.

I can't suggest one that's better. All of the others I've tried have had major problems with sidewalks and potholes... and hills.

...Probably time to consider a full-size i2 SE if the bumps throw you.

Dealers often have refurbs with as much as 30% off vs new.

Got a place to stow it so you don't have to deal with the stairs?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2017 05:09PM by Onamuji.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 178
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020