advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New Shingles vaccine recommended
Posted by: numbered
Date: November 01, 2017 05:40PM
Get your new improved vaccine right here! More effective, longer lasting, good for old MRFers!

A bit more expensive, but looks like it is worth it. Getting shingles will mean really grumpy posts for us all to endure so see your doctor right away (or when the new jab makes it into the formulary for your friendly insurance carrier.)

Says Consumer Reports:

ACIP advised that Shingrix—a two-dose vaccine—be recommended for people starting at age 50, a full 10 years earlier than the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s advice for Zostavax. The committee also said that Shingrix should get preference over Zostavax, a one-shot vaccine, and that people who have already gotten Zostavax get Shingrix as well.

and

The Shingrix vaccine (whose two doses will likely be given at least eight weeks apart), according to clinical trials, offers 97 percent protection in people in their 50s and 60s and roughly 91 percent protection in those in their 70s and 80s. And it appeared to retain similarly high effectiveness throughout a four-year study period.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New Shingles vaccine recommended
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: November 01, 2017 06:10PM
Another option is to be exposed to chicken pox from time to time. At the very least, it's less expensive.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 01, 2017 06:14PM
Chicken pox is getting hard to find.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 06:14PM by Acer.
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 01, 2017 06:15PM
I saw that about the new vaccine. I like that it seems to be more effective than the older one.
Maybe I will get it next year.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: November 01, 2017 06:25PM
To the best of my knowledge, I've never had chicken pox. When my brother had it, he was COVERED in scabs. I was sick at the same time, but no scabs. He and I stayed home from school, slept in the same bed and watched cartoons for 3-5 days. I'd think that if I was ever going to get chicken pox that would have done it.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 01, 2017 06:29PM
M A V I C
Another option is to be exposed to chicken pox from time to time. At the very least, it's less expensive.

The problem is that the virus that causes chicken pox has a lysogenic cycle. In other words, once you've had chicken pox, the virus can go back to the lytic cycle since it now and forever exists as a plasmid in certain nerve cells. Your genetic code has essentially been modified...
Date: November 01, 2017 06:30PM
ztirffritz
To the best of my knowledge, I've never had chicken pox. When my brother had it, he was COVERED in scabs. I was sick at the same time, but no scabs. He and I stayed home from school, slept in the same bed and watched cartoons for 3-5 days. I'd think that if I was ever going to get chicken pox that would have done it.

Get a blood titer done to be sure.
Date: November 01, 2017 08:00PM
freeradical
M A V I C

The problem is that the virus that causes chicken pox has a lysogenic cycle. In other words, once you've had chicken pox, the virus can go back to the lytic cycle since it now and forever exists as a plasmid in certain nerve cells. Your genetic code has essentially been modified...

I'm not sure how your response relates. Are you disputing that exposure to chicken pox reduces or eliminates the chance of getting shingles?

Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 01, 2017 08:07PM
rgG
I saw that about the new vaccine. I like that it seems to be more effective than the older one.
Maybe I will get it next year.

I saw the numbers of the old vs the new version. Huge jump in efficacy, especially in the not having long lasting random nerve pain cropping up at random times.

I have prescriptions for famcyclovir, which is an anti-viral for cold sores (@#$%& simplex 1) I keep several doses here at home at all times, as it works somewhat for shingles. My hope is that if I suspect it is shingles, I can take 3 doses a day apart, and stomp the @#$%& zoster down before it can really take hold. And get to my doc asap as well. I have seen what it did to my grandmother, father, partner and her dad. No way I want to deal with that. Had chicken pox as a kid. Just waiting.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 08:10PM by Racer X.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: November 01, 2017 08:11PM
I was under the impression that if you never had chicken pox, you cannot get the shingles.

I have had both, darn it.

=wr=
Posted by: billb
Date: November 01, 2017 08:36PM
Interesting that the CDC claims a demonstration of efficacy of 90% rather than CR's 97%.

So 1 out of 10 will still get shingles, which they will claim may or may have helped minimize the effects for that 10 percent failure rate even though they have no absolute way of proving it.

Having had shingles I would heartily recommend for anyone with no tolerance for pain to get the vaccine and cross your fingers.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: November 01, 2017 08:41PM
I’m going to ask my doctor about it. I had the Zostavax vaccine probably 2 years ago but got shingles this summer anyway. Still have a patch of bumpy skin on my back that doesn’t hurt but occasionally itches. But fortunately no persistent nerve pain.
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 01, 2017 09:38PM
freeradical
ztirffritz

Get a blood titer done to be sure.

Yep. My mom exposed me to chickenpox intentionally when I was about 4, as a friend had it.
I never had the spots and never seemed to get sick. When my daughter was born I had a blood test to see if I had the CP antibodies so that I would know whether or not I could catch it, if she got it, as CP in an adult can be bad. The blood test showed that I did have the antibodies, so I must have had a very mild case with no real symptoms. So, as suggested, get tested.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: graylocks
Date: November 01, 2017 10:40PM
i've gotten the original vaccine and will ask my doctor when i see her later this month. however, i have two people in my life who have had serious bouts with shingles. is this new vaccine recommended if someone has already had shingles?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: November 01, 2017 10:51PM
billb
Interesting that the CDC claims a demonstration of efficacy of 90% rather than CR's 97%.

So 1 out of 10 will still get shingles, which they will claim may or may have helped minimize the effects for that 10 percent failure rate even though they have no absolute way of proving it.

Having had shingles I would heartily recommend for anyone with no tolerance for pain to get the vaccine and cross your fingers.

I wonder if the efficacy is calculated for just those over 60, for the entire population or a different demographic. That might explain the numbers. Currently about 7% of people over 60 get shingles in the US. So if the efficacy of the vaccine is only 90%, that means you're more likely to get shingles with the vaccine than not. Hopefully that's not the case.

Date: November 01, 2017 10:52PM
wave rider
I was under the impression that if you never had chicken pox, you cannot get the shingles.

I have had both, darn it.

You can't get shingles if you've never had chicken pox, but you can still get chicken pox regardless of age.

Posted by: GuyGene
Date: November 02, 2017 01:51AM
Oh me, I need this. Chicken pox at 18! I’ve had the other vaccine but will get this one too. I’m way too sick to have to deal with shingles also

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: riley5108
Date: November 02, 2017 06:32AM
Got the Zostavax vaccination in 2009 about the time I went on Medicare. However, Shingrix like Zostavax is not covered by Medicare, but falls under Medicate Part D. Since it is new, most doubtful anyone's Part D or other insurance has it on/in their formulary as covered. IIRC the Zostavax vaccine cost us about $30/each copay, our Part D at that time picked up about $200 of the cost.

Better check with your insurance first, Shingrix Vaccine maker GlaxoSmithKline estimates the Shingrix vaccinations will costs about $280 for two doses.

Have an appointment with my doctor in 2 weeks I'll discuss the issue with him.

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town
Posted by: vicrock
Date: November 02, 2017 08:38AM
Had the first shingles vaccination in 2008 - got mild shingles this summer - mild probably because of the vaccination and because I started antivirals in a timely manner. Doctor did suggest getting the new vaccine in one year
Posted by: DavidS
Date: November 02, 2017 10:39AM
I found this article to be a good summary of the new vaccine.

Shingrix FAQ
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 02, 2017 10:53AM
DavidS

Shingrix FAQ

Thanks!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: November 02, 2017 11:01AM
DavidS

Shingrix FAQ

I find it amazing how often any virus is described as "alive".

Unlike Shingrix, Zostavax contains live—although weakened—@#$%& zoster virus, so those with significantly weakened immune systems should not receive it. But because the new shingles vaccine contains a nonliving viral particle, it may ultimately be deemed appropriate for those with compromised immunity.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: November 02, 2017 12:17PM
billb

From CR: "97 percent protection in people in their 50s and 60s and roughly 91 percent protection in those in their 70s and 80s"

So it depends on your age.

Yup.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 02, 2017 12:40PM
"So it depends on your age."

More likely how robust your immune system is.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: November 02, 2017 03:01PM
After reading online posts from people still having daily pain from shingles outbreaks 10-15 years prior I am all for paying for this out-of-pocket the day I turn 50.

And $280 beats the $350 my county's health department currently charges for the older vaccine,

Anyone know when it will actually be available?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2017 03:02PM by Bill in NC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 223
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018