Posted by: billb
Date: November 04, 2017 07:33PM
a little black corolla or something
oh man that was weird.
surreal even
still
in a marked crosswalk
front of the car threw me into the windshield
feels like someone got a real good uppercut in on me.
The car and the college kid driving seem to be OK.

Finished my run. But the incident messed up my pace time.
13:40.
Blah.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: was Just hit by a car
Posted by: rob banzai
Date: November 04, 2017 07:36PM
I'm sorry to hear about that. I walk to work and have taken to wearing a bodycam due to so many close calls with motorists.

I'll see you again... when we are both like golden clouds on the wind.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 04, 2017 07:55PM
Are you freaking kidding? Boy, you better say more than just this? Are you hurt?
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 04, 2017 07:57PM
SUE!!!!
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 04, 2017 08:05PM
Did you arrest him later, or issue a belated citation for messing up your time?
==
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: November 04, 2017 08:16PM
So we agree, We're both glad you're ok

..be careful, man!
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 04, 2017 08:22PM
Are you OK???

Have you been injured? Have you seen a doctor?
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 04, 2017 08:40PM
Beware injuries that may not be evident until the adrenaline wears off.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 04, 2017 08:50PM
Dude ! Take care of yourself!
Date: November 04, 2017 08:54PM
Better half did a full inspection of my right side.
Just some skin missing on my right kneecap and a rug rash lookinng spot that might be black and blue tomorrow and a sore spot on my hip.
Chin might be black and blue tomorrow. Teeth were feeling like someone tried to rearrange them but that sensation is gone now.
Went down what has to have been the longest list of concussion symptoms I've ever heard.

Slid off the hood like I was poured out of a cup of coffee. That must have been momentum and him finally slamming on the brakes, I couldn't get up off the ground. Or didn't know how. Or something. That's the weird thing. Trying to pull myself to the curb with my forearms was weird. Then I guess I got my wits back and stood up and noticed all the people standing around. Lots of witnesses but everybody's OK.

Now I know what a deer feels like.

I was able to run a mile and a 1/4 after so I'm OK.

Long time since I've been in an acciden t I guess.

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Date: November 04, 2017 08:59PM
You run a mile after a hit like this? My half never run a mile in her life, LOL.
Date: November 04, 2017 08:59PM
testcase
SUE!!!!
LOl

yeah a college kid driving a pos. He did the right thing and I'm OK.
I suppose I could have tried to fake some pain and suffering. Not me.

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: November 04, 2017 09:11PM
Acer
Beware injuries that may not be evident until the adrenaline wears off.

This. Was he making a turn? That’s how a lot of pedestrians get hurt or killed here. I had one close call a couple years ago: came within a foot of being hit by a fool making a right turn too fast.

You will be feeling this tomorrow, I suspect.
Posted by: hal
Date: November 04, 2017 09:15PM
Yer gonna feel it tomorrow...
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 04, 2017 09:26PM
Cold bath! I think, anyway...

Hope you do keep tabs on your injuries, that doesn't sound very much fun.
Posted by: max
Date: November 04, 2017 09:26PM
billb

yeah a college kid driving a pos. He did the right thing and I'm OK.
I suppose I could have tried to fake some pain and suffering.

You wont have to, you will feel it tomorrow.
Wish you well....
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 04, 2017 09:43PM
billb
Just some skin missing on my right kneecap and a rug rash lookinng spot that might be black and blue tomorrow and a sore spot on my hip.
Chin might be black and blue tomorrow. Teeth were feeling like someone tried to rearrange them but that sensation is gone now.
Went down what has to have been the longest list of concussion symptoms I've ever heard.

Slid off the hood like I was poured out of a cup of coffee. That must have been momentum and him finally slamming on the brakes, I couldn't get up off the ground. Or didn't know how. Or something. That's the weird thing. Trying to pull myself to the curb with my forearms was weird. Then I guess I got my wits back and stood up and noticed all the people standing around. Lots of witnesses but everybody's OK.

The run probably kept you from tightening up as much as you would have otherwise.

I sincerely hope you have nothing but those bruises. I hope you involved the police. The young driver may have been driving distracted and a citation just might get him to rethink that and save a life next time, maybe his.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Kate
Date: November 04, 2017 09:47PM
Wow, so glad to hear that you are all right!

Kate
Posted by: beagledave
Date: November 04, 2017 09:57PM
Ouch...glad you're not more seriously hurt from that.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: November 04, 2017 10:35PM
billb

Check in with your dentist to see if any teeth were cracked, seriously! One of my falls off a horse happpen just before a regular check up and the only reason it was mentioned was because of the bruises on my face and yes some dental work was needed because of the fall.

Tomorrow is going to be horrible...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2017 10:37PM by Lizabeth.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 04, 2017 11:21PM
been there done that.

i'm surprised you're not more angry.

Posted by: davester
Date: November 04, 2017 11:23PM
I hope you're OK. Be sure to double and triple check yourself to make sure you're not injured. In an accident, adrenalin often kicks in, and combined with the strong desire not to be injured, can mask injuries for some time after the incident.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: srf1957
Date: November 04, 2017 11:24PM
Everybody is assuming the driver was at fault . Could be a runner didn't stop at curb and just zoomed into traffic. Trying to make his time . Hope you are O.K.
Posted by: blooz
Date: November 04, 2017 11:29PM
Geebus, what a story. Glad you were still up to running, and I do hope tomorrow isn't a trip to hell.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: wave rider
Date: November 04, 2017 11:52PM
Echoing many others, be careful of slow showing injuries. Get checked out just in case...

=wr=
Posted by: lost in space
Date: November 05, 2017 12:21AM
Glad to hear you're still vertical.

Get yourself checked out right away. I lost an uncle who felt OK after a mild ski accident. He died that night. So please . .

Posted by: stephen
Date: November 05, 2017 01:50AM
Glad you're here. Be well.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: November 05, 2017 04:27AM
It seems to me that you should be concerned about the aftermath. As others have said, it's possible that you won't know the extent of any physical damage right away.
You have been urged to get checked thoroughly asap.
The way you described the "hit" that you took left me feeling that, as good as you say you feel, you can't possibly know that you haven't sustained some sort of injury.
As my mother, who was full of clichés would say, "better safe than sorry."

Just saying...

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: DP
Date: November 05, 2017 07:13AM
GeneL
It seems to me that you should be concerned about the aftermath. As others have said, it's possible that you won't know the extent of any physical damage right away.
You have been urged to get checked thoroughly asap.
The way you described the "hit" that you took left me feeling that, as good as you say you feel, you can't possibly know that you haven't sustained some sort of injury.
As my mother, who was full of clichés would say, "better safe than sorry."

Just saying...

Glad to see you're back, Gene!
bill-go see your doc ASAP. I'm glad you were able to run afterwards but that may have aggravated an injury you didn't feel at the time due to the adrenaline rush. Glad you're walking and talking but please! Go get checked out!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: November 05, 2017 07:35AM
Sorry to hear this. DO go get a thorough checkup by an MD. Ounce of prevention...
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 05, 2017 08:08AM
Bill,

Sorry to hear about the accident. I hope you didn't suffer any injuries, major or minor. Gotta say, I'm also concerned about your apparent cavalier attitude towards the accident. Injuries from an accident may not be readily apparent for days and sometimes weeks afterward.

I hope you at least got insurance information and/or the license plate of the driver in case you have in fact suffered injuries. That and absolutely get checked out by a doctor, even if it means taking a run to an urgent care clinic. You want it on record.

Hope you feel better!

Robert
Date: November 05, 2017 08:25AM
How do you feel TODAY?
Date: November 05, 2017 10:27AM
space-time
How do you feel TODAY?

Ha! Like I played hockey with a bunch of twenty-somethings last night.

My daughter is a nurse and she latched onto the not being able to get upoff the ground right away as evidence of concussive event. That it was no different than a boxer taking a direct hit to the head and falling to his knees or the ground from the blow. Not something you should be doing (a lot ) at 64. She asked if I would have made a long count and I really don't know. I think I would have been up enough at 5. If the KO rule is standing on your own feet it would have been close.

The G/F is still kinda "mad" that I didn't get name/license number and insurance company and just brushed it off despite the surrealness of the event.
I got kind of an incredulous look this AM when I laced up my running shoes.
Life goes on. Can't let it go by.

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 05, 2017 10:28AM
please see the other side for my post.
Posted by: maco
Date: November 05, 2017 10:33AM
I'm glad that you are ok.
Date: November 05, 2017 10:38AM
I'm glad you survived the night!

Posted by: M A V I C
Date: November 05, 2017 10:43AM
If you feel your daughter has the MD side covered, at least go to a chiropractor and get xrays. I know of many people who thought they were fine, but ended up with problems years later, including myself.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: November 05, 2017 11:45AM
You almost got killed! But, you didn't. I'd say you were lucky, as it could have been much worse. Especially at your advanced age! devil smiley

I hope you mend soon, and hopefully you haven't incurred more serious injuries that went undetected.

I was walking into a Home Depot a few years ago and looked up just as an old man came flying by almost hitting me. He had his window down, and after the initial surprise of the close brush, I yelled, "Why did you try to run me down?" His reply, "There ain't no crosswalk here!" and sped off at a high rate of speed.

You can't predict what someone will do. I trust NO ONE out on the roads.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Date: November 05, 2017 12:34PM
srf1957
Everybody is assuming the driver was at fault . Could be a runner didn't stop at curb and just zoomed into traffic. Trying to make his time . Hope you are O.K.

couldn't have been more in the middle of the street and painted crosswalk. Right where the orange paint street divider would be if it continued through the crosswalk markings. Walking, not running. Nice wide streets. Plenty of visibility.
Kid rolled thru the stop sign, never came to a complete stop and never saw me until I crashed into his windshield. Might have been playing with a phone, certainly was only looking for cars, not kids/peds/bikes or anything else that you share the road with. Bad habit that many are guilty of myself included, at least at some point in time.

<Especially at your advanced age! devil smiley >
Hey !
LOL
The only "advanced age" is the energy storage above the belt I'm trying to get rid of.
For health and appearance.
And not doing too bad at it despite how hard it is.

This is a sprawling well lit college campus and I've been quite thankful and appreciative of how politely the kids here drive. Always always giving walkers and runners the right of way like they've got no better place to be.
Probably why I never even considered when I watched him coming and slowing down that he wasn't seeing me, nor wasn't going to stop.
Got some caution back now.

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: hal
Date: November 05, 2017 12:56PM
billb
Probably why I never even considered when I watched him coming and slowing down that he wasn't seeing me, nor wasn't going to stop.
Got some caution back now.

The best advice of my entire childhood came in a large meeting at school when a safety expert held the entire school hostage for a lesson in safety - it was third grade - the age where we were allowed to ride our bikes to school. It droned on and on and on, but at one point, the women asks a question, "When approaching an intersection where there is a car, what should you be looking at?"

"the car!" "the driver", the kids yelled out, but this woman shakes her head and says, 'no' while pointing to her eyes with both index fingers. "You want to see the drivers EYES and make sure that he sees you"

I always remembered that. Good job lady!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 05, 2017 01:39PM
....get checked...could have internal injuries....not visible.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 05, 2017 05:05PM
Do you remember being hit?

My partner at work was hit by a car while biking, and he doesn’t remember a thing (which is kind of the definition of a concussion, I guess) before waking up in the ambulance, but they later told him he was talking to them during his “blackout” time.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 05, 2017 07:39PM
>>"the car!" "the driver", the kids yelled out, but this woman shakes her head and says, 'no' while pointing to her eyes with both index fingers. "You want to see the drivers EYES and make sure that he sees you"

Yup, live by that as a cyclist.

Date: November 05, 2017 10:05PM
I almost hit a runner a year or so ago. There's a stop sign near me that, on the right side of the corner, has a house with a retaining wall right at the sidewalk. The wall is about 6' high and there's a solid fence at the top that is another 6' or so tall. Impossible to see over. The wall is only about 6' back from the street.

I pulled up to the intersection and the runner darted out in front of me as I was about to proceed through. It probably took him two or three steps to go from hidden to in front of my car. It was quick enough that he didn't even react to me until after he had run past me.

If I had hit him, I imagine it would have been technically my fault. But part of me thinks if someone jumps out in front of your car from a hidden location, it should be their fault.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 05, 2017 11:56PM
"If I had hit him, I imagine it would have been technically my fault. But part of me thinks if someone jumps out in front of your car from a hidden location, it should be their fault."

In Washington State, if a pedestrian launches themself off a curb in front of a vehicle so fast that a driver can't react, and hits the pedestrian, it is the pedestrian's fault.

"Bolting into traffic - No pedestrian or bicycle shall suddenly leave a curb and move into traffic so that the driver can not stop (RCW 46.61.235). "

[apps.leg.wa.gov]
Date: November 06, 2017 07:19AM
Racer X
"If I had hit him, I imagine it would have been technically my fault. But part of me thinks if someone jumps out in front of your car from a hidden location, it should be their fault."

In Washington State, if a pedestrian launches themself off a curb in front of a vehicle so fast that a driver can't react, and hits the pedestrian, it is the pedestrian's fault.

"Bolting into traffic - No pedestrian or bicycle shall suddenly leave a curb and move into traffic so that the driver can not stop (RCW 46.61.235). "

[apps.leg.wa.gov]

But once off the curb and waiting, the car better stop.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 06, 2017 08:17AM
Speedy,

"But once off the curb and waiting, the car better stop." I think you need to edit this.

"But once off the curb and waiting, the car better stop [or, at the least attempt to stop]."

Robert
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 06, 2017 10:04AM
Speedy
I sincerely hope you have nothing but those bruises. I hope you involved the police. The young driver may have been driving distracted and a citation just might get him to rethink that and save a life next time, maybe his.

I should think that actually hitting somebody with his car would be enough to get him to rethink driving distracted, if that was in fact what happened.
Date: November 06, 2017 02:19PM
mikebw
Speedy

I should think that actually hitting somebody with his car would be enough to get him to rethink driving distracted, if that was in fact what happened.
some of us have some pride and don't prey on the poor every opportunity we get
smiley-gen013

[soundcloud.com]
Date: November 06, 2017 11:01PM
Racer X

[apps.leg.wa.gov]

Good to know. Yet another reason to have a dash cam.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 247
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015